Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Oculus Rift Pricing Revealed

The price of the Oculus Rift has been revealed today and it hasn't gone down well at all. It's a rather steep $599, 699 or 499! That's before shipping and any taxes or import duties too!

Pretty much every comment on the Facebook posts are of negativity and disappointment.

I for one am quite shocked, it's a fair bit more what they hoped the price point would be back in 2014.

The below quote is taken from here:

http://www.alphr.com/oculus-rift/100...s-now-open-and

An interview with Oculus founder Palmer Luckey has revealed that the Rift could cost more than $350. Im going to be perfectly honest with you. Were roughly in that ballpark, but its going to cost more than that, said Luckey in the interview with Road to VR.

$599 isn't exactly "roughly in that ballpark" is it now??

I had a DK2 for a couple of months and thought it was great and I was excited for the consumer version, this is quite the kick in the nuts!

I upgraded my PC to a 980ti so I was ready for it, but now I don't know if I want to spend that much. Maybe after all the negativity they'll rethink their pricing, but it's doubtful. Over a grand just for VR seems a bit much.

Depending on Sony's pricing for PlayStation VR that might be the better choice and the more I hear about it the more I like it.

What are your thoughts?

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SA80A2
    Yowsers that is expensive!

Surprised Sony haven't announced the price point for PS VR at CES yet; not sure if they will at all during the show. Obviously playing the long game again, although an announcement this close to Oculus with a price of say, $3-400 would really put them in the limelight.

Then again they may have priced it high and ready to announce then forced a quick rethink following the general reaction to the OR pricing!
    He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
    More reliable than a garden strimmer
    He's never been mistaken for Yul Brynner
    He's not bald, and his head doesn't glimmer

Power Member

Oculus Rift Pricing Revealed

Sony probably need a bigger show so they can also announce all the games and apps launching with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Lets hope Sony take note then and release PS VR at a much lower price or they will have the same reaction!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    I actually don't think the price is all that bad. I'll be getting one as long as it gets reviewed well.

Sonata Dusk
    It's brand new tech for high-end users, the price makes sense given the hardware involved. I imagine they'll lower it appropriately as competitors release and the technology moves forward.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    It's brand new tech for high-end users, the price makes sense given the hardware involved. I imagine they'll lower it appropriately as competitors release and the technology moves forward.
    Exactly. I thought it was pricey at first but then I thought about my own PC and realised that it's actually priced OK. Obviously I can only talk about myself.

My CPU at release cost 490.
    My GPU at release cost 620
    My Monitor at release cost 725
    My Watercooling loop cost me best part of 800.

So to spend 500 on new technology which seems to be of a pretty decent quality, I actually think it's quite a fair price for a launch when you put it into context. It will go down in price as well and early adopters always take that hit. I think I'll invest in one around the summer time.

Superior Member
    I'd be happier if it had a higher resolution, but it's only 2160 x 1200. The DK2 was 1920 x 1080 and I found the pixels to be very noticeable, the slight increase in resolution isn't going to make it them that much less pronounced.

It's practically twice the price I paid for the DK2, I think that's party why this price is so unexpected.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Is that 2160x1200 per screen? if so any higher and it would be hard to run. My overclocked 980Ti doesn't even like 2560x1440 in all games

El Presidente
    Remember when the ps3 came out for $600 and there was that image going around?

Will VR have games?

Sent from 2000ft under the crust

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Superior Member
    That's the overall resolution, it's 1080 x 1200 per eye.

The recommended PC specs are a an i5 4590 and a GTX 970 or R9 290, so pretty modest in that respect.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Oh. I thought that resolution was per eye! 980Ti should chew through one of these then.

I think I'll need to use one for an hour or so but I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one. Nothing else I need want to buy for my PC this year. Maybe a new Mamba mouse.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Geeeez. Right off the bat many people will need to spend $350 on a video card that will run this. You are looking at about $1000 or more to run Oculus Rift..........

I have the dev kit and it is annoying as hell having all the cables running all over. Strange how the dev kit did not require a GTX 970 or better.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Which is quite pricey way of looking at it but I expect all of those who pre-ordered it probably already have the required hardware (and then some).

As long as I don't get motion sickness whilst playing it I will get one for sure.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Holy $#@!! $#@! this. No way I'm paying 600 bucks for a peripheral.

Media Content Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    They could've $#@!ed off the controller and games with it, even though they can SAY 'free stuff' it doesn't really mean free, just marketing.

I don't need a lame controller or free games.
    I got ma $#@!.
    The Dev kit was only 350 and yes, an upgrade wouldve been nice, I could live with 400 actually but 600 euros is just completely ridiculous, they $#@!ed themselves up the butt on that one for sure..

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    I agree, it doesn't need to come with the added things and would be better if they either sold it alone or with their own controller but thats been delayed.

I really don't think it's that extortionate. Remember, the Sony HMZ-T3 Viewer was best part of 1300 when that was released. And that had 720p screens only last year.

Me thinks this is a case of people wanting everything yet not willing to pay for it.

Forum Overseer
    time to buy some lube guys for Sony's VR now...i'm not expecting it to be much cheaper...maybe a $100.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Holy $#@!! $#@! this. No way I'm paying 600 bucks for a peripheral.
    I wouldn't pay $600 for a new graphics-card or a racing wheel either. But a monitor.. projector.. means of viewing games? A new way of experiencing games? That's a whole nother question.

This of course begs the question whether the headset can be used as if it was just another monitor.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    time to buy some lube guys for Sony's VR now...i'm not expecting it to be much cheaper...maybe a $100.
    Sony can afford to take a loss on the product. I predict $349.99

Forum Overseer
    that's true, let's hope they don't go too high. $349 is doable. i'll probably dive into it when it's in the $200s.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Sony can afford to take a loss on the product. I predict $349.99
    They aren't competing with anybody so why the hell would they?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    They aren't competing with anybody so why the hell would they?
    Lets see. Competing with Oculus Rift, Gear VR, and soon the Holo lens by Microsoft.

Price is very important if they want to accumulate a large user base for this product. And Sony already knows what happens when they release something at $599.99.........

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    PS VR actually has no competition as it's the only VR device that works on the PS4 and it doesn't work on the PC so it's an isolated market. Technically Sony can charge whatever they like and they have no issues with competition, they don't need to sell at a loss.

As for the Rift, WAY too expensive. I'd rather pick up a top end 4K monitor for that price.

Thread Information