Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage

A journalist & Cameraman Murdered On Live TV Article Plus Video WARNING: NSFW

https://youtu.be/3IeuxJTowis

ROANOKE — The gunman turned on the video recorder just before 6:45 Wednesday morning and, whispering a single sexist slur, pointed his black Glock at the TV reporter standing in front of him.

Alison Parker, 24, was interviewing the head of the local chamber of commerce live on Roanoke’s “News 7 Mornin’ ” show when the shooting began. Vester L. Flanagan II — an embittered former colleague — would soon post the horror he recorded to Facebook and Twitter. Parker and a cameraman, Adam Ward, 27, died at the scene; the chamber director, Vicki Gardner, 62, underwent surgery and is expected to recover.

The killings were part of what appears to have been an elaborate plot carried out by a troubled man who — after years of professional turmoil and a growing rage he linked to the mass shooting at a Charleston, S.C., church — was determined to wreak vengeance against co-workers he insisted had wronged him.
    WARNING! THE VIDEO IS GRAPHIC AND NSFW!
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...74b_story.html

The rest of the article is in the link.

What a $#@!ing disgrace for a human being. There is no room in society for this sort of behavior.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 4 Days Ago at 08:12.

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Unfortunately when you are legally allowed to carry guns this is what happens, aren't shootings pretty bad in America as a whole at the moment?
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    There is no room in society for this sort of behavior.
    You don't say! HA! Well, like Duff says, if you are legally allowed to own a gun, then you later become mentally unwell, this sort of thing is always a possibility. It's the price you North American's pay for your right to own guns I guess. It's not the first and I'm damn sure it's not the last either. There do seem to have been many shootings publicised over the media in recent times though. More so than I can recall years gone by. Maybe that's just the way media has gone and I'm more aware.

Do we have a "why he did it" explanation yet? I'm not talking just because he was mentally unwell, that's clear. I mean, what led up to this? Why those co-workers?
    Welcome to the Ministry of Truth where 2 + 2 = 5.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    You don't say! HA! Well, like Duff says, if you are legally allowed to own a gun, then you later become mentally unwell, this sort of thing is always a possibility. It's the price you North American's pay for your right to own guns I guess. It's not the first and I'm damn sure it's not the last either. There do seem to have been many shootings publicised over the media in recent times though. More so than I can recall years gone by. Maybe that's just the way media has gone and I'm more aware.

Do we have a "why he did it" explanation yet? I'm not talking just because he was mentally unwell, that's clear. I mean, what led up to this? Why those co-workers?
    He was getting "revenge on the co-workers that wronged him"

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Apparently they were racist to him. Dude was just a loon waiting for any excuse to pop someone.

How many more murders will it take before people see sense? Yeah, guns don't kill people, people kill people. But guns make it infinitely easier.

Saying that, Norway allow you to own guns but only semi-automatic/bolt action. I believe their gun crime is quite low (apart from that Island shooting a few years back) No normal person needs a flipping automatic gun to defend themselves. No one.
    PC: i7-3930K | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ | Corsair AX1200i | RoG Swift | Corsair Obsidian 800D

Watercooling: EK-Bay Spin Reservoir | EKWB Supremacy | EKWB Titan X Acetal+Nickel
    360mm + 120mm Radiators | Liang D5 pump | Primochill tubing | Barrow Fittings

500GB Black PS4

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    He was getting "revenge on the co-workers that wronged him"
    Oh, well, that's alright then.

Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    S...Norway allow you to own guns but only semi-automatic/bolt action. I believe their gun crime is quite low (apart from that Island shooting a few years back) No normal person needs a flipping automatic gun to defend themselves. No one.
    Interesting you say that. I understand Canada too has similar laws on gun ownership but have nowhere near the same amount of shootings going on. Just what I understand, could be wrong. Interesting point if true though. What is it about the USA that makes these more frequent incidents?

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Unfortunately when you are legally allowed to carry guns this is what happens, aren't shootings pretty bad in America as a whole at the moment?
    Duffy the Vampire Player... no. Bad boy. That's not the problem. The gun is just a tool. It can either be used to commit good deeds or it can be used to commit evil deeds. The problem is with the individual. Always has been.

For your first paragraph, look at my response to Duffman. As for the second response. It was actually the mass shooting in Charleston, South Carolina, that sent him "over the edge". In reality, he was a racist black man who wanted to murder "whitey". He even faxed a manifesto to ABC news a couple hours after he committed the crime, detailing his "reasoning".

Apparently they were racist to him. Dude was just a loon waiting for any excuse to pop someone.

How many more murders will it take before people see sense? Yeah, guns don't kill people, people kill people. But guns make it infinitely easier.

Saying that, Norway allow you to own guns but only semi-automatic/bolt action. I believe their gun crime is quite low (apart from that Island shooting a few years back) No normal person needs a flipping automatic gun to defend themselves. No one.
    Actually, no one was being racist to him. He was using the actions of others to justify his own actions and position of being a racist. He himself, was subhuman.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    That's why I said apparently. I had no doubt he was just using everything and anything as an excuse

Watercooling: EK-Bay Spin Reservoir | EKWB Supremacy | EKWB Titan X Acetal+Nickel

500GB Black PS4

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    There are probably more killings by knives than guns. But nobody talks about that.....

10. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    There are probably more killings by knives than guns. But nobody talks about that.....
    They do if you live in England, knife crime is pretty high here!

Forum Sage

They do if you live in England, knife crime is pretty high here!
    I'm surprised your country hasn't outlawed knives yet.

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Problem is they are a lot easier to get hold of, a gun can't chop vegetables for you

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    ...The gun is just a tool. It can either be used to commit good deeds or it can be used to commit evil deeds. The problem is with the individual. Always has been.

He himself, was subhuman.
    No, he's not sub-human (whatever that is/means) he's perfectly human. Humans kill. I'm not so convinced of what people deem humans good natured-ness. Personally I think that's a con. Life isn't as simple as that. Stuff happens, lives are affected, people get pushed this way and that. Actions have consequences. Consequences in a country where guns are readily available means shootings or mass shootings as demonstrated by this and other such events. If guns were not so readily available he wouldn't have been able to do this would he? Would he? So I'll leave that point there.

The problem may be with the individual but there's no escaping the fact that guns availability in the USA makes them so much more likely to be used to kill another human being. Otherwise, yes, a gun is a tool. A tool designed to kill, not for anything else. Please don't say hunting, that would be silly.

Well they have actually.
    It is illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long
    Problem is they are a lot easier to get hold of, a gun can't chop vegetables for you
    What about if I fix a bayonet on the end? Fix a bayonet to a flamethrower then you have a multi-purpose cooking implement. Chop it and cook it all with the same tool!
    Last edited by Major; 4 Days Ago at 14:52.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    In the US nope, it's not even close. About 2/3 of homicides are by firearms.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    In the US nope, it's not even close. About 2/3 of homicides are by firearms.
    lol i like how someone from uk knows more then someone that lives in the usa

Forum Sage
    I don't know about anybody else, but if you are going to speak on a subject, I would expect you to be knowledgeable about what it is you are speaking about. Instead of spewing a bunch of BS. I thought I had this issue essentially ironed out on PSU, but it seems I was wrong.

Except this guy wouldn't exactly be considered mentally stable. If you look at the data collected on those who are legally allowed to carry (with a carry permit, from states like Texas and Florida who collect such data) they have the lowest crime rate of any group in the US.

http://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/...ted-States.pdf

http://drgo.us/?p=1693

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/ch.../convrates.htm

And violent crime continues to decrease.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...rimemain_final

But of course the media doesn't really report this, which tends to make people think otherwise.

Care to show me where normal persons are using automatic guns to defend themselves?

18. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    That's why Americans buy guns to protect themselves no? That's why it's such a bad thing to mention taking them away cause you need them in case a tyrannical government you need to protect yourselves. Right?

But seriously. Why is it possible for someone to by an assault rifle or automatic gun?

TapaTalking from my Mind.

500GB Black PS4

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    I don't know about anybody else, but if you are going to speak on a subject, I would expect you to be knowledgeable about what it is you are speaking about. Instead of spewing a bunch of BS.
    Thanks for the patronisation However...

...If you look at the data collected on those who are legally allowed to carry (with a carry permit, from states like Texas and Florida who collect such data) they have the lowest crime rate of any group in the US...
    Would you be so kind, for those less observant than me, to clarify the difference between 'legally allowed to carry' and simply owning a gun? Unless I'm very much mistaken (which I know I'm not) those are 2 distinctly different states of gun ownership and your being disingenuous to subliminally suggest that gun crime is only carried out by those who are 'legally allowed to carry'. If you own a gun you can simply stick it inside your jacket or whatever and walk out of the house. I don't think anyone willing to shoot someone with a gun gives 2 hoots about a license to carry either, I'm sure you'd agree.

Also, regarding the BS, what happens to that data when we look not only at those 'legally allowed to carry' but also at every single incident involving a gun? Can we get that data too? Can we get that cleared up on PSU please?

Sonata Dusk
    America has a problem with poor healthcare for the mentally ill, not a gun problem. I don't think that would have prevented this particular case from happening, but it would help get a lot of unstable people the help they need. That, and our media tends to glorify these killers with all the attention and terror-building they create for views. Vester Flanagan wrote how inspired he was by previous shooters. I wonder who his double homicide, now being widely discussed on media across the country, will inspire next?

You have these few people angry at the world and wanting to die, and they get the idea to take others with them before they go as an act of revenge or comfort. "Vester managed to kill two people. I wonder if I can kill three?" For some it really is just a game.

This is the 239th day of the year. America has had 249 mass shootings so far this year. That's an average or more than one a day. When will we admit as a society we have a problem?

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    if that's the case how many in other countries and don't tell me there is less because we all know that's a load. I really do believe the reason the USA sticks out more is because the media echoes it from the mountain top. People like to paint the USA as such a dangerous place and how messed up it is.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    America has a problem with poor healthcare for the mentally ill, not a gun problem.
    Well I'm not sure about the gun problem argument but i do agree there is a problem with mental health and mental health care. That's humanity's problem too of course, not just USA.

This is the 239th day of the year. America has had 249 mass shootings so far this year. That's an average or more than one a day. When will we admit as a society we have a problem?
    Whether you believe in a gun problem or not that's a pretty shocking statistic. Average of more than 1 a day!

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    I don't think mental health has anything to do with shootings.

It only takes a second for a perfectly sane person to switch and see red and it only takes that one second to make a very bad decision.

A gun can make anyone brave. I wouldn't ever take on a big built 6' 2" boxer with my fists but I'd fancy my chances if you placed a gun in my hand.

500GB Black PS4

Forum Sage
    That's why Americans buy guns to protect themselves no? That's why it's such a bad thing to mention taking them away cause you need them in case a tyrannical government you need to protect yourselves. Right?

But seriously. Why is it possible for someone to by an assault rifle or automatic gun?

#1: What is an "assault rifle"?

#2: Where is the issue? Is there some evidence that suggest that a significant or large amount of crime is committed with those kinds of guns?

Thanks for the patronisation However...

Would you be so kind, for those less observant than me, to clarify the difference between 'legally allowed to carry' and simply owning a gun? Unless I'm very much mistaken (which I know I'm not) those are 2 distinctly different states of gun ownership and your being disingenuous to subliminally suggest that gun crime is only carried out by those who are 'legally allowed to carry'. If you own a gun you can simply stick it inside your jacket or whatever and walk out of the house. I don't think anyone willing to shoot someone with a gun gives 2 hoots about a license to carry either, I'm sure you'd agree.

Also, regarding the BS, what happens to that data when we look not only at those 'legally allowed to carry' but also at every single incident involving a gun? Can we get that data too? Can we get that cleared up on PSU please?
    Duffman mentioned the issue with people legally carrying guns. I responded with evidence that people legally carrying guns are not the issue.

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc..._2009-2013.xls

America has a problem with poor healthcare for the mentally ill, not a gun problem. I don't think that would have prevented this particular case from happening, but it would help get a lot of unstable people the help they need. That, and our media tends to glorify these killers with all the attention and terror-building they create for views. Vester Flanagan wrote how inspired he was by previous shooters. I wonder who his double homicide, now being widely discussed on media across the country, will inspire next?

You have these few people angry at the world and wanting to die, and they get the idea to take others with them before they go as an act of revenge or comfort. "Vester managed to kill two people. I wonder if I can kill three?" For some it really is just a game.

Except we have not had 249 mass shootings in the 239 days of this year so far. It helps if you actually use good data rather than the rubbish that is put out there.

http://crimeresearch.org/2015/07/was...ays-this-year/

And for numbers thrown around last year:

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/06/1...t-on-the-rise/

[QUOTE=BBK..;6471541]I don't think mental health has anything to do with shootings.

You cannot be serious.

It only takes a second for a perfectly sane person to switch and see red and it only takes that one second to make a very bad decision.

A gun can make anyone brave. I wouldn't ever take on a big built 6' 2" boxer with my fists but I'd fancy my chances if you placed a gun in my hand.

Except for the fact that the facts/evidence do not support that claim. As I posted earlier, people who have permits to carry firearms concealed have lower overall crime rates than the general public.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Duffman mentioned the issue with people legally carrying guns. I responded with evidence that people legally carrying guns are not the issue.
    I'll bet my shooting arm that that is not what Duffman meant specifically. That's just your interpretation of his statement, picking up on that particular difference. I'll wager Duff was speaking of the legality of firearms in general but we'd have to ask him to be sure. Fair enough though, maybe just crossed wires.

Sonata Dusk
    I don't think mental health has anything to do with shootings.
    Does Vester Flanagan not strike you as being unstable?

In what situation would you feel inclined to bring harm to this boxer? I assume only if he was a threat to you, in which case I'm sure you'd wish you had a gun in your hand if you didn't.

It must seem strange or even scary to someone living outside the United States, but people don't have their trigger finger ready to kill here. Someone doesn't get upset at the grocery line and decide to instill some personal justice using bullets. A small minority of people actually carry a gun and those that do are, in majority, savvy enough to use the weapon properly. America does have a lot of guns but that also comes with a gun culture that respects them as tools for defense (or hunting).

Firearm homicides are often a result of gang violence or premeditation -- in which case anything lethal could be utilized. Do you realize how easy it is to kill people without a gun? I could get in my car and drive along the sidewalk at my local park and kill 20 people easily. If I want revenge on a particular person then I stab them, or I beat them to death with a bat, or make a home-made bomb (cheap supplies needed and guides easily found online). Killing is easy whether guns are easily available or not. It's the person doing it that matters.

Except we have not had 249 mass shootings in the 239 days of this year so far. It helps if you actually use good data rather than the rubbish that is put out there.

http://crimeresearch.org/2015/07/was...ays-this-year/

And for numbers thrown around last year:

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/06/1...t-on-the-rise/
    Is the source I posted listing false information? No? Then it's perfectly good data to represent the point at hand. We're not discussing specific definitions the FBI chooses to a use.

Thread Information