Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    PSN ID
    Yummy_Daddy

Any older gamers out there?

So... as I type this I'm thinking most eyes who read this are younger than some underwear I have but hey, it's worth a shot right?

I'm more mature, like over 40 (OMG!!) as the youngsters will say but that's fine, I'm not complaining...just saying. I bought a PS3 for our son years ago (cough) and I play it too but not enough to warrant being an elite gamer, nor do I want to be. I'm just here to see if there's any older folks out there who enjoy an occasional online game. I don't even have an online account but for $50 a year to play like Madden or other games you must. That's the way the gaming market is going. But I do like football and slower, more strategy based games...not just shoot and spray games.

I was thinking about getting PS4 then others say, "No, get Xbox, it's better!". Well, I guess it all depends on what you enjoy more. I've always liked PlayStation and had an Xbox once that always locked up. Turned me off on that product but it may have improved, not sure.

Is the PlayStation+ online account worth it for occasional play?

I am 34 and I have been gaming since the Atari days I suppose. First system I got as a child was a gameboy, however. My daughter is too young to play, so I cannot use her as an excuse just yet.

PlayStation Plus offers free games, so I'd say it's worth it. This month, for example, there is Helldivers, which is quite good from what I've heard. Occasionally playing online might not make it worth it in my opinion though. But it all depends on how much you want to play online with others.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ask through private message
    I'm 30. I was born the year that real home console gaming began, 1985...the year of Nintendo Entertainment System. I popped out about a month before the release of NES. Sure Atari was around but gaming didn't become more commonplace until NES existed. I've played or own all the major consoles ever since and that's why I'm here. My early gaming years consisted of mostly NES and Sega Genesis. Then once I got into SNES, N64, and PS, that's when my love for gaming was truly cemented for life.

In regards to paying for online services on PS4, it depends on you. If you're going to play more than a couple hours every week, then it's worth it. If you're just an occasional gamer who likes to stream movies, maybe it's not worth it. It all depends on the individual.
    Last edited by Chewbacca; 02-04-2016 at 12:55.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SA80A2
    Nothing wrong with being over 40 @Yummy_Daddy! Don't do a whole lot of online gaming myself apart from a bit of Driveclub. In my opinion PS plus isn't really worth it for PS4 right now as the instant game collection is pretty crap, but you need it for the occasional online so. ....
    He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
    More reliable than a garden strimmer
    He's never been mistaken for Yul Brynner
    He's not bald, and his head doesn't glimmer

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

Nothing wrong with being in your 40's. I'm 34 and already sporting a grey beard. I think your age is the sweet spot in life. Old enough to do whatever you want and not too old to do whatever you want.

To the question. I've had PS+ since the beginning with the PS3/Vita and it was/is an amazing value for money. Now with the PS4 they lowered the quality of games but threw online in the mix, but at least I still got the Vita. I've literally played just a few hours online since the release of the PS4, mostly Diablo3, but since it's $50 per year which is only $4 a month I'm keeping it. If I did play 1-2 hours online every month it'd be a no brainer to subscribe.

Give it a spin for a year and see if you feel you are getting your money's worth.
    Last edited by MjW; 02-04-2016 at 07:43.

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    43 year old here. We do exist

7. Likes Admartian , Christopher likes this post
    Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Yep. We are here! I guess those of us born in the 70s are the first generation of gamers. That is when arcades started blowing up with stuff besides pinball machines and then started making its way into homes with consoles like Atari 2600. And then commodore 64 and PC in the 80s. So folks like mynd and I were there for the birth of gaming as we know it today.

ugh....way to myself feel ancient. good job, self.

Last edited by Christopher; 02-04-2016 at 11:44.

9. Likes Admartian , Major likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    38 here. Been gaming since early 80's. Habit stuck hard

Is PS+ worth it? Others have already mentioned some free games that come with that subscription but the online play is the real bonus. It's a shame you have to pay /$xx a year to play online with freinds but that's what it is.

Enjoy slower + strategy games? Me too! There's a few decent ones now so a good time to come to console looking for that sort of stuff. More in the near future too.

Personally speaking the subscription is worth it if you want some online play.
    When everything changes, nothing changes.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    29 here But have been gaming since the late 80's.

Thankfully took part in every gen since (edit: Amiga) and commodore, bar the Gameboy.
    Last edited by K2D; 02-04-2016 at 17:12.

12. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I'm 40. I've been gaming since the C64 days. I think I actually put more time into gaming today than I did back in the C64 days.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I approve this "old guy" appreciation thread. I feel better already. lol

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

PSN ID
    Yummy_Daddy
    The old roaches are coming out of the woodwork! Nice to see! lol Thanks for the advice. I may try it for a year like someone mentioned and see for myself if it's worth it.

My wife bought me one of those throwback Atari consoles that had like 100 games. I hooked it up, tried one game and made her take it back. Biggest piece of junk I've seen in a long time. Or, we are just spoiled now.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    M4jorCyn1k
    Quote Originally Posted by Libra-75 View Post
    I'm 40. I've been gaming since the C64 days. I think I actually put more time into gaming today than I did back in the C64 days.
    Likewise. That's definitely true!
    When everything changes, nothing changes.

Elite Guru
    Items Manchester United
    still smashing it after all these years lol. Play more now than i did years ago

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Libra-75 View Post
    Pssh c64 sucked. amstrad cpc all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 here - been with it since PS2 days - sports gaming (can't get enough of The Golf Club), but was way into the God of War series. Bioshocks, Dead Space, and Uncharted. Something for everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Do Admin Thingies

31 here ... been playing since I could hold a controller.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Pul3y
    Im 28, 29 in early March.

My first gaming machine I owned was an Amiga 1200, moved to the Mega Drive (Genesis), PC, PS1, PS2 well you get the drift
    Keep it simple!

22. Likes Admartian likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    34 and started on a BBC B and on the Internet since 1986. I blame my dad for getting me hooked on gaming, and he hates games!

PSN ID
    Yummy_Daddy
    I remember about 20 years ago there was a game called Playmaker Football. You could design your own plays and basically build a game plan and then you would use that plan to play other teams.

Well, we had a league and I remember sending a floppy disk around the country to play other teams. You would load the floppy in the PC, start the game and load the playbook. I LOVED that because it was pure strategy and the anticipation about the news of the game results from the other players was so much fun. I won the league BTW. lol My team was called "Trouble". I'll never forget those days.

http://www.playmaker.com/

It's still there! Cool.
    Last edited by Yummy_Daddy; 02-06-2016 at 16:42.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GeorgeGianno
    I dont need to tell about my age, it shows on the left in my post

I think that if someone loves the video games truly will stay with them until become real old in age.

I prefer old times personaly, i mean harder games with riddles that making u think more and more. I like of course a lot of current generation games, but i ll not change the times that many people playing tournaments in same home and we had a lot of fun.

"Delve deep into the mind of an insane painter, and discover
    the secret of his madness as you walk through a constantly
    shifting filled with meticulously constructed rooms".

(Layers Of Fear,Blooper Team,2016)

"Ghostly machines beneath the sea, exploring humanity's depths"
    (SOMA,Frictional Games,2015)

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    No wonder this thread smells.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from VyseColeBattlefield 3
    I am 30 years old and I started playing games on NES and moved on by having SNES, SEGA GENESIS, DREAMCAST, PS1, GAMECUBE, N64, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PS VITA, and now PC. Dam man! I feel old and I remember playing on these systems its like yesterday! You brought some great memories .
    Last edited by Syphon_Filter; 02-07-2016 at 07:57.

CPU I7 3820 GPU Asus GTX 980 4GB Motherboard BioStar TpowerX79 HDD Seagate 3TB CPU Samsung SSD 850 EVO 512GB COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80 Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Power Supply Seasonic 760W Windows 7 64Bit Monitor BENQ XL2730Z 2560X1440 Samsung 3D LED TV 240HZ 55H7150 PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD PS VITA 32GB

I'm 47 and will be 48 in a little over a month. So I guess I'm a member of the old fart club.

PSN ID
    Yummy_Daddy
    This thread officially doesn't smell any longer. I lit a few Yankee Candles around my desk.

Thread Information