Latest PSU headlines:

Godfather

Xbox only using DVD9 discs ?

I am a bit unsure of the discs being used on this next-gen console Xbox 360. isn't DVD9's a bit old and only have a capacity of 5gb. I think the PS3 have won the war on incorporation BluRay discs. Sorry Xbox 360. We will just have to see the finished products first.

Elite Guru
    They are using standard DVD disks that can hold 9GB. The Blue-Ray disks can hold like 55 GB. But No gaming company is going to make a game that takes up 55 GB. Like the biggest console game I can think of this generation was only 4 GB and that was GT4. So yeah 9GB will, in some giant games, make either the graphics, physics, or AI slightly worse on the xbox360 version.

Forum Sage
    Then they will use 2 DVDs, and case solved. It won't have anything to do with In-Game graphics or AI but mainly with CGI cutscenes.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Elite Sage
    Wouldn't two DVD's cost more than one Blu-ray? Especially if it's getting shipped in the millions!!
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Dedicated Member
    Like the biggest console game I can think of this generation was only 4 GB and that was GT4
    I heard God of War took up around 8 gigs.

Then they will use 2 DVDs, and case solved. It won't have anything to do with In-Game graphics or AI but mainly with CGI cutscenes.
    Companies that are thinking about porting a PS3 game over to the 360 will hesitate. If the game is larger then 9 gigs then they'll probably stick with the PS3 since one Blu-ray disc is cheaper then 2 DVD-9 discs.

Elite Sage
    God of War couldn't have been 8 Gigs cos the disc currently only holds 4.7Gb max.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Dedicated Member
    God of War couldn't have been 8 Gigs cos the disc currently only holds 4.7Gb max.
    Well thats what i read. Your probably right thou. Many people here are saying that 9gigs will be more then enough. Thats not what EGM says. Yea in Morrowind:Oblivion the map or whatever is only 2 gigs, But according to EGM all the voice acting took up a little more then half a DVD-9 disc. You still sure 9 gigs is enough?

Dedicated Member
    i'm not convinced at all. i'm really glad that ps3 is using blu-ray. i hope that works out as a standard in the entertainment industry too.

Dedicated Member
    Ofcourse it could, maybe they used a dual layared disc

Like the biggest console game I can think of this generation was only 4 GB and that was GT4
    MGS3 filled up a dual layared DVD disc which is like 9GB and it still wasn't enough for Kojima he had to cut alot of stuff cuz it wouldn't fit.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    Well thats what i read. Your probably right thou. Many people here are saying that 9gigs will be more then enough. Thats not what EGM says. Yea in Morrowind:Oblivion the map or whatever is only 2 gigs, But according to EGM all the voice acting took up a little more then half a DVD-9 disc. You still sure 9 gigs is enough?
    Compression compression and more compression. I have a feeling MS has developed a break through in compression and thats why they feel that they don't need a next gen disk format.

Dedicated Member
    I think that not including a next gen disc format i a huge mistake by M$.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MGSfan
    It was a trade off...

On one hand, Sony included Blu-Ray, but it is going to hit them for about $100 per system (and this will eventually cost the consumers that same money) whereas the DVD drive only costs about $15.

In addition, they may only be able to put in a 1x or 2x Blu-Ray drive. Either of those would have lower read speads than a 12x DVD Drive.

If any PS3 games are shipped on DVD's, then they will have significantly slower read speeds on the Blu-Ray drives.

MS chose to stick with DVD. In place they added better compression and a HDD that can be used for caching.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This is a personal communication and in no way represents the official or unofficial views or opinions of my employer.

Anthony Hanses - Owner - Colloquy LLC

Dedicated Member

look around i posted specs for usage of a dvd d/l on another topic but turns outits more than enough even for FMV's aslong as they use HD compression provided in xna kit. team ninja's complaints are just BS likely because they maynot be using any xna tools.maybe dont beleave what im saying hmmm ok look at elderscroles 4 go look how big that map is how nice everything looks upclose. now elderscroles 4 includes FMV's also fact is team ninja maybe kinda 2nd party but there haters i mean they sue xbox fans for downloading saves.i would not beleave anything they spew out. how about this who here has ever seen a pc game that uses dvd?
    yea there still using cd because throughput and seek time lesss read errors is what games need not read only space.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthurivvi
    how about this who here has ever seen a pc game that uses dvd?
    Ever seen? ... Ever? Isn't that too bold to state that?

No offense, I don't know which part of Mogambo-deshu you're living in but I've been seeing PC dvd games for about over a year now. Errm wait, Maybe less than a year but almost every PC game I see nowadays is available on DVD. Just correct your statement a bit.

Cliff Bleszinski(Gears of War) on David Jaffe's God of War: I warn you, though, if you play God of War, other games aren't as good anymore. It's like eating a really good steak, and then going back to Sizzler.

Godfather
    Medal Of Honour: Pacific Assault is on DVD format for the PC.

Dedicated Member
    what im saying hmmm ok look at elderscroles 4 go look how big that map is how nice everything looks upclose. now elderscroles 4 includes FMV's
    Um you do know that all the voice acting going into the game took up about half the disc space right? If you don't believe me go read EGM.

how about this who here has ever seen a pc game that uses dvd?
    let me look to the left of me for a sec... oh wait here is a game.. wait...2...wait count them 3 laying on my computer desk
    BF2 dvd
    Everquest2 dvd
    Half Life2 dvd
    and im sure if i looked through the draws in my desk i could find a few more...
    so please think before you post

teresald
    i have something to add. Doesnt a game thats on a dvd usually say that on the back of the box? because most ps2 games did, ive seen some that didnt also so that would mean they were on regular cd format, but anyway ive seen a couple of xbox games that said dvd on the back of the box but most of them dont. does this imply that most xbox games werent using the dvd9 format because why would games like genma onimusha have the dvd label on the back of the box but all of my other xbox games dont were they on regular cd format. And if they were on cd format then that would mean that maybe we dont need blu-ray at this moment

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by siren
    It was a trade off...

On one hand, Sony included Blu-Ray, but it is going to hit them for about $100 per system (and this will eventually cost the consumers that same money) whereas the DVD drive only costs about $15.

In addition, they may only be able to put in a 1x or 2x Blu-Ray drive. Either of those would have lower read speads than a 12x DVD Drive.

If any PS3 games are shipped on DVD's, then they will have significantly slower read speeds on the Blu-Ray drives.

MS chose to stick with DVD. In place they added better compression and a HDD that can be used for caching.

100 per system? where is that coming from please provide a link from a sony employee that says this

Apprentice

The drive on PS3 will have 2 or 3 beams, for blu-ray dvd and cd, (i've read it in some interview of Ken Kutaragi) just like all dvd drives have different beams for DVD and CD, just because your beam for blu-ray can't read data above some angular velocity , that doesn't mean that another beam in the same drive (a red beam for DVD for example) can't read data at a higher angular velocity.
    So you can't exclude the possibility that the drive in ps3 might have better read speeds for DVD in comparisson to blu-ray.

Master Poster
    Yeh i remember reading the same article somewhere, Sony were one of a handful of companies who actually use the 3-laser drives, and it could well be possible that it could indeed read DVDs/CDs even faster than in normal DVD/CD drives.

Depends if they done any research in that area to see if they could increase the read speeds on them without it messing up, in theory they probably could without problem...so who knows lol
    I have no signature.
    No, really, i don't. You're just imagining this.

Elite Sage
    It was a trade off...

um... i would just like to say Sony are going to put a 2X blu-ray drive minimum at the moment, and it's read speed is only slightly slower than a 12X DVD read speed (about 5Mbps slower).
    If Sony were going to incorparate a 4X Blu-ray drive it'd be twice as fast as a 12X blu-ray drive.

I also have to say that Sony can easily lower the price of the Blu-ray production wise because of mass production (i think ) and in the long term could make PS3 cheaper than Xbox 360.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroyd
    It was a trade off...

um... i would just like to say Sony are going to put a 2X blu-ray drive minimum at the moment, and it's read speed is only slightly slower than a 12X DVD read speed (about 5Mbps slower).
    If Sony were going to incorparate a 4X Blu-ray drive it'd be twice as fast as a 12X blu-ray drive.

I also have to say that Sony can easily lower the price of the Blu-ray production wise because of mass production (i think ) and in the long term could make PS3 cheaper than Xbox 360.
    i dont care how fast it is no new drive ever comes off without a hitch no telling how many problems may come up or how well it will read or even last. hell dvd drives are still being tweaked just seams to be the only arguement for this gen noones even realy comparing games fun graphics ect its all bs about something having a higher number theoreticly or addisions like blue ray that are not even needed for games.

look at whats in ps3 now not everything is theirs either like that vid card now if you ask me sony yea they make bd player but its not free i think they will be taking a huge hit but expect it to only be a temperary problem. assuming the media format becomes standard and they gain profit from the media itself. what if it dosen't work out? then i think bd player will become a huge burden for them to be manufacturing with no turnaround on it. they are depending on the fact people will use these as their main players. if people were smart they would use there drives for games and the seldom dvd. else they just shorten the life of the drive.
    anyways like i have said in the past
    elderscroles 4 is bigger than all these rpgs put together and uses FMV's and it will be on 1 dvd d/l i bet just like part 3 fit in about 2 gb so game size is not shortend by media size.
    there is no way the price of 1 blue ray disk will be cheaper and easyer for companys to put out than 2 dvd's even in the next few years.

Master Guru
    i dont care how fast it is no new drive ever comes off without a hitch no telling how many problems may come up or how well it will read or even last.
    You know, you're right. There's no telling how many problems there can be with a new drive, heck, there could even be no problems or very few. My point is that we don't know if the Blu-ray drives will have bugs in them or not, so don't claim that they will until you see the bugs.

like blue ray that are not even needed for games.
    Right now, Blu-ray isn't needed for games. But a few years down the road, they most definately will, because developers won't hover at 9GB for years, the original playstation had a CDs (700MB), the ps2 has DVDs (4.7Gb or 9.4 GB not sure if there's dual-layer discs used on current-gen systems) and the PS3 will use BDs (55GB i think). The developers most likely won't get even get to HALF of the capacity of Blu-ray discs, but they will most certainly get past 9GB of it within the next few years. And if these new systems life-span is around 8 or 9 years, then I think Xbox 360 would need an upgrade, because developers don't like making games on 2 or 3 discs.

look at whats in ps3 now not everything is theirs either like that vid card now if you ask me sony yea they make bd player but its not free i think they will be taking a huge hit but expect it to only be a temperary problem.
    Yep, and Microsoft manufactures all their hardware . What exactly is Microsoft manufacturing on the Xbox 360? ATI is making their GPU, some other company is making their CPU, and pretty much everyone makes DVD drives now, well, except Microsoft, so they need to buy one of those too (granted, DVD drives aren't expensive at all). On the other hand, Sony is manufacturing the Blu-ray drive, AND the CPU, and Sony and Nvidia apparently are making some deal and the companies will be working together closely, which means reduced costs when using each other's hardware.

assuming the media format becomes standard and they gain profit from the media itself. what if it dosen't work out?
    The chances that Blu-ray won't become the new standard are slim to none. Blu-Ray has HUGE support, and it will become very affordable in the PS3 (many people bought ps2s near its beginning because it had a DVD player in it and was much cheaper than a standalone DVD player, the same could happen for the PS3 with Blu-ray). And lets not forget that Blu-Ray is led by Sony, who own countless movie studios and (correct me if I'm wrong) could release all movies produced in their studios on Blu-Ray, as well as DVD near the beginning for people who can't afford Blu-ray players yet.

they are depending on the fact people will use these as their main players. if people were smart they would use there drives for games and the seldom dvd. else they just shorten the life of the drive.
    If people were smart then they would read up on Blu-ray players, and realize that they can play DVDs too, so let's sall hell freezes over, and Blu-ray doesn't become standard. The people who bought Blu-ray players would still be able to watch DVDs on their Blu-ray player, so it wouldn't be eliminating their DVD library. However, they would still need to buy an HD-DVD player in order to watch new movies, that is, assuming that movies weren't still released on DVDs at least for awhile.

there is no way the price of 1 blue ray disk will be cheaper and easyer for companys to put out than 2 dvd's even in the next few years.
    Really? well, since you said so, I'll just sit here and admire your complete knowledge. Could you please provide some proof to back this up?

Master Guru

[Live] Heavenly Sword Release Date Confirmed

Heavenly Sword Release Date Confirmed
    By: Justin Pinter

According to IGN, SCEA has announced that Heavenly Sword will hit retail stores September 12th.

Developed by Ninja Theory and Published by SCEA, Heavenly Sword will be one of the make or break titles for the PlayStation 3. Developers have confirmed that the game should provide 12-15 hours of gameplay and "stacks of unlockable content that's been stuffed onto the Blu-Ray."

Currently there is a demo available on the PlayStation Network and be sure to check out PSU's Hands-On preview of Heavenly Sword here.

Thread Information