Forum Overseer
    how the f is that even possible...that thing was barely as powerful as the PS2.

Ultimate Veteran
    It doesn't look like it's running with 16 bit color, unless you're only viewing the animated GIFs though the exteriors do appear to pop out more than the interiors which is impressive.

Still, it's pretty much lost the illusion of a "living, breathing world" because the PSP isn't powerful enough to render the kind of intricate game logic and population density of a PS3/Xbox 360 open world game. So you would expect this kind of game to be developed on the PS Vita instead but we all know how much developers don't care about Sony's more recent handheld platform.
    Last edited by Vyse; 05-21-2016 at 17:50.
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

Forum Overseer
    the funny thing is that this version looks more interesting to me than the original...just because it looks old school. more simple and to the point.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    the funny thing is that this version looks more interesting to me than the original...just because it looks old school. more simple and to the point.
    Well, one of the reasons that I like the original Deus Ex more than Deus Ex: Human Revolution is due to the darker visual tone and dystopian setting combined with the Unreal Engine 1-rendered 3D graphics. Not to say that Deus Ex: Human Revolution doesn't also have a charming visual style but while it did still draw me into the game's world, it has a different appeal, visually.

I disagree about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion though. I do think some modern video games tend to use too many post-processing and lighting techniques in an attempt to look "next-gen" whereas games that utilize cleaner visual styles (e.g. Driveclub or Uncharted 4: A Thief's End) look far better as a result but... come on, Omar, we're talking a PSP game. It would have been more interesting if it had been developed for the PSP from the very beginning as an exclusive.

Forum Overseer
    well i thought Oblivion was kind of boring so i wouldn't mind trying this version out. if it came out on PSN maybe. have you played the original Thief games? Very simple but so addictive. i feel like a lot of games are missing the point nowadays. games don't have to be so complicated to be good.

Ultimate Veteran
    games don't have to be so complicated to be good.
    But you also shouldn't ignore some of the standards set for open world games. If you're going to port a game like The Elder Scrolls to a handheld, the hardware should be powerful enough to not break the illusion of a living, breathing world set by the original version.

Forum Overseer
    of course the game wouldn't be even close to the original. that's part of the point i'm trying to make. it doesn't need to be. it can just be a bite-sized version of a game that resembles Oblivion, that's really all they can do on a handheld anyway. but part of the charm of these games is that they're bite-sized and cute. that's why 3DS is so popular, they're filled with random japanese games that we've never heard of but they're short and sweet.

Ultimate Veteran
    No offense, Omar, but if you thought the original version was boring, why would you think this one is better, compared to those who did enjoy the original but find this version lacking in some way?

Also, you bring up the 3DS and use terms like bite-sized and cute that aren't at all words I would use to describe an open world RPG series like The Elder Scrolls.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Ya this footage was leaked many years ago. Could have been done without being an open world title.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
    No offense, Omar, but if you thought the original version was boring, why would you think this one is better, compared to those who did enjoy the original but find this version lacking in some way?

Also, you bring up the 3DS and use terms like bite-sized and cute that aren't at all words I would use to describe an open world RPG series like The Elder Scrolls.
    you're comparing it to oblivion, i'm not. it looks interesting from the gifs. that's it.

Ultimate Veteran
    you're comparing it to oblivion, i'm not. it looks interesting from the gifs. that's it.
    No, you said:

So, you came to that conclusion from viewing the animated GIFs (ignoring the videos linked directly after)? I thought at first that you were just referring to the downgraded visuals. Could you explain to me the difference in those animated GIFs, the stuff that appears "more simple and to the point", that you feel makes this cancelled version more interesting than the original version?
    Last edited by Vyse; 05-23-2016 at 19:52.

Forum Overseer
    right after you'll notice that i say, just because it looks old school. so it's a comparison based on face value or not a true comparison.

Thread Information