Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Here's The Box That Can Turn a Puny Laptop Into a Graphical Powerhouse

http://gizmodo.com/heres-the-box-tha...gra-1724958260

USB Type-C is shaping up to be the holy grail of ports. It can charge your laptop, deliver 4K video, and transfer loads of USB data all over a single cable—all at the same time. What could be better? You’re looking at the answer.
    What you see in these pictures is a hub that uses Intel’s Thunderbolt 3, a supercharged version of USB-C with doublethe bandwidth. What does that actually mean in practice? It’s fast enough that you can actually augment the power of a relatively weak laptop with an external graphics card... yes, while still charging the laptop... driving two 4K monitors... and powering your USB devices all at the same time. Here’s what that looks like:

That’s right: with just a single USB-C Thunderbolt cable plugged into the side of this super thin, super light laptop we spotted at IDF 2015, you get three USB 3.0 ports, two HDMI ports, two DisplayPorts, external audio, and ethernet all at the same time. Plus an extra USB Type-C port for—in this case—attaching a ridiculously-fast external solid state drive.

The best part isn’t the plethora of ports, though: it’s the fact that this sleek box has an external graphics chip inside. In this case, an AMD Radeon R9 M385. Hello, games!
    What if you need even more graphical muscle? Say, if you want to plug your thin and light laptop in at night and play some Grand Theft Auto V? Thunderbolt 3 can handle a way bigger external graphics card dock, too. Here’s what it looks like with a full-size AMD R9 200 series graphics card, delivering a respectable framerate in the Unigine Heaven benchmark.

Sadly, all of these Thunderbolt 3 boxes—and the laptop—are just Inventec reference designs, not commercial products yet. Plus, Intel won’t say what they might cost or when they might arrive, though the first real Thunderbolt 3 products will allegedly start hitting the market by the end of the year.
    Will manufacturers actually build external graphics solutions with Thunderbolt 3? “Watch this space,” says Navin Shenoy, an Intel executive.

Forum Sage
    Wonder how alienware's solution compares to this.

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Looks interesting, bet it won't be cheap though!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Would be pretty cool if they sold USB-3C empty enclosures for graphics cards. That way you can pick whatever GPU and upgrade, etc. Still would be pretty expensive, I bet. Especially Thunderbolt 3.

Forum Sage

I'm wondering what the pricing is. Something tells me, you'd be better off buying a more powerful laptop with the ability to output "4K" video onto an external monitor. It seems to be a novel solution but I fear it may be just that and not any real viable solution. I wish the manufacturers would focus more on extended battery capabilities so that they wouldn't have to compromise on the performance side of the laptop itself. This seems to me to be a halfway measure.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    I'm wondering what the pricing is. Something tells me, you'd be better off buying a more powerful laptop with the ability to output "4K" video onto an external monitor. It seems to be a novel solution but I fear it may be just that and not any real viable solution. I wish the manufacturers would focus more on extended battery capabilities so that they wouldn't have to compromise on the performance side of the laptop itself. This seems to me to be a halfway measure.
    Um, that is what they have been doing for the last several years.

Super Elite
    This is probably a red herring
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Thread Information