HDMI vs. Composite Cable (red, yellow, and white)

What I've heard lately is that the HDMI cable is so awesome...and I guess it is....but is it really better than the composite cables that the PS3 already comes with? Don't get me wrong, I love HD as much as the next guy...But I don't wanna buy a $50 cable just cause it's only one individual cable, or just because it's popular. So my question is will the composite cables (red, yellow, and white) do the same job as a HDMI on a 1080p bigscreen? Or will I have to give up a 50 to have an HD "experience" on my PS3?

PS3 ALL THE WAY

Apprentice

I dont actually have an HDTV but from what i hear you just dont get the full experience from Composite.

Dedicated Member
    There are $10 HDMI cables online from what I hear. All that "gold plated connector" crap doesn't apply to digital connections such as HDMI. And yes, HDMI is a vast improvement. I played on my gf's 720p widescreen HDTV on launch day. I took it home that night to my little 480i, and I'm now longing to buy an HDTV...trust me man. You won't be disappointed in that $10 investment.

Dedicated Member
    Absolutely it makes a difference. If you've played computer games, you can compare the difference, like playing a game at 640x480 (which is like your TV) as oppoosed to playing a game at 1280x1024. The difference is humongous, needless to say noticeable. I think in order to fully enjoy a PS3, you'll need a 1080p TV which are quite pricey today. A 720p TV would be adequate.

PSN ID: Logo

Ya HDMI is definitely way better than the composite cables that come in the box. I got an HDMI cable and an Optical Audio cable off monoprice.com for about 15 dollars. They are really cheap and so far have worked great with my PS3.

Superior Member
    monoprice is where to get them. they are GREAT and cheap. trust me they are your best bet. We had a huge "discussion" about this earlier today.

Composite video (R,W,B) CANT give you a HD picture. they are an analogue only input. To get HD quality you MUST use component video (red green and blue) or HDMI.

Pick one up. you wont be upset at all especially at monoprice's cost

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10240&style=

I was PMing with another member about them... check this link. the smaller the gauge number the thicker (and potentially better) the cable. Short runs will be okay with the cheapest set of cables.

Enjoy!

Superior Member

HDMI is no better than component cable. In fact its just a fancy single plug.
    Component however is way better than composite!
    PS3プログラマー

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by changing View Post
    HDMI is no better than component cable. In fact its just a fancy single plug.
    Component however is way better than composite!
    HDMI is supposed to be better (although may not be noticable) it is an all digital signal versus analogue (Component)

For those that are new to the terms... dont confuse Composite (YWR) and Component (RGB)

Component is the same as HDMI, the signal is just spread into 3 cables unlike the HDMI...

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by keisukeMamoru86 View Post
    There are $10 HDMI cables online from what I hear. All that "gold plated connector" crap doesn't apply to digital connections such as HDMI. And yes, HDMI is a vast improvement. I played on my gf's 720p widescreen HDTV on launch day. I took it home that night to my little 480i, and I'm now longing to buy an HDTV...trust me man. You won't be disappointed in that $10 investment.
    Lol, after reading that $10 investment part there, I actually laughed out loud. XD

Interesting how you can afford a $1000 PS3 off eBay and yet you can't pay $10 for a cable

composite and regular coaxial are horrible connections. If you have a decent regular definition television, pick up the 10 dollar s-video cable for ps2. The difference in quality is night and day. Honestly in most of the games i play alot, I acctually see textures that i've never seen before. If you spend a little more and get the ps2 component cables its a little better than the s-video. But nowhere near the jump from rca jacks (composite) to s-video. And that leads to the real question. How much of a difference is there between HDMI and component, or s-video?

but honestly, if u are not sure if you want to fall for the hdtv craze, just spend a few dollars first on s-video cables, and see if you don't have a new appreciation for your standard def tv. This is all assuming tho, that your tv even has s-video and component input.

Apprentice
    Would the ps2 component cable work on the ps3?

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by duketogo View Post

Yes it will, I will double check for you if you'd like...

Sony SXRD VPL-VW50 w/ 100" Da-lite Fixed Screen

Sony KDL-55XBR8, Samsung BDP-3600 BR Player, Black Cloud 160GB & X Box 360 Elite

Superior Member
    For give me for saying this But just think for a second lol

You have a $600.00 Doller PS3 and a fantastic LCD / PLasma TV, so why on earth buy some rubbish cable to attach it ?

It defies logic, and i will never understand how poeple think, my father has a 35'000.00 British Pound hifi, and i can tell you now it would be rubbish if he conected it with Sh*t cables. They are as important to the set up as the console it's self.

I have friends from work come round every now and again, and the first thing they say is wow, how can it sound so good, or we have that tv at work and it looks rubbish compared to how your's is ? Ofcouse it is better, how can it not be, cables are very important, listen = ( VERY IMPORTENT)

People say it is a Digital Cable so there is no difference, lol Rubbish, i work in a shop so can take home any lead i like to try it out, and to go from an 20.00 HDMI to a 300.00 HDMI is so much difference it is like you have just added the best PS3 to your setup ever made.

Ohh well hope someone learns and sorry for moaning but if someone reading this and actually listens, and buys themselves a good cable then it is worth me writitng this in the first place.

cheers

Roman

Ps, Remember if you goto a good shop, you can get a refund if you dont like the lead, lol so you wont have lost anything, and the good exspencive leads all come in boxes and not takky open once piece of plastic

PPs, If your looking for a good lead but dont want to spend loads, then get the QED HDMI-P 55.00 You can get this anywhere as QED are around the world, have you seen the lead that Sony want you to get, the HDMI for PS3 ? here it is http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS3-Monst...251256-9321638 this is a $100.00 US Doller lead, now think about it ?????????

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by duketogo View Post
    Yes it will for sure, your same avmulti out cable.
    PS3プログラマー

I just bought a ps2 component cable from sony for 25 bucks at circuit city yesterday since the monster one I owned for years all of a sudden decided not to work anymore....thought it might have been the ps3 at first....thank god it wasnt.

If you can wait just do the monoprice/bluejean cable route....if not find a store with a ps2 cable from sony for a decent price.

Forum Sage
    ya you deff. need to go with HDMI over composite

Thread Information