Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    129 (0 Banked)

    Question regarding scamming from selling ps3 on craigslist

    I plan on selling my ps3 for 700 on craiglist but this is the e-mail i received. Can anybody read this and explain to me if this is real or if it fake, how would the scam occur? it just seems so professional but i know not to trust anything without doing research. So for all you seller buffs, any input on whether this is legit or not is appreciated. Anyway, here's the e-mail.

    My Payment is western union money order and i shall take care of the shipping with my FedEx account,whereby you will be dropping off the package to any FedEx office around you,So if that sounds good to you kindly mail me back with the total cost price plus shipping,and your full name and adress as you want it to appear on the payment.I may be the lucky buyer of the item.

    and this is from the second guy who offered $50 more than the top guy. I just want a legit buyer is all and will return it to the store if it does not sell for more than $100 above retail. Too much trouble. Anyway, here's the second e-mail from another potential buyer. Are any of these people legit?

    Thanks for the reply,Money Gram is a form of money transfer when a certain amount of money is paid they will inform both parties about it whether is approved or not and if approved they require a shipment tracking number as a further means of proof of funds which after then they will mail the recipient of the money the day and time he or she will have the money at hhis or her home address,so for the shipment tracking number i'll be sending that to you which in turn you will send to them for the release of your cash order provided the payment is approved.
    Thanks and get back to me with your full name and address if ok byyou.

  2. #2
    Aleman
    Guest
    Anything involving Western Union is a scam. Period.

    Always, always deal with cash only on Craigslist.

  3. #3
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Heh. Googling for Money Gram turned up this gem on the first page of hits.

    Craiglists themselves say don't deal with people who want to wire money.

    If you use a FedEx account number to ship something, the account number holder is the one who pays for the shipment, not you. You'd think the account holder would know that...

    Aleman's right. Both sound fishy.

    Why don't you want to use eBay to sell the PS3? Don't they have some measure of fraud protection? Craigslist certainly doesn't.

  4. #4
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    265 (0 Banked)
    I would stay clear of both. I've had people say they would pay for shipping like the first guy. Seriously, I think those are scams. Stick with Paypal or money order.

  5. #5
    Aleman
    Guest
    I'll say it again... you should only be dealing locally and with cash on Craigslist. There is no protection against fraud.

  6. #6
    blade4246
    Guest
    I would say no Paypal or money order on Craigslist ONLY CASH in $20 bills not $100/$50.
    Western Union money transfer is good. Only received your money before sending the ps3.

    PS, Paypal sux.. why would everyone deals with such company "We(Paypal) can freeze your account anytime we feel to" that in our user agreement..LMAO!

  7. #7
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    129 (0 Banked)
    ALEMAN how about paypal?

  8. #8
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    129 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by blade4246 View Post
    I would say no Paypal or money order on Craigslist ONLY CASH in $20 bills not $100/$50.
    Western Union money transfer is good. Only received your money before sending the ps3.

    PS, Paypal sux.. why would everyone deals with such company "We(Paypal) can freeze your account anytime we feel to" that in our user agreement..LMAO!
    how about paypal? aleman... isn't there a protection for both seller and boyer on there?

  9. #9
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,396
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    15,806 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    DO NOT respond to those add. Want proof of it? Reply to the first guy and tell him you will ship immediatly once you have received payment and is completed at your local western union dealer... Here's what he will most likely reply.
    I will send my money order to you from my fedex account, once they have it, they will send you an email to confirm to you they have the money order ready to ship and is on hold until I tell them you have sent the package from your fedex office. Once you send me the tracking number, My fedex office will free up the money order to be sent to you immediately
    If not exactly that, it will be pretty similar. Accept only to ship the item to those who offer to pay western union or any other money order type once you have RECEIVED and cash payout has been finalized to YOU. They will back peddel and tell you how much safer it is for both of you and him to do it his way that Fedex themselves, a reputable shipping company will email you to let you know it's safe blah blah blah.... Go ahead, try it. Also be aware of people wanting you to send it to Nigeria to their cousin studying hard to be nurses or whatever relative there for whatever reason.

    On the other hand, I am trying to load off a Japanese 20gig because I got screwed on ebay thinking it was a NA model... Once I sell it, if yours is still available I will hit you up.


    Edit, if you want to go the paypal route, only send to VERIFIED members and to THEIR VERIFIED address ONLY... I also heard escrow is good for that type of transaction but there are fees attached to it. When dealing with paypal, make sure you have tracking numbers, insurance and keep all your documents receipt email etc for at least 45 days.


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  10. #10
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    129 (0 Banked)
    no problem man.. how much did you pay for your NA model?

    wow it's crazy how many people try to scam other people.. i thought for sure one of these people are legit... since i posted on craigs list last week, i've gotten about 12 people asking for it. turns out that these 12 people are scammers as well

  11. #11
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    261 (0 Banked)
    i was told with craig list to do transfer in local area and in cash... its your best bet , plus you recieve item in person and able to check it out right on the spot..

  12. #12
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,396
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    15,806 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    I paid 1000$ CDN including shipping THINKING it was a NA model, but it is a JPN model, not too good for PS1-PS2 and DVD playback compatibility here. Make sure you don't do the exchange at 2am in a back parking lot of a walmart


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  13. #13
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    129 (0 Banked)
    lol wow that guy's really messed up.. when was the purchase made?

    and yea lol i'll make sure not to do a transfer at 2 a.m at a walmart.. i'll meet him in an embasy or something.

  14. #14
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    128 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by kun817 View Post
    I plan on selling my ps3 for 700 on craiglist but this is the e-mail i received. Can anybody read this and explain to me if this is real or if it fake, how would the scam occur? it just seems so professional but i know not to trust anything without doing research. So for all you seller buffs, any input on whether this is legit or not is appreciated. Anyway, here's the e-mail.

    My Payment is western union money order and i shall take care of the shipping with my FedEx account,whereby you will be dropping off the package to any FedEx office around you,So if that sounds good to you kindly mail me back with the total cost price plus shipping,and your full name and adress as you want it to appear on the payment.I may be the lucky buyer of the item.

    and this is from the second guy who offered $50 more than the top guy. I just want a legit buyer is all and will return it to the store if it does not sell for more than $100 above retail. Too much trouble. Anyway, here's the second e-mail from another potential buyer. Are any of these people legit?

    Thanks for the reply,Money Gram is a form of money transfer when a certain amount of money is paid they will inform both parties about it whether is approved or not and if approved they require a shipment tracking number as a further means of proof of funds which after then they will mail the recipient of the money the day and time he or she will have the money at hhis or her home address,so for the shipment tracking number i'll be sending that to you which in turn you will send to them for the release of your cash order provided the payment is approved.
    Thanks and get back to me with your full name and address if ok byyou.

    NO, this email isn't legit man. I got a email similar to this. i asked the person if there was another way to exchange the item so that its fair for both parties and he enver responded. Also, not that it really means much, but i look up there email address through myspace to see if they are actually a real person. not that its a good method, bt atleast it puts more info on the potential buyer on your side.

  15. #15
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    129 (0 Banked)
    lol wow that guy's really messed up.. when was the purchase made?

    and yea lol i'll make sure not to do a transfer at 2 a.m at a walmart.. i'll meet him in an embasy or something.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,396
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    15,806 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by kun817 View Post
    lol wow that guy's really messed up.. when was the purchase made?

    and yea lol i'll make sure not to do a transfer at 2 a.m at a walmart.. i'll meet him in an embasy or something.
    Oh...long story...lol

    the purchase was made last week from ebay and it was suppose to ship next business day. the same night I hit the buy it now button I receive an email from ebay loss prevention department saying the sellers account is suspended and under investigation and if I already made a payment, to inform paypal and file a claim immediately...So I do. Money is frozen in paypal of course so the seller is not getting it... We exchange email up until Tuesday night when he decides to ship me the PS3 anyway but wants me to cancel my claim ASAP after he provides me the tracking number with UPS.

    I call UPS directly and provide them with the tracking number and they assure me it is in fact a PS3 still factory sealed that is on the way for overnight shipping. So in good faith I cancel the paypal claim. Next morning I receive my PS3...

    I'm so excited, I don't even take the time to check anything, I hook it up, put in Kingdom of heaven to try blu-ray for the first time...AMAZING!!!! 20 mins later, I switch to Ridge Racer 7....WOW... I play 20 minutes and decide I will try what the buzz is about the PQ while playing FFXII, I stick it in... CANNOT READ DISK error WTF!!!

    I try FFVII-AC DVD... CANNOT READ DISK error... TRIPPLE WTF!!!!

    I check the box.... Everything is in Japanese

    I tried to re-open the claim with paypal, no can do. I check the itme description on ebay...gone sellers account suspended. Now I know why, he probably sold 3-4 JPN PS3's before mine with absolutely no mention that it was a japanese model. I should of been more careful before cancelling the claim and I should of been suspicious when I saw the blurred receipt on the pic.

    in conclusion, I want to trade my JPN PS3 for a NA one, or sell it and buy a NA model...


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  17. #17
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    261 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Oh...long story...lol

    the purchase was made last week from ebay and it was suppose to ship next business day. the same night I hit the buy it now button I receive an email from ebay loss prevention department saying the sellers account is suspended and under investigation and if I already made a payment, to inform paypal and file a claim immediately...So I do. Money is frozen in paypal of course so the seller is not getting it... We exchange email up until Tuesday night when he decides to ship me the PS3 anyway but wants me to cancel my claim ASAP after he provides me the tracking number with UPS.

    I call UPS directly and provide them with the tracking number and they assure me it is in fact a PS3 still factory sealed that is on the way for overnight shipping. So in good faith I cancel the paypal claim. Next morning I receive my PS3...

    I'm so excited, I don't even take the time to check anything, I hook it up, put in Kingdom of heaven to try blu-ray for the first time...AMAZING!!!! 20 mins later, I switch to Ridge Racer 7....WOW... I play 20 minutes and decide I will try what the buzz is about the PQ while playing FFXII, I stick it in... CANNOT READ DISK error WTF!!!

    I try FFVII-AC DVD... CANNOT READ DISK error... TRIPPLE WTF!!!!

    I check the box.... Everything is in Japanese

    I tried to re-open the claim with paypal, no can do. I check the itme description on ebay...gone sellers account suspended. Now I know why, he probably sold 3-4 JPN PS3's before mine with absolutely no mention that it was a japanese model. I should of been more careful before cancelling the claim and I should of been suspicious when I saw the blurred receipt on the pic.

    in conclusion, I want to trade my JPN PS3 for a NA one, or sell it and buy a NA model...

    Sorry for your story... should of gone with first choice and sending out the claim... hopefully things work out good

  18. #18
    Basic Chair
    Guest
    Accidental Post!!! I"m Sorry!!!!

  19. #19
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,396
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    15,806 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by SIILENTKARMA1 View Post
    Sorry for your story... should of gone with first choice and sending out the claim... hopefully things work out good
    I had already dropped a claim, so paypal did not let me make a second one on the same transaction. At the very worst I will relist the PS3 on ebay and lose a little on my initial purchase and try to get another one, they are going down in prices anyway.


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  20. #20
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    129 (0 Banked)
    lol turns out those two guys are fake as well..

    from now on.. all dealings are made on paypal or through cash transfers only.

  21. #21
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,396
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    15,806 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    That's your best bet. I have had good luck on Kijiji. Sold a 360, a Nikon D70 a LG LCD and a inspiron 6400, all transactions went smoothly.


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  22. #22
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    129 (0 Banked)
    is kijiji in the usa? specifically new york?

  23. #23
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,396
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    15,806 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by kun817 View Post
    is kijiji in the usa? specifically new york?
    A quick check tells me no... http://www.kijiji.com but they are affiliated with ebay, so maybe ebay has some kind of equivalent to kijiji in the States.


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  24. #24
    beng_82
    Guest
    Is that scam again. And you know how it is a scam sometimes, because who is this world will offer you more money than what you are asking for.

  25. #25
    Azumi
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Oh...long story...lol

    in conclusion, I want to trade my JPN PS3 for a NA one, or sell it and buy a NA model...
    Snooper, IMO the best course of action for you is to sell it to a European. Those who are willing to go for an imported PS3 won't care if it comes from Japan or NA because neither would work with Euro PS2 games anyway. Besides, the JPN consoles have a pretty good rep over here.

    Although I'm not interested, I'm pretty sure that plenty of European people will.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. A PS3 Vid - By PS|Xero
    By PS|Xero in forum PlayStation 3
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 07:59
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 02:05
  3. so im going to get a 360
    By felix954 in forum Xbox
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 00:50
  4. ADMINS and MODS please reply
    By PS3PWNZ in forum Forum Rules, Help & Feedback
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 09:43

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.