Ultimate Veteran

Red Dead Redemption development was a 'recurring nightmare', says Sam Houser

Development of the critically acclaimed Red Dead Redemption was a ‘recurring nightmare’ back in 2009, according to Rockstar’s Sam Houser.

The comments were outed in court documents pertaining to the ongoing lawsuit filed by Leslie Benzies against the Grand Theft Auto developer earlier this week. They reveal a series of emails sent by Houser requesting Benzies’ aid in completing the Wild West action-adventure title.

"The ups and downs are VERY extreme. We have to fix this. Quickly. Help! I'm freaking!" An email from Houser reads. "[RDR] is a (recurring) nightmare. But one I/we need to get out of. I have problems with the camera all over the place. So much so, that I can't be rational or specific about it. The darkness!!! PLEASE help me/us get RDR. I am a jabbering wreck right now. I need The Benz!'"

In fact, it appears that Benzies’ help resulted in the issues being sorted “within a few months," allowing Rockstar to start presenting the game to partners and format holders, such as Sony and Microsoft.

"As Sam Houser himself recognised, the Houser brothers were incapable of completing large and complex games without Mr Benzies' oversight, management, and skill in taking unwieldy designs and making an understandable, cohesive, and enjoyable game," the documents add.

As the spiritual successor to 2004’s Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemption was released to critical and commercial success on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in May 2010. The game eventually shipped 14 million copies worldwide and spawned the standalone expansion, Undead Nightmare, as well as a Game of the Year Edition.

Given the game’s success, chatter on a follow-up has been doing the rounds for a couple of years now, though Rockstar has yet to formally announce a sequel. That hasn’t stopped Red Dead Redemption 2 from popping up on an ex-developer's CV though, and comments from publisher Take-Two suggest an E3 2016 reveal is on the cards.
    Source

Leslie Benzies, producer of various Rockstar games since Grand Theft Auto III, claims to have been forced out of Rockstar Games to which he has taken them to court to try and collect unpaid royalties. In fact, it was announced that he left the company in January. It's unfortunate to read about their relationship having ended up like this and how Rockstar's biggest games in development might be affected.

Click here for further reading on the controversy.
    Last edited by Vyse; 04-15-2016 at 20:54.
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    make the game already suckers.
    #lovegaming

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Ultimate Veteran
    You're missing the point, Shingo.
    Last edited by Vyse; 04-14-2016 at 20:59.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    This is a document produced by Leslie Benzies to win himself a courtcase against R*. Do we take these as factual evidence? In which case, are they sincere?

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    This is a document produced by Leslie Benzies to win himself a courtcase against R*. Do we take these as factual evidence? In which case, are they sincere?
    Well, this is Rockstar's official response to Benzies' lawsuit:

Leslie Benzies was a valued employee of our company for many years. Sadly, the events that culminated in his resignation ultimately stem from his significant performance and conduct issues. Despite our repeated efforts to address and resolve these issues amicably both before and after his departure, Leslie has chosen to take this route in an attempt to set aside contract terms to which he previously agreed on multiple occasions.

His claims are entirely without merit and in many instances downright bizarre, and we are very confident this matter will be resolved in our favor. A core ethos since Rockstar's inception has been the concept of 'the team.' It is deeply disappointing and simply wrong for Leslie to attempt to take personal credit for what has always been the tremendous efforts of the entire Rockstar team, who remain hard at work delivering the most immersive and engaging entertainment experiences we can for our fans.
    You can read more about it here.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ask through private message
    For all the time they spent on Red Dead Redemption, they apparently assumed folks from the early 1900s didn't know how to swim....seriously though, all that development time, and my character dies from simply walking into the water anytime?! Give me a break! lol minor gripe but I'm pretty sure people could swim back then.

It reminds me how in GTA IV they took away the ability to skydive and base jump and steal trains...why would you take away major game-play aspects that made San Andreas so good?! Finally with GTA V they woke up and fixed most issues but you still can't steal a train like you could in SA! You can kill the train conductor but can't steal the train! lol
    Last edited by Chewbacca; 07-05-2016 at 12:29.

Thread Information