Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Member

ATTN: SONY. What we want in future firmware updates.

I cant get my ps3 til March as I'm in Oz. But when I do get it I am hoping for some improvements.

After thoroughly following ps3 and listening to everyones reviews I believe SONY needs to tweak a few things. It is known that companies frequent their message boards and SONY is no different. So I have created this thread so we can get our message across on what we would like in future firmware updates.

I will add all suggestions to the original post with reference to the member who made the suggestion. If and when it becomes available on the ps3 i will bold the suggestion, provide the firmware update it is on and any tips to using it. Help me out.

By the way, if someone from SONY Australia does check this out,(haha wishful thinking) please email me. Im after a job with you guys. Ive successfully run my own business for 3 years and am studying business at uni at the moment.

My suggestion is background downloads.

1. Background downloads.
    2. opengl in linux for anyone............................................ .........(system shocker)
    3. Screen Savers
    4. Customisable XMB............................................... ................(3&4 Fatalkeyv)
    5. Access to the RSX through HyperVisor for "Other OS"
    6. Ability to have keyboard and mouse input only in the built in web browser.
    7. Ability to set my own background images on the XMB.
    8. Pausable and resumable downloads ........................................(5-8 Cmunsta)
    9. support for USB Wireless Adapters.......................................... (BonafideZulu)
    10. voice chat available even in games that don't use it so you can play a game and get a call from an online friend who'll invite you to play another game.............................................. ...........(Naboomagnoli)
    11. networking through the crossmedia bar so i can view my files from my pc........(Chartwel)
    12. own icon/avatar to our account instead of using sonys..................................(fatalkeyv)
    13. be able to connect to ps3 with psp without having to put the ps3 in psp connectivity mode....(Scozzy13)
    14. Upscaling!
    15. Personal sound tracks for ALL games.....................................(14&15 ShinMaruku)
    16.The ability to access the xmb during a game.............................(Jason)
    17. being able to acces remote play features even if PS3 is off/standby...................(bjunkie)
    18. Direct ps3 forum access from XMB............................................(fa talkeyv)
    19. Provide patches so that existing USB steering controllers can be used in driving games, like the Logitech Driving Force Pro..........................(Tetsu)firmware 1.02. http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=42416
    20. The ability to use Skype and Skype-compatible phones via XMB and Wi-fi/Bluetooth........(Naboomagnoli)
    21. Guitar Hero guitar support........................................... (tmend ick)
    22. The option to boot directly to XMB instead of the inserted game/bluray disc!.......................(iobuffa)
    23. Adding Custom Music During Gameplay....................................(Midni ghts Creed)

PNP: dizzan

Most anticipated: Next Pes, Uncharted, 8 days, HS, Mario Gal, Alan Wake

opengl in linux for anyone?

Apprentice
    yeah about the backround downloads . i think ps3 hasnt god that much ram that you can do backround downloads and doo other stuff at the same time.but maybe im wrnog .time will tell

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arn3lis View Post
    yeah about the backround downloads . i think ps3 hasnt god that much ram that you can do backround downloads and doo other stuff at the same time.but maybe im wrnog .time will tell
    Also the CPU is used while downloading. A console cannot work unless the standard of games is decreased. You may be able to play arcadish games like Blast Factor, but not games like Resistance FOM.
    PSN ID: solinent | I accept all friend requests! |
    *insert generic quote about the ps3 taking over including bold for maximum effect (colors and size changes also apply)*

Apprentice
    SCREEN SAVERS!!
    More application as possible.
    customizable XMB

Apprentice

Are you on crack? Background DL's? Maybe while surfing or something but defently not while playing games..

A couple of things I'd like to see (some not that big a deal but...)

1- Access to the RSX through HyperVisor for "Other OS" (or at least more than just nothing)
    2- Ability to have keyboard and mouse input only in the built in web browser. Having the virtual keyboard pop up every time I want to do a simple search on Google is a bit annoying.
    3- Ability to set my own background images on the XMB. Come on guys, you have that feature on the PSP, how hard can it be to throw in on the PS3 as well.
    4- As well as the BG downloads, I'd like to see pausable/resumable downloads so that I can pause my downloads, take off for a weekend without leaving the PS3 on and come back and resume where I left off.

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff later.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

My Setup:
    42" Westinghouse LVM-42W2 1080p LCD display
    Yamaha HTR-5860 Receiver (95W RMS per channel, 7.1 capable)
    PLAYSTATION 3 (60GB) via HDMI (TV) and optical cable (Receiver)
    Front Speakers: PSB Image 3LRs
    Rear Speakers: PSB Mighty Mites
    Center Speaker: PSB Century 100i
    Subwoofer: PSB 130W RMS 10" Powered subwoofer.

Elite Member
    More applications as possible? Can you be more specific with that?

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TehGhett0P1mp View Post
    Are you on crack? Background DL's? Maybe while surfing or something but defently not while playing games..
    Thats what I meant. Did I ever say "backgroung Dls during games?" NO? Maybe you should learn how to read before you criticize...

My bad with the Double Post

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by designit123 View Post
    Thats what I meant. Did I ever say "backgroung Dls during games?" NO? Maybe you should learn how to read before you criticize...

My bad with the Double Post
    But you never said while browsing so maybe you should learn how to read

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TehGhett0P1mp View Post
    But you never said while browsing so maybe you should learn how to read
    Its pretty obvious that the system doesn't have the ability to play games and dl at the same time. I thought I was directing the comment at people informed on the specs of the system and that had some idea of performance capabilities......... obviously not

Elite Sage
    2. opengl in linux for anyone............................................ .........(system shocker)
    Won't happen.

Why? Doing so would allow professional studios develop games for the PS3 at NO royalties whatsoever. That would KILL Sony, seeing as how they're losing a bunch of moola on every PS3 sold.
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by solinent View Post
    Also the CPU is used while downloading. A console cannot work unless the standard of games is decreased. You may be able to play arcadish games like Blast Factor, but not games like Resistance FOM.

that is true..................

Please abide by the 5 word minimum rule. Don't spam ".....". - The_One

Superior Member
    How about support for USB Wireless Adapters...

Quote of The Year
    "When will you xbots learn nobody gives a f**k what u think, are u that desperate for attention? When you typed all I saw was Blah blah Bill Gates' d**k in my mouth blah blah." - InfamousAssasyn (Game Trailers, Uncharted, TV Spot)

Master Poster
    Downloads occuring in background (is the PS3 still dedicating one SPE to the OS? I thought so from previous info in which case during games, but PlayB3yond mentions using 8 processors in one of the vids so maybe not and d/ling during Blu-ray movies would suit me fine), voice chat available even in games that don't use it (so you can play Afrika or something and get a call from an online friend who'll invite you to play another game..)

Elite Guru
    all i want is the ability to network through the crossmedia bar so i can view my files from my pc. i know we can use linus, but i like the xmb. if they do this then the ps3 will be my new media center.

Apprentice
    7. Ability to set my own background images on the XMB.
    this can be done in PSP

and WHY NOT PS3!!!

what is sony doin??

isnt it great if we can put owr own icon/avatar to our account instead of using sonys?

Einhander
    Quote Originally Posted by Arn3lis
    Quote Originally Posted by solinent View Post
    That's it, it's confirmed! PS3 is garbage! Xbox 360 for me all the way! ...Guys c'mon I'm just kidding lol I'm not really a 360 fanb...heh...I'm gonna die...

Superior Member
    be able to connect to ps3 with psp without having to put the ps3 in psp connectivity mode and not be able to do anything. and be able to connect to pc threw network. along with all the other suggestions here.
    [img]http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/Scozzy13.png[/img ]

≈РĻǻуΐПĞ 3џФŋĐ≈

Master Guru
    Firmly attached to Ayane's boobies WAHAHAHAHAHA!
    PSN ID
    ShinMaruku
    Upscaling.
    And personal sound tracks for games.

Superior Member
    oh ya, and the ability to listen to your music thats on your hdd or usb devices, mem cards and what not while in game, not just on the xmb. thatd be sweet.

edit: argh, u beat me to it buy seconds shinmaruku lol
    [img]http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/Scozzy13.png[/img ]

≈РĻǻуΐПĞ 3џФŋĐ≈

Super Elite
    I wouldn't worry about it. From what I can tell, they've been doing well with PSP updates, so they'll probably update PS3 on a regular basis. I can easily see the upscaling issue being resolved in one of the early updates.

Formerly cap_826

Quote Originally Posted by The_One View Post
    Won't happen.

Why? Doing so would allow professional studios develop games for the PS3 at NO royalties whatsoever. That would KILL Sony, seeing as how they're losing a bunch of moola on every PS3 sold.
    Not at all. Any game that would be made would have to be player through Linux, not directly on the PS3. This means that Officially Licensed Developers still have the advantage of direct hardware access. While Linux side developers are hampered by having an OS loaded and running in memory *and* having to go through HyperVisor.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

My Setup:
    42" Westinghouse LVM-42W2 1080p LCD display
    Yamaha HTR-5860 Receiver (95W RMS per channel, 7.1 capable)
    PLAYSTATION 3 (60GB) via HDMI (TV) and optical cable (Receiver)
    Front Speakers: PSB Image 3LRs
    Rear Speakers: PSB Mighty Mites
    Center Speaker: PSB Century 100i
    Subwoofer: PSB 130W RMS 10" Powered subwoofer.

Apprentice

It would be helpfull if you could go to the xmb during a game.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by cmunsta View Post
    Not at all. Any game that would be made would have to be player through Linux, not directly on the PS3. This means that Officially Licensed Developers still have the advantage of direct hardware access. While Linux side developers are hampered by having an OS loaded and running in memory *and* having to go through HyperVisor.
    3D Acceleration under Linux is what you're basically looking for.

I still say there's only a slim chance that'll ever happen--officially, that is. Some joe cracker might gain access to the RSX via Linux sometime in the future, we never know .
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Thread Information