Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik

Nvidia unveils GTX 1080 and GTX 1070: a new level in GPU power

Nvidia has officially revealed the GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070, based on its new Pascal architecture, offering an astonishing leap in performance and power efficiency over its existing 900-series Maxwell cards. According to Nvidia, the GTX 1080 is faster than two GTX 980s in SLI, shipping to users on May 27th at $599. Meanwhile, the GTX 1070 offers Titan X level performance for just over one third of the price - $379 - and is set to launch on June 10th.

source
    OH MY GOD I WANT ONE ALREADY. Already contemplating selling my 980Ti and getting one of these bad boys. Going to be a good year to be a PC gamer

TapaTalking from my Mind.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I'm curious how this one manages under DX12.

Maxwell hasn't really seen a bump from dx12 - which is fine since dx12 is only in its infancy. But i expect Pascal to phase into running DX12 titles regularly. These chip designs go back years, don't know if Nvidia could have predicted the type of gains that were possible with DX12. AMD were actively working on Mantle and had that knowledge for GCN.

Still excited for the release.... was hoping they would run HBM2 though. HBM on the Fury has a 4000 bit bus!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Cant wait, perfect timing for my next build. It's been a long overdue, I'm still running on 500 series.

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    cool. Thinking of moving to nVidia from AMD. Right now running a R9 280X. Decent enough, but starting to show its age.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    OH MY GOD I WANT ONE ALREADY.
    For the first time ever I'm still super happy with my SLI GTX980's. I think I'll be able to wait it out for another generation or two before upgrading again.

Administrator
    I'm glad I waited to build my new rig.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    OH MY GOD I WANT ONE ALREADY. Already contemplating selling my 980Ti and getting one of these bad boys. Going to be a good year to be a PC gamer

TapaTalking from my Mind.
    Careful, there's a lot of obfuscation going on in their marketing speak and the benchmarks they presented. Pascal will be significantly faster (they say up to 2x) than Maxwell in VR. That's mostly to do with the rendering technique they outlined that eliminates a lot of rendered but currently un-seen pixels. So there's that to watch out for.

Second, there's some reason to believe that the relative benchmarks they showed for flat games (non-VR) were for a heavily OC'd 1080. The demo they showed during the presentation showed that the 1080 being used was clocked to ~2,100 MHz over its ~1,700 MHz base. When you correct for that, and consider that most 980ti and Titan X cards can approach an overclock proportional to that, it may well end up that the 1080 performs pretty much on par with the current ti/X cards in flat games.

Granted, that level of performance at those power consumption levels are excellent, unless you're invested in VR, it would make upgrading from a 980ti/Titan X much less compelling. In which case, it may be best to wait for a full chip release (1080ti/Titan).
    i7 3770K @ 4.4GHz | EVGA Titan X SC | 32GB DDR3

Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    Careful, there's a lot of obfuscation going on in their marketing speak and the benchmarks they presented. Pascal will be significantly faster (they say up to 2x) than Maxwell in VR. That's mostly to do with the rendering technique they outlined that eliminates a lot of rendered but currently un-seen pixels. So there's that to watch out for.

Second, there's some reason to believe that the relative benchmarks they showed for flat games (non-VR) were for a heavily OC'd 1080. The demo they showed during the presentation showed that the 1080 being used was clocked to ~2,100 MHz over its ~1,700 MHz base. When you correct for that, and consider that most 980ti and Titan X cards can approach an overclock proportional to that, it may well end up that the 1080 performs pretty much on par with the current ti/X cards in flat games.

Granted, that level of performance at those power consumption levels are excellent, unless you're invested in VR, it would make upgrading from a 980ti/Titan X much less compelling. In which case, it may be best to wait for a full chip release (1080ti/Titan).
    Most people are saying that the 2,100Mhz will possibly be the founder's edition, but at 67 degrees air cool with that clocks, that's pretty amazing. I don't you can get that temp with 900's unless watercooled.

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Wondering if we will see significant price drops on 980s now.

Forum Sage

So what's the memory bus width for these cards? 256bit? 384bit? 512bit? 768bit? The Fury cards are all sporting 4kbit memory bus width, albeit with slower clocked HBM ram. The R9 4xx cards will most likely be supporting HBM2. I think I'll wait until AMD releases before deciding which side to go with.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    So what's the memory bus width for these cards? 256bit? 384bit? 512bit? 768bit? The Fury cards are all sporting 4kbit memory bus width, albeit with slower clocked HBM ram. The R9 4xx cards will most likely be supporting HBM2. I think I'll wait until AMD releases before deciding which side to go with.
    256-bit. I'm reading that the NVIDIA GP100 will have a 4096-bit bus (eight 512-bit controllers): https://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallel...inside-pascal/

I'm still more curious about their Volta GPUs.

12. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    256-bit. I'm reading that the NVIDIA GP100 will have a 4096-bit bus (eight 512-bit controllers): https://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallel...inside-pascal/

I'm still more curious about their Volta GPUs.
    That's unfortunate imo. I see a lot of potential in the GTX 10xx lineup being wasted or flushed down the toilet by limiting the memory bus width. I had high hopes because I really wanted to see more performance capability come out of $600+ cards. The GP100 architecture though, is looking pretty promising.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rycexboi View Post
    Most people are saying that the 2,100Mhz will possibly be the founder's edition, but at 67 degrees air cool with that clocks, that's pretty amazing. I don't you can get that temp with 900's unless watercooled.
    2,100 MHz is just what one of the stage demo cards was OC'd to, so we don't know how indicative that is or whether we're seeing cherry picked results. Also, we've since learned that the Founders Edition is just nVidia's new term for "reference". In other words, there aren't two versions of the 1080 card. There's only one. The Founders Edition is just the one you buy directly from nVidia and includes nVidia's shroud. You get that for $699.

3rd party cards will start at $599, and will have different shrouds. Presumably, vendors selling 1080s with higher end shrouds/cooling will be similarly priced to the Founders Edition from nVidia, or more.

Also, the 2,100 MHz overclock sounds crazy, but you've got to keep two things in mind. First, that's an overclock consistent in proportion to what you can do on a 980ti with air cooling (lots of people do better than that with 980tis, proportionally). Second, there are some differences with the cores between Maxwell and Pascal such that you can't really compare MHz between the two (which is why talking in terms of proportion is more helpful here).

I'm eager to see detailed benchmarks, and I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think the 1080 is going to be the 980ti/Titan X dominating card a lot of people think it is, at least with respect to non-VR performance. If the soon to be released reviews do report 20-30% gains over 980ti/Titan X (comparing base clock to base clock and OC to OC), then I'll be impressed and might even be convinced to buy one. Less than that, and I'll probably just hold out another year for big-Pascal.
    i7 3770K @ 4.4GHz | EVGA Titan X SC | 32GB DDR3

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    2,100 MHz is just what one of the stage demo cards was OC'd to, so we don't know how indicative that is or whether we're seeing cherry picked results. Also, we've since learned that the Founders Edition is just nVidia's new term for "reference". In other words, there aren't two versions of the 1080 card. There's only one. The Founders Edition is just the one you buy directly from nVidia and includes nVidia's shroud. You get that for $699.

3rd party cards will start at $599, and will have different shrouds. Presumably, vendors selling 1080s with higher end shrouds/cooling will be similarly priced to the Founders Edition from nVidia, or more.

Also, the 2,100 MHz overclock sounds crazy, but you've got to keep two things in mind. First, that's an overclock consistent in proportion to what you can do on a 980ti with air cooling (lots of people do better than that with 980tis, proportionally). Second, there are some differences with the cores between Maxwell and Pascal such that you can't really compare MHz between the two (which is why talking in terms of proportion is more helpful here).

I'm eager to see detailed benchmarks, and I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think the 1080 is going to be the 980ti/Titan X dominating card a lot of people think it is, at least with respect to non-VR performance. If the soon to be released reviews do report 20-30% gains over 980ti/Titan X (comparing base clock to base clock and OC to OC), then I'll be impressed and might even be convinced to buy one. Less than that, and I'll probably just hold out another year for big-Pascal.
    We'll see. I'm eager to see real-world results as well.

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    So, wait a minute... the new cards are going to be better than the previous cards? Say it ain't so. smh

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    So, wait a minute... the new cards are going to be better than the previous cards? Say it ain't so. smh
    Crazy, eh?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Pul3y
    Sounds good but I am an ATI/AMD kind of guy
    Keep it simple!

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I might build a pc this summer... would be nice to start off with the top end.

20. Likes MacP likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    i have not built a pc in 11 years, i want this card why cant sony sue a beast of a card for there next ps

Forum Sage

A quick question. If Sony were to research and develop its own PC graphics card technology and come out with a beast card, would any of you buy it?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    A quick question. If Sony were to research and develop its own PC graphics card technology and come out with a beast card, would any of you buy it?
    Yes, In a similar way as i would like to see actual Intel GPU's.

AMD and Nvidia basically have a monopoly on the patents surrounding how a transistor can be used to make the circuits for GPU's. Intel basically had to think outside the box to create their iGPU's. The irony is, Intel's solution is more efficient than both the big GPU designers. So by extension, if Sony designed their own GPU, they'd need a similar approach which would make their product quite appealing.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Sage

PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Only if it were better than a Nvidia or AMD.
    So probably not, no

My wallet has no brand loyalty. Make a good product and I'll buy. No brands get a free pass.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I might build a pc this summer... would be nice to start off with the top end.
    I'm going to do the same. I found a really nice mini ATX case that can house a full size GPU. It'll be nice for mobility.

Sonata Dusk
    Brandon, can I add you on Steam? I assume you may have one already if you're planning on getting into (or back into?) PC gaming.

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I'm going to do the same. I found a really nice mini ATX case that can house a full size GPU. It'll be nice for mobility.
    I'll be super pleased to do some 4k Forza on 65" tv!!!

Thread Information