Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran

Official The X-Files (miniseries) Discussion Thread

This is the official discussion thread for The X-Files miniseries event. I'm a big fan of the television show myself so I'm looking forward to its return on January 24th.

Official promotional poster:

Official trailer:

Are you interested in watching the Mythology episodes of The X-Files, either for the first time or once again, to get caught up in the television show's intriguing conspiracy-filled story but don't know which specific episodes to keep in mind? If so, be sure to check out the following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_of_The_X-Files

Note: Do not read past the "Episodes" section, if you want to avoid spoilers.
    Last edited by Vyse; 3 Weeks Ago at 18:27.
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Are they using the original actor/actress for Mulder and Scully?
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

I Do Admin Thingies

PSN ID
    BrandonJBX
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Are they using the original actor/actress for Mulder and Scully?
    Yes. I believe the show premieres in January.
    “Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness. If, in our heart, we still cling to anything - anger, anxiety, or possessions - we cannot be free.”

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm talking about a monthly comic book series. Chris Carter and Joe Harris wrote Season 10 and Season 11 just began its publication this month. You guys are talking about the mini-series Fox picked up for next year which I never heard about until now.
    Last edited by Vyse; 4 Weeks Ago at 22:10.

I Do Admin Thingies

PSN ID
    BrandonJBX
    Now you know. Sorry for sidetracking ... just excited about the show.
    “Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness. If, in our heart, we still cling to anything - anger, anxiety, or possessions - we cannot be free.”

Ultimate Veteran
    It's great that it's also coming back to television form but I'm curious how they plan to write the episodes since it'll coincide with Season 11. Right now, Gibson Praise is the main antagonist of the story who is able to control people with his psychic powers, and Mulder is on the run from the law (with Scully trying to protect him), uncovering something called Cantus with help from The Lone Gunmen.

Ultimate Veteran
    More specifically, Gibson Praise is cloning himself and members of the Syndicate (even Bill Mulder at one point) though he doesn't want to hurt Mulder and Scully who are nonetheless being careful to act since he can always find them. I wonder what Gibson Praise is really planning, since he's become more alien than human, and why Mulder would be "confident" to believe in him?

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Didnt know anything about this, i thought this was about the new TV show that i cannot wait for! Huge xphile i was!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Ultimate Veteran
    Official trailer for the television revival:

Ultimate Veteran
    By the way, Carter confirmed that the miniseries will have no connection to the ongoing comic series. The three mythology episodes he's written are as follows:

My Struggle (January 24, 2016)
    Babylon (February 8, 2016)
    My Struggle II (February 22, 2016)

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    http://www.x-filesblu-ray.com/

FJDKSQMFJDSQIKLMFJQS
    SO MUCH $#@!ING YES
    EMAGERD
    I WANTS
    I $#@!IN WANTSSSSSS

Ultimate Veteran
    Wow, that is awesome. So it's available a month before the miniseries airs?

holy .. yes. i can't wait.

Ultimate Veteran
    You guys might find this bit of news interesting:

Could The X-Files be adding new fuel to the fire of a popular fan theory?

Asked about the idea that Gillian Anderson’s Dana Scully is immortal, creator Chris Carter told The Huffington Post, “It’s certainly been suggested, but I can tell you this: Stay tuned for episode 6.”

In other words, do the opposite of what a certain crime scene photographer would suggest: Don’t close your eyes.

The theory has its roots in an episode from The X-Files’ third season, “Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose,” in which Peter Boyle — who would go on to win an Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor — plays a man capable of discerning how people will die. When Scully asks how she’ll meet her end, Bruckman replies, “You don’t.”

Writer Darin Morgan, who also won an Emmy for the landmark hour, told The Hollywood Reporter in a retrospective that he never intended fans to take the line seriously, but the series went on to back it up: In season 6’s “Tithonus,” penned by Vince Gilligan, Scully meets a crime scene photographer who has apparently been unable to die since he looked away from Death in a moment of illness. When Scully is shot, he instructs her to do the same and dies in her place.

Four episodes later, in an episode co-written by Gilligan, Scully and Mulder (David Duchovny) are caught in a time loop, repeating the same day on end until they can prevent a bank explosion that kills them both; some fans have suggested that the day keeps resetting because Scully cannot die. There’s also the matter of Scully’s ouroboros tattoo, an ancient symbol of, in Carter’s words, “eternal return” — and the fact that Anderson is all but aging in reverse.

As for whether the revival will address the issue directly or just drop new hints, only time will tell. But Scully may have a lot of that.

The X-Files returns Jan. 24 on Fox.
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/14...l-chris-carter

Also, the promotional poster is pretty cool:

Last edited by Vyse; 4 Weeks Ago at 22:05.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Gillian Anderson is a sexy, sophisticated woman now. I find her way more attractive at this age than when she began her career on this show. Just look at them fine legs in Hannibal. Goddaayum!!

Also, I just started watching the first season of the show. So I'm getting into it for the first time ever. I would always see my dad put it on when I was a kid, but I could never get into it. The theme song creeped me the $#@! out too. Now that I'm seeing it as an adult, I like it a lot.

I went expecting there to be cheesy one-liners and puns and stereotypical conspiracy theory crap, but it's not that at all. The dialogue is very smart and the personalities of the characters are so perfect. It's a show for conspiracy theorists and skeptics. I'm always siding with Dana because I personally do not believe in Aliens on Earth living among us. I believe there is life out there in the universe, but no way there would E.T.'s on Earth. So that's why I always side with Dana. That's not to say I won't side with Fox sometimes. Anyway I love the show so far. I finished the 8th episode, which was pretty much a nice homage to The Thing and I love the Seth Green celeb cameo LOL.

Ultimate Veteran
    You might be thinking of Julianne Moore who starred in Hannibal. I don't recall seeing Gillian Anderson in the movie. But I agree that Gillian Anderson is a really attractive actress. She's one of the reasons I enjoy the show so much along with David Duchovny's role as Fox Mulder who also wrote some episodes for The X-Files (though I don't remember which off the top of my head).

Normally, I'm only interested in the mythology/alien conspiracy-based episodes of The X-Files but there are some monster of the week episodes that I've found interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_of_The_X-Files

Note: Do not read past the "Episodes" section, if you want to avoid spoilers.
    Last edited by Vyse; 3 Weeks Ago at 18:20.

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    He's meaning the series I assume, on TV

Gillian has always looked beautiful in my eyes!
    Love the X-Files, definitely hoping this miniseries will do justice too and not like a 'let's just try modernise this'-thing.

Ultimate Veteran
    Oh, The Jersey Devil? Yeah, I didn't watch a lot of the monster of the week episodes when I had re-watched the show on Netflix a couple years ago so the reference was lost on me.

PSN ID
    ask through private message
    I'm really looking forward to this! I loved the show when it originally aired but there's a lot of episodes I missed here or there. I've been catching up on the show via Amazon Prime Instant Video. The first movie they did was pretty good too IMO but I didn't care as much for the second movie.

I pretty much enjoy any show that had fantasy, horror, ghost, alien life kind of stories...Tales From the Darkside, The Twilight Zone, Tales From the Crypt, Jim Henson's The Storyteller, Friday the 13th the series, The Outer Limits ('95-'02 version), and The X-Files.

As for the X-Files collectors set blu-rays for $299, I think I'll wait for a price drop but it's certainly worth owning. I love The X-Files and can't wait for the miniseries to begin soon. I hope they do the show justice. With Fuller House also coming on soon, I feel like I'm back in the 90s all over again. lol
    Last edited by Chewbacca; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:29.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    You might be thinking of Julianne Moore who starred in Hannibal.
    Nope, the TV show of the same name with Gillian in it as a sexy shrink.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    ...Gillian... as a sexy shrink.
    I've had that fantasy too.

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this! I loved the show when it originally aired but there's a lot of episodes I missed here or there. I've been catching up on the show via Amazon Prime Instant Video. The first movie they did was pretty good too IMO but I didn't care as much for the second movie.

I pretty much enjoy any show that had fantasy, horror, ghost, alien life kind of stories...Tales From the Darkside, The Twilight Zone, Tales From the Crypt, Jim Henson's The Storyteller, Friday the 13th the series, The Outer Limits ('95-'02 version), and The X-Files.

As for the X-Files collectors set blu-rays for $299, I think I'll wait for a price drop but it's certainly worth owning. I love The X-Files and can't wait for the miniseries to begin soon. I hope they do the show justice. With Fuller House also coming on soon, I feel like I'm back in the 90s all over again. lol
    I know right, the pricing is too harsh...
    IF it would've been a bundle with the series, the movies AND the miniseries of 'The Lone Gunmen' I would've gotten it for that price without a doubt!
    Might just get the DVD box for that though, but will definitely get the bluray box once it's properly priced!

Ultimate Veteran
    Yeah, even though it's over 146 hours of the television show remastered in high-definition, $300 does seem a little pricey. I would have recommended it came bundled with The X-Files: Fight the Future and The Lone Gunmen but would rather not see I Want to Believe included as I personally don't consider the second movie canon (or, I should say, I just don't care to re-watch it).
    Last edited by Vyse; 3 Weeks Ago at 21:34.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    $150 is a little more reasonable price for a bundle like this. For $300, I wanna get some limited edition artwork, action figures and a SETI membership.

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    $150 is a little more reasonable price for a bundle like this. For $300, I wanna get some limited edition artwork, action figures and a SETI membership.
    I'd expect Area 51 entry tickets included

26. Likes Lebowski likes this post

Thread Information