Ultimate Veteran

DUST 514 servers will shut in May, PlayStation Store content removed

The servers for CCP Games’ massively multiplayer online shooter DUST 514 will be shut down in May.

Senior Community Developer CCP Frame confirmed the news via a forum post today when he wrote:

“We are very proud of what we’ve learned and accomplished with DUST 514 on PlayStation 3 over the past three years and it is an honor to be a part of such a dedicated community. We consider DUST 514 one of the best free-to-play offerings on the platform, but the years have caught up with us.”

He also announced that players can no longer purchase items in-game, and that all DUST 514 packs have now been removed from the PlayStation Store.

“It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that DUST 514 will be shutting down on May 30th, 2016. We therefore will not be releasing the 1.3 update as we had planned. Players will continue to be able to play for free on our servers until then, but all further PSN packs and purchases have been removed and disabled from the in-game marketplace and the PlayStation Store. Players with existing Aurum will be able to continue to purchase items from the in-game marketplace.”

DUST 514 launched on PS3 in May 2013 as a free-to-play title with optional micro-transactions. Though many shooter fans were overwhelmed by DUST’s steep learning curve, there’s no doubting the passion and dedication of the DUST community who will see this as a very sad day indeed.

CCP's focus now turns to a new first-person shooter for PC which will be an evolution of Project Legion, which was announced at EveFanFest in 2014.

"Since this new game will be different from DUST 514 (although keeping many of its great parts), we will provide tiered recognition rewards to our loyal DUST customers, details to be announced," writes CCP Frame.

Did you play DUST 514? How do you feel about the server closure?
    Source

Time to dust off that PS3 console and controller, Ghost!
    Last edited by Vyse; 2 Days Ago at 19:19.
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

PSN ID
    ask through private message
    Well that stinks! I paid money and joined Dust 514 during the early beta phases. It was interesting to log in every few weeks and months to see the progress they made over time.

It wasn't a bad game but it wasn't OMG phenomenal either. It had a certain Halo/Destiny feel to it which I enjoyed. However, the maps felt somewhat barren to me and not very detailed. The pre-game area where you can walk around your room was very well done and in the vein of the Mass Effect series.

The leveling up system was actually pretty intricate and thought out. However, it was frustrating at times for how long it would take to level up an attribute, suit, vehicle or weapon specialty.

Overall I'd give Dust 514 something around a 6.5-7/10 rating. It's a shame they're ending support for it and basically throwing it in the trash can. It was fun while it lasted and I'm glad I was on board early!

El Presidente
    I had not idea this game was still going. I thought it had died a long time ago!

Sent from 2000ft under the crust

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    keefy
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Weird . For some reason I was just thinking about this game even though I have never played it and my PS3 broke about 4 years ago.

Is Dust persistent? Do things level up while you are off line like in Eve?

Forum Overseer

you also mentioned ghost's name here. yeah i'm 5 hours late, didn't think anyone else would've seen the news.
    1/13/16

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I remember this game being pretty ambitious when it was coming out, or at least had major plans to do some cool coordination between games. I think I remember it being packaged into a new game or something else being up. Just seems like a cool idea that didn't work out as intended. I remember playing the beta briefly, just wasn't my type of game.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Dust was one of the first titles to implement cross game play, with Pilots playing EVE on their PC's being able to send down barrages onto the battlefield. Dust was also the first Sony title to include in-game purchases (creating the foundation for the infrastructure they use today)

Truth be told, the fact this ran on the Unreal engine 3 always put a cloud over the games possibilities. UE3 never ran well on PS3 hardware, and the scale of their battles was equal to that of the battlefield series.

Wrong Engine, Wrong time. This could have been a real f2p classic (along the lines of planetside).

Had a great time playing it though. Was quite a fun game to explore the intricacies of each race

Shame they went with Unreal 3, would have liked to charge through the halls of an Eve Super Titan that was coming under fire. Hopefully they take what they learned with Dust and make the proper corrections with legion (and hopefully they aren't using UE3).
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Dust was one of the first titles to implement cross game play, with Pilots playing EVE on their PC's being able to send down barrages onto the battlefield.
    That was something I've always found intriguing -- where you have more than one game actively sharing the same universe. Although I can't comment first-hand on gameplay as I've never played EVE Online or DUST 514.

Shame they went with Unreal 3, would have liked to charge through the halls of an Eve Super Titan that was coming under fire. Hopefully they take what they learned with Dust and make the proper corrections with legion (and hopefully they aren't using UE3).
    What do you think of Unreal Engine 4? Do the multiplayer online games that utilize it right now look and perform as well as the single-player games?
    Last edited by Vyse; 2 Days Ago at 16:50.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
    What do you think of Unreal Engine 4? Do the multiplayer online games that utilize it right now look and perform as well as the single-player games?
    As i understand, Epic, with UE4, went back and redid everything related to its animation pipeline. So already, UE4 is 10x better than UE3.

But, my stance from last gen is still the same this gen; It's a bit lazy for game devs to just pick up UE4 and not do any backend work to make their engine do what they want from it. You can see this with a lot of smaller studio's who put out games on the UE4. The renderer is basically untouched, so all games look exactly the same - Ark, Squad, Battalion 1944 etc. etc. With Ark specifically struggling the most.

UE3 was designed around the 360, that single pool of RAM is what made it shine on the console, so UE4 on PS4 benefits from last-gens iteration immensely.

There's nothing inherently wrong with using a middleware engine, as long as the dev team build their use for the engine from the ground up. Read Bioshock's AI, Bourne Conspiracy's CQC, or Borderlands Cell-shading.

CCP seemed to struggle getting the engine to do what they wanted. IIRC, the map variety was one of the limitations of the engine, and the 'map' was only the first of their building blocks, where they planned to expand on that and move into connecting to actual EVE ships. As i understand, they also had lots and lots of backend issues getting EVE and Dust to talk to one another. These sorts of things could be worked around if you start from the ground up, and not have to re-mould a square peg to fit in a round hole (so to speak).
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    I'm happy that I got to see DUST 514 evolve over time. The game was pretty $#@!ing awesome in many respects. I can tell you now that you'll probably never play an FPS game that had the level of customisation and progression that D514 had. That's what hooked me. Nor will you ever play a game that adds the level or urgency that it did, due to the fact that every thing you took into battle was a consumable item that you lost upon death. It was a pioneering game in an age where everyone was $#@!ing and moaning about the lack of innovation in games like CoD. The game failed more on account of poor management within the development team than anything else. At PSU, our clan was also a pioneering effort. I made efforts to accommodate the clan here at the forums, we had a private section for members, title bars and all sorts. The clan its self was quite successful, with about 200ish members when I left the game, at which point pretty much everyone was inactive. It was also a joy writing about the game and my work with CCP helped the site out big time back in 2012/13. I got two free trips over to Iceland and the whole D514 phase of my life was quite a pivotal moment in the big picture. I went cold turkey at EVEFest 2013 though when CCP decimated its community by announcing Legion (PC port) at the D514 keynote and then literally making no mention of the console version for the rest of the expo. It was sad because the previous FF I attended and I sat in on so many round tables and presentations.

I remember being super excited about the electronic warfare that was discussed. They talked about how you would be able to spec your character so that you could block enemy mini maps and send local squads into radio silence which you haven't nor won't see in any other FPS game I don't think. It was a game that was a head of its time but as Fiji said, not at the right time. I can appreciate its potential and how it fell short having that holistic view of the game from early beta until the death blow dealt in that infamous D514 keynote.

R.I.P old friend!

Edit: This is the banner I put at the end of all my articles. It ensured a steady stream of new recruits long after I stopped writing about the game. Hehe aww, good memories. The shadowy figure in the front is my EVE pilot, the dude in the back is a logistics class merc, which was my class of choice...rocking the Minmatar race suit.

Last edited by Ghost; 1 Day Ago at 01:01.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Did you shed a tear Ghost?

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    *walks knee-deep in a pool of water*

Maybe more than one.

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Nope. I'm loyal to dopamine, not the game . I moved on to FFXIV and never looked back. I had a fantastic and unique experience with D514 and I'm happy to have had it.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Nope. I'm loyal to dopamine, not the game . I moved on to FFXIV and never looked back. I had a fantastic and unique experience with D514 and I'm happy to have had it.
    You...$#@!...
    1/13/16

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Edit: This is the banner I put at the end of all my articles. It ensured a steady stream of new recruits long after I stopped writing about the game. Hehe aww, good memories. The shadowy figure in the front is my EVE pilot, the dude in the back is a logistics class merc, which was my class of choice...rocking the Minmatar race suit.

The site i use for my image uploads has some rudimentary traffic tracking. My dust stuff is at the top of most viewed images.

Size: 32KB Traffic: 6.47GB

Size: 110KB Traffic: 8.03GB

The image i made for Steven got a butt tonne of traffic

Size: 173KB Traffic: 20.77GB

Imho, Dust was quite successful for a f2p title on the PS3 (of all things). I can't recall any other f2p titles out for the ps3, and more importantly, CCP managed to work with the cert process Sony have for any developer making any change to the games executable (generally every single update). This(again) created a much better cert process for Sony going forward. Not least of which is the fact every time you submit your changes to cert you pay Sony money - Killer for a f2p title.

If you use Digital Extremes currently (Warframe) with their f2p title, their game updates will generally comes out first through Sony's cert than MS's cert.

CCP did some amazing stuff with Sony. Granted, most of it was backend related and the consumer will never be any the wiser, but Dust was an epic step forward coming into this generation.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

16. Likes Ghost likes this post

Thread Information