Ultimate Veteran

Have you ever played a video game level like it was a demo presentation?

I know how nerdy this sounds but have you ever played a level in a video game like it was a demo presentation at E3 or some other video game expo?

I would always do this with Grand Theft Auto games, particularly because Rockstar North pay careful attention to the little details in their games and also because they never show up at video game expos like E3. That said, when I would play a game like Grand Theft Auto V on the PS3, I would replay a certain mission or walk around the streets of Los Santos, carefully moving the camera around to show off the environment. The University level in The Last of Us was another favorite though I'm sure people would argue that there are more exciting levels in the game to "demo play".
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
    I have never done such a thing. It does sound like you had quite a bit of fun doing it though, which is all that matters at the end of the day.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the fuck these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a fuck about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a Fuck About Us"

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    It's a weird mindset. Just Cause 2 maybe? The game has little in the way of story.

Off topic: I've done the opposite - play a demo as if it was the full game. Some of my best game experiences has been demoes.

UT99 maps Morpheus and Face, alongside MGS instantly comes to mind.

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Can't say I have but understand what you mean
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

Forum Elder
    Whenever I play an new game I always mess around for the 1st few hours and see what can do what, real stupid stuff, hitting things you're not supposed to, seeing the way the game is gonna react. Not sure if that's exactly what you mean but sounds similar.

Master Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Maybe if I'm showing a game to a friend but in normal circumstances, no.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I guess The Order maybe? And that is because it was short and lacked in action. I guess you could say Until Dawn, BEYOND, and Heavy Rain could feel like tech demos or something.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Would a better analogy be playing a game like a QA test? I feel I would play a demo the same way I would play a game.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Pul3y
    Mainly with war games I remember playing MW2 as if I was a developer of the game
    Keep it simple!

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    Would a better analogy be playing a game like a QA test? I feel I would play a demo the same way I would play a game.
    No, because quality assurance would imply repetition. What I mean is that you'll go through, say, a segment of one level in a game deliberately playing a certain way and you have a pretty good idea of how things will react to your actions.

Let's use an open world game like Grand Theft Auto V as an example. You begin by standing outside the Los Santos Oriental Theater and slowly move the camera around to take in the view of the people and cars around you. Before doing this though, you've parked your car nearby and set a waypoint on your map (or you didn't set a waypoint because you specifically know what route you'll be taking to your destination). Anyways, you walk (not run) to your car, get inside, and drive to wherever it is you've decided to go -- it's a place you know well enough that you can anticipate what will happen and what exits you can take so that, like actual demo presentations, things run smoothly while showing something interesting.
    Last edited by Vyse; 01-11-2016 at 19:32.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Pul3y
    Last Kill Cam people always try to look cool
    Keep it simple!

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Definitely with GTA V, especially on PS4 with the new first person view mode. It's so immersive when you're on a motorcycle or a jet. This game NEEDS PSVR support badly.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    Definitely with GTA V, especially on PS4 with the new first person view mode. It's so immersive when you're on a motorcycle or a jet. This game NEEDS PSVR support badly.
    That reminds me of when I would play GTA V and spend an entire in-game day walking around Los Santos. I would totally do the same thing in first-person mode and walk down a specific route like I were doing a demo presentation if I ever decide to pick up the game for the PS4.

I already know Rockstar's next game built specifically for PS4 and Xbox One will look amazing.
    Last edited by Vyse; 01-21-2016 at 20:06.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Hell, if someone would be able to get their game to work with VR, it's Rockstar. But rushing through Los Santos in thirty frames per second would be like being on drugs or something. Even when using reprojection (60/90/120hz refresh rate for head movement). They'll either have to lower the resolution, or cut back on the IQ in some way.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I don't know if i would say i play it like a demo, per se, but i do enjoy having those few seconds of down time (in game) where nothing is happening and you just take in the skybox, or vista sprawled out in front of you.

Take the Witcher 3. i only just got around to playing it and fook me, i'll be running through a forest, sun beams breaking through the trees, and then you'll come upon an opening that overlooks fields with people working them and a castle off in the distance.... so stunning, i stop and pan the camera around to take it all in. I find it amazing from a visual perspective, and a technical perspective that we can create things like this from essentially turning off and on a light switch xD
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    I don't know if i would say i play it like a demo, per se, but i do enjoy having those few seconds of down time (in game) where nothing is happening and you just take in the skybox, or vista sprawled out in front of you.

Take the Witcher 3. i only just got around to playing it and fook me, i'll be running through a forest, sun beams breaking through the trees, and then you'll come upon an opening that overlooks fields with people working them and a castle off in the distance.... so stunning, i stop and pan the camera around to take it all in.
    I do that sort of thing too in pretty games.
    Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    no. no I haven't

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Thread Information