Superior Member
    PSN ID
    ask through private message

Home Relaxing - What do you have? Hot tub, sauna, pool, steam room, etc.

So I thought I'd just make a fun thread about home relaxation. Who here has something like a pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room, etc? How do you unwind and relax when not playing games or doing work? Feel free to share stories and pictures!
    Last edited by Chewbacca; 08-03-2016 at 00:51.

Database Manager
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    We have a pool outside for when the weather's nice, with sun heater, except ofcourse.. #Belgium. So the weather's pretty $#@! most of the time and it's not really fun to sit in when it's raining and all.

When I'm not gaming, if I want to unwind I just have a nice shower or sometimes a nice warm bath with a movie on. Does the trick for me at this point

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Motorbike hooliganism with the supermoto always helps me unwind!

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

4. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    ask through private message
    Growing up, I usually just took a shower or hot bath to relax. We had a hot tub when I was a teenager and my fiance's family also has a hot tub. I love hot tubs but when it came to my own home, I factored in maintenance and health benefits.

Instead of going to a gym, I workout in my basement with all kinds of equipment including a Bowflex M5 for cardio, weight bench, free weights/dumbbells, jump rope, and sound system to keep me pumped up. I did a lot of research about the health benefits of hot tubs, saunas, and steam rooms. In the end, I found that saunas required the least maintenance, boost your immune system, help with sore muscles and faster recovery times post-workout, are great for your skin & hair, and you burn up to 300 calories in 1 session.

Electric wise, a hot tub has to pretty much stay on to keep a high temperature. With a sauna, you only turn it on when you're ready to use. It takes about 30-40 minutes to preheat to the desired temperature (which you can set). Ideal temperature is around 150F - 185F and I've found that about 20 minutes in at 170F is my sweet spot. The sauna automatically turns off after 1 hour and uses the equivalent to a clothes dryer in electric usage. The other nice thing is that it has a timer up to 8 hours. So you can have the sauna automatically start preheating about 30 minutes before you wake up and have it ready first thing in the morning.

So last week I ordered my first ever sauna! I assembled it myself over the weekend and had a master electrician do the hard wiring a couple days ago. This is what my end result looks like:

20160801_144734.jpg

I've used it every day for about a week so far and I couldn't be happier with my decision! It's really nice to just unwind and forget your stresses of the day. It also makes for great socialization time with whoever happens to be joining you. I always take a shower post-sauna and feel the effects such as improved mood, muscle stiffness gone, and softer skin. It really makes an overall positive impact on your body and mind when used regularly.

Saunas are much more commonplace in Europe than the USA where you might find them in high end hotels, gyms, or resorts.

The only maintenance required is the occasional glass cleaning, wiping the benches down with baking soda and vinegar, and replacing the heater stones once every year or two. The stones allow you have to have either a dry or wet sauna. Doing nothing will keep it dry and splashing water (which you can add scented oils to) over the hot stones periodically creates a burst of steam/humidity for a more wet sauna.

It should also be noted that there's multiple types of saunas: the traditional which utilizes either wood burning or a heater and stones. Then in more recent years, there's infrared saunas which plenty of people debate on weather they're better or worse than traditional. Infrared emit EMF (eletro-magnetic-field) directly on the user instead of heating a whole room. They're also set to lower temperatures around 120 - 150F compared to tradtional which are around 150 - 200F. Some argue that you're giving yourself minor doses of radiation with infrared saunas. One positive though is that infrared are known for penetrating deeper under the skin which can be good for aching muscles. Long term effects aren't known yet compared to traditional saunas which have been around since between 12th - 16th century. In any case, do your research before buying one.

A sauna could help you live longer according to a Harvard study...
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/s...s-201502257755
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Chewbacca; 08-08-2016 at 18:28.

6. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Sauna is pretty common here in the northern parts. We have a wood burned sauna and a hot tub.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Po Folks here. Lol i have a pool but it's not up and running. An above ground oval. Nice pool but expensive to keep up with and it needs a new pump motor.

Ultimate Veteran
    Hot bath with bubbles is the nearest thing I have, most of my chill time is a few rounds of Halo 5 these days.
    Once upon a time, I couldn't unwind form work until Id played a few rounds of Unreal Tournament. I worked in retail environment and its was yak yak yak all day.
    I needed 1/2 hour of no talking and not thinking, before I could function at home.

We used to have a spa in our old home.

Now the kids are older I would kill for one of these...that and a home bar...

Last edited by mynd; 08-04-2016 at 03:32.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Motorbike hooliganism with the supermoto always helps me unwind!
    I'm doing the theory for my bike licence.

If all goes well, i will be hooliganisming on my bike in the not too distant future also! Kinda already stressing about my first bike. Want to go sports, but our roads here are kinda sketchy. So don't know if i should just play it safe, and be safe. But i really want that Sub D 12 o'clock wheelie
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

11. Likes MjW likes this post
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    I've got a pair of IKEA armchairs, with a little rocking to them, and footrests to accompany them.

A home cinema-hack. 120 inches.

Spa-like furniture in the shower area.

Chewbacca, you're really selling me on sauna's there. Unfortunately the missus isn't into sweating it out, so that'll be a hard sell. I'd have an easier time getting a dedicated gaming/movie-room.

13. Likes Chewbacca likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    I'm doing the theory for my bike licence.

If all goes well, i will be hooliganisming on my bike in the not too distant future also! Kinda already stressing about my first bike. Want to go sports, but our roads here are kinda sketchy. So don't know if i should just play it safe, and be safe. But i really want that Sub D 12 o'clock wheelie
    Good luck Fiji! Hope you get the licence quickly. I changed to a supermoto after they filled the city with speed bumps. It's fun jumping over them now.
    I'm learning to wheelie atm. Still have a long way to go to that 12 o'clock. Get good protection and ride safe! Yeah. "Safe". lol

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Thread Information