General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation

PSU - Until Dawn Review

Our review of Until Dawn is now live.

http://www.psu.com/review/27924/Unti...ly-consequence

I've also played it, though I'm about 6 hours in.

These are my thoughts and not from the official review.

Supermassive Games’ PS4 exclusive survival horror game has moved me, quite literally. While playing Until Dawn, I’ve arched backwards in fright with mouth agape, and jumped off my chair to sit smack bang in front of the T.V. to ensure I don’t miss one of the quick-time events, where death is just one wrong button press away. While some of the scares in the game are built up rather cleverly with the use of the carefully-crafted language from its cast of unlikeable characters, as well as the anxiety levels being driven up a notch thanks to the clichéd slasher-inspired environments and bum-clenching soundtrack, it’s the faces and character models that really sent chills up my spine. Until Dawn is the best looking game I’ve ever played in that respect as it’s often difficult to distinguish these characters from real people and digitally-produced art.

Watching Until Dawn’s story unfold feels like you’re sitting in the movie theatre. The expressions of joy, anxiety and fear spread across the faces of its eight lead characters like no other game, transporting you directly into its world so that you become transfixed by the interactions they have with each other. For that reason alone, Until Dawn sets a new benchmark for realism in videogames. It blurs the boundaries between real-life and fantasy and produces a visually-stimulating masterpiece that is hard to take your eyes off.

Beyond its looks, Until Dawn really makes you think. In a game that revolves around choices, you feel like any small decision you make impacts what happens. You may all survive, or you may all die based on the pathways you take, and it’s this feeling of having the power of life and death in your hands that makes each decision-making moment an exciting and nerve-racking prospect. The Butterfly Effect, which in Chaos Theory suggests that the flapping of a butterfly’s wings several weeks earlier can cause a hurricane today, plays out in full-effect with minor decisions affecting relationships between the game’s characters, in turn changing the future dramatically.

Until Dawn isn’t just a videogame in the strictest sense of the word but an interactive work of art, a PS4 exclusive that pushes the boundaries of its medium with its grand experiment of marrying the popular slasher genre with videogame scares. In some respects it goes a little overboard with the frights, which happen so frequently that they begin to lack real impact, but so far it’s an experience that I'm finding utterly compelling.

2. Likes Lethal , Andy, Major likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Has been getting decent reviews to be fair, for sure one to pick up eventually but not a day 1 title for me, nice review!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Sounds like I'm going to enjoy this then. Shame it sounds a relatively short game. I assuming, due to the nature of the gameplay interactions, there's no difficulty setting? Or is there?

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    No difficulty setting. Kyle reckons it's around 8-10 hours. I'm 6 hours in and on Chapter 6 (there's 10 chapters). So it looks like about an hour per chapter.

6. Likes Major likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    But with so many choices and different characters to play through again with something different happening you wouldn't want it to be too long I suppose........
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Seems about right to me. I mean it's like a movie. If it was longer it would just get irritating. That's more than enough, and replay value with different decisions.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    hmmm, not sure if this a buy or rent now, just watched the gamespot review

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I'm going to pass.

Good review. I'm not a fan of horror movies or games, but you've made me intrigued. Sounds like a fun ride.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Games like this will get odd reviews because it's not a pew, pew, pew game.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    It's an intriguing game that's turned out better than I thought it would when I played it back at E3. Myself and the reviewer Kyle were on stream with it last night and it was my first taste of how the final product turned out. Looks beautiful, paced well, lots of brooding atmosphere, etc. Not for everyone, perhaps, and maybe not one to buy at full whack, but definitely worth picking up in the future.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    I guess Microsoft fanboys are giving Until Dawn bad reviews on metacritic. 31 negative and no reviews on why they gave it a horrible score? Lol.

15. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    after watching repeat plays, its not even a rent for me...lovely graphics but thats all thats impressed me.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder

18. Likes Major likes this post
    PSN ID
    NilleJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Phew. Even though I was waiting for it, it still managed to get me.

20. Likes Lethal likes this post
    The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Has anyone completed it? What are the impressions?

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Thread Information