Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Wuuzi

Anyone successfully hooked up their PS3 to Monitor? (DVI / VGA)

I have a decent HP monitor that's a few years old. It has a VGA and DVI output. I know that DVI is higher quality than VGA, so I got me a DVI cable and an adapter thats HDMI -> DVI. I was going to plug my DVI cable into the adapter DVI port, and then, adapter HDMI port into the back of the Playstation.

Now I also have a friend who has a simple DVI male to HDMI male cable.

Question here, will they both produce the same quality? Since the adapter setup actually has a box, and is bigger than a simple cable, I did not know if it would matter which one I use.

I want to have the best picture quality possible, so which one would any of you recommend me using? Also, have any of you tried this out, and which setup did you use?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    keefy
    Just try it yourself and see.
    I would use the HDMI to DVI cable.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Wuuzi
    Went with the cable, didnt notice any difference. Using a hp w1858 monitor, it only supports a res lower than the native ps3 hdmi 1920 x 1080 and didn't work at first. Gave me an input error, so I turned off the ps3, then at restart I held down the power button until I heard a second beep. This resets and adjusts the video settings accordingly to what the monitor will accept. Just for anyone who had/has this problem.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula View Post
    Went with the cable, didnt notice any difference. Using a hp w1858 monitor, it only supports a res lower than the native ps3 hdmi 1920 x 1080 and didn't work at first. Gave me an input error, so I turned off the ps3, then at restart I held down the power button until I heard a second beep. This resets and adjusts the video settings accordingly to what the monitor will accept. Just for anyone who had/has this problem.
    Yep, this.
    Its how I got 1080P back in 2008 when a 1080P TV was expensive for a 16 year old, I had my PS3 attached to my 22" moniter until 2014 when I bought a PS4 and 1080P TV.

PS3 80GB PAL - GTA4 - RESISTANCE:FOM - Oblivion - GT5 Prologue - Call Of Duty:MW2 - Fallout 3
    Perth, Australia

Senior Editor
    PSN ID
    NameTaken33
    IIRC...The monitor must be HDCP compatible. Then you can use a standard HDMI > DVI cable and there should be little to no loss in video quality as DVI and HDMI are both digital so just 0's and 1's.

Thread Information