Page 1 of 9 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran

PlayStation VR has more than 100 games in the works, says Sony

Speaking with the BBC at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2016) in Las Vegas this week, Sony confirmed that there are more than 100 titles currently in development for its virtual reality headset, PlayStation VR.

The news comes from the mouth of Kaz Hirai who also said that PlayStation VR had “attracted a lot of support from third-party game developers.” Despite the positive message from the Sony President, PlayStation VR has had a rather low-key presence at CES 2016 where it was expected that further details about the headset, alongside pricing and release date, may have been revealed.

The first move in the realm of virtual reality headsets, however, was made by Oculus Rift earlier this week. The headset is now available to pre-order with a release date of March 28, 2016. The price of the Oculus Rift has been set at $599.99.

Some are speculating that Sony may have been waiting to see how its rival would price its headset before finalizing the price for PlayStation VR. However, market research suggests that Sony’s headset will retail at between $400-$600.

Some of the games confirmed for PlayStation VR include Battlezone, Dreams, Jurassic Encounter and The London Heist.
    Source

Interesting about the headset possibly retailing between $400-$600. Would most people be willing to purchase a virtual reality headset for, say, $499, if not matching the Oculus Rift at $599?
    Last edited by Vyse; 03-13-2016 at 20:46. Reason: Typo.
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Drake (Uncharted 4: A Thief's End)
    Would you look at that? A secret cave behind the waterfall! Gentlemen, we're on a pirate adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
    Interesting about the headset possibly retailing between $400-$600. Would most people be willing to purchase a virtual reality headset for, say, $499, if not matching the Oculus Rift at $599?
    Most? No. But I don't think it will ever have any sort of heavy market presence until it's pretty cheap. So, they have to reach out to the niche...$399 would be best, but the PSVR is such a beefy gizmo, it may be impossible to get it out for less than $499. It'll have some success either way, I think, and I'd be shocked if they didn't price it at least $100 less than the Oculus. The thing that gets me about that piece is the number of games. How many will be really VR-centric, and how many will be simply adaptions of existing titles?

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I've pre-ordered. 400 or 600 doesn't matter on whether -I- buy it or not. But if it costs $600 and doesn't provide a reasonable cause to pick up and play everyday, I might end up selling it.

Rest assured I'm demoing this sucker to young and old, and I'm expecting to keep the VR headset for when PS5 arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    Rest assured I'm demoing this sucker to young and old, and I'm expecting to keep the VR headset for when PS5 arrives.
    The way it's designed--processors and whatnot working in tandem between the units--I think it's a good bet it'll be compatible with the next PlayStation.

5. Likes Bigdoggy likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
    The way it's designed--processors and whatnot working in tandem between the units--I think it's a good bet it'll be compatible with the next PlayStation.
    It sure must be compatible, we are talking about an expensive gear here. But no one can assure if there is a version 2 release with ps5 or not.

BTW I wonder how can people with glasses gonna use that thing ?
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    It sure must be compatible, we are talking about an expensive gear here. But no one can assure if there is a version 2 release with ps5 or not.
    Yeah...that's really a hard call to make. If this model and a superior model are both compatible with PS5, that could lead to some weirdness, and confusion. But not having a better VR headset with the improved hardware could be wasting the potential of that pairing. So...I don't know. It's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingo
    BTW I wonder how can people with glasses gonna use that thing ?
    My guess is--not well.

Power Member
    I think I'll get it at some point this year but nothing is screaming day 1 buy yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    People wearing glasses can use the PSVR no problem. The headset isn't resting on the users face, but instead the head-band. There is supposedly less to no conflict between them. Also, the VR eye piece is adjustable while wearing.

Regarding image quality, I don't expect regular games to run on 4K natively next gen, so the question I believe is whether they can improve upon the FOV and per-eye-resolution of the VR headset instead, and have two sets of specs to cater for instead of one.

I believe the are absolutely forced to, due to the cost of entry or VR. So as to be able to evolve VR, without users having to buy a new headset every genereation.

Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    People wearing glasses can use the PSVR no problem.
    And we know that...how?

What about the peripheral vision aspects of it, as well?

Quote Originally Posted by K2D
    I believe the are absolutely forced to, due to the cost of entry or VR. So as to be able to evolve VR, without users having to buy a new headset every genereation.
    You're probably right about that. Unless that ends up limiting what they want to accomplish in the future. Then we may see some games released for the newer one, and not the other. Hopefully that won't happen, though, and there'll be some kind of compromise.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    We know because people have demoed and reviewed the headset.

The truth is out there Neo,
    and it's looking for you,
    and it will find you if you want it to.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
    And we know that...how?

What about the peripheral vision aspects of it, as well?

You're probably right about that. Unless that ends up limiting what they want to accomplish in the future. Then we may see some games released for the newer one, and not the other. Hopefully that won't happen, though, and there'll be some kind of compromise.
    Shu himself wears glasses and confirmed he had zero problems using glasses with them.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Cool shovelware ahoy!!!

14. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Cool shovelware ahoy!!!

as long as its sexy it doesnt matter.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    as long as its sexy it doesnt matter.
    You hoping one of those titles is being
    developed by Playboy?

Dedicated Member
    What about the comfort factor of having it strapped to your head for hours? the opinions of people saying it feels ok only use it for like fifteen minutes at a game expo.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    You hoping one of those titles is being
    developed by Playboy?

Isn't it the main reason you all buying it?
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Apprentice
    Cool. People can be one step closer to being cyborgs.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the fuck these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a fuck about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a Fuck About Us"

Dedicated Member
    i don't think sony can afford to price the psvr at launch much lower than OR, the most they could do is 500 usd. both will have to bring down manufacturing costs as soon as they can if they want to see the average consumer market adopt them.

Elite Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    What about the comfort factor of having it strapped to your head for hours? the opinions of people saying it feels ok only use it for like fifteen minutes at a game expo.
    This is something I too want to know. I really want to get a VR headset but I need to be able to use one for a few hours before I spend a lot of money on it Some games give me motion sickness to the extent I have to lie down for a good 45 minutes to stop feeling like I'm going to throw up.

Also will they strain your eyes after having one stuck on your face for several hours? It's annoying these are the kind of things you can't find out until you buy one yourself. Takes a bit of a gamble on the buyers behalf.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SA80A2
    The price point for the PSVR will be a deciding factor for many people whether to be early adopters or indeed pick it up at all, some may decide to wait for the VR price to come down which it invariably will unless it bombs.

The big problem for many is taking a financial risk on something that may lose support from developers in a relatively short space of time; 2 such examples being Vita and Move. I think this is why Sony are annouincing the large amount of games in the works, to allay fears of the peripheral not being supported. 100+ games is a decent figure to get started with, i really hope SOny support and run with this one properly.........

.....as I intend to be one of the early adopters
    He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
    More reliable than a garden strimmer
    He's never been mistaken for Yul Brynner
    He's not bald, and his head doesn't glimmer

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Think I shall see what games they have coming for it before I jump in and buy it, but I think it will be a great addition to racing games especially!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SA80A2
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Think I shall see what games they have coming for it before I jump in and buy it, but I think it will be a great addition to racing games especially!
    looking at PSU's own Driveclub VR Impressions article it truly does sound like a real game changer. I'm sure I heard somewhere Project Cars and GT Sport are confirmed for the VR treatment also. For me driving games will make the price of admission worthwhile (unless its Rift-stylee daft price - but then I probably would anyway!)
    He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
    More reliable than a garden strimmer
    He's never been mistaken for Yul Brynner
    He's not bald, and his head doesn't glimmer

Elite Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    I had the Sony hmz-t3 for a while and that was fine with glasses, Sony seem pretty decent with the design of their head mount displays to accommodate for glasses. I ended up selling this because when you got hot the thing would start slipping down your nose and be a pain in the ass even after tightening the straps. Hopefully PS VR improves on this.

I'd buy a VR headset for Driveclub, somekind of WWII or modern war FPS and a horror title and probably won't buy one until I see quality over quantity. It's OK saying there are 'X' amount of games in development for it, the same bull$#@! was said for the Vita and the majority of them were indies that most people got fed up with, I don't want another indie swamp fest for VR. I want some big $#@!ing breath taking titles that make you go wow!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I $#@!ING LOVED The Binding of Isaac, so if they made the VR equallent of Ocarina of Time (would probably resemble Majoras Mask more), that would seal the deal with me on PSVR alone. Yeah, if every INDIE title were as meaty.

(PS4 has basically been a IsaacStation up until now, with 200 hours clocked)
    Last edited by K2D; 01-08-2016 at 17:13.

Ultimate Veteran
    I wonder what the tagline for the headset will be when they advertise it? I mean, whether most people acknowledge it or not, virtual reality is the next logical leap in video games when it comes to providing a more immersive gaming experience. I would imagine that Sony would be very careful not to mess up PlayStation VR like what happened to Nintendo with the Virtual Boy.
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Drake (Uncharted 4: A Thief's End)
    Would you look at that? A secret cave behind the waterfall! Gentlemen, we're on a pirate adventure.

Thread Information