Latest PSU headlines:

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Elite Guru
    NYFAN75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    37,520 (0 Banked)

    Looks like the US GOV. will have more ammo.

    Just read this story and it looks like it will fuel the fire for video game law's.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15938244...wsweek/page/4/

    When will people learn that it is the parents responsibilty to govern what there children will do and not the Government's???

  2. #2
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    And the child's responsibility to keep their violent instincts pitted against virtual opponents and not old ladies. Seriously, I hate how everyone's giving heat to the gaming population because a few 6 year olds play GTA and think it'd be smart to go out and kill someone. If the government's so worried, let them enforce their 'no selling 18s to people under 18' law.

    Seriously though, this is nothing new. Gamers just have to live with the fact that stupid people do stupid things.

    I pull the cord and freefall, so high I feel so small...

  3. #3
    Dedicated Member
    Galls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,097
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    125 (0 Banked)
    and exactly why I feel the system has failed when I see 13/14/15/ year olds talking about how great GTA is on these boards.

    Even though my son is only 8 months old I don't play games when he is in the room.


    "We really don't need this if we want to improve the forum ~ Naxi"
    You mean I cannot call out a troll for being a useless incarnation of flesh?

  4. #4
    Elite Guru
    NYFAN75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    37,520 (0 Banked)

    Looks like the US GOV. will have more ammo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galls View Post
    and exactly why I feel the system has failed when I see 13/14/15/ year olds talking about how great GTA is on these boards.

    Even though my son is only 8 months old I don't play games when he is in the room.
    Hey my daughter just turned 2 and I haven't played a game for a serious amount of time for about as long.. I will not play my games around her.

  5. #5
    Dedicated Member
    Galls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,097
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    125 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYFAN View Post
    Hey my daughter just turned 2 and I haven't played a game for a serious amount of time for about as long.. I will not play my games around her.


    Well I am lucky mine still sleeps a lot...


    "We really don't need this if we want to improve the forum ~ Naxi"
    You mean I cannot call out a troll for being a useless incarnation of flesh?

  6. #6
    Dedicated Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,185
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    2,723 (0 Banked)
    I don't see any problem with making the sale of violent, M, video games the equivalent of Tobacco. They shouldn't be played by minors.
    "Knowledge is power"
    My Blog


  7. #7
    Ultimate Veteran
    coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Age
    38
    Posts
    20,788
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    26,325 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    well some kids dont know between game play and real life.
    so they will try to harm somebody.
    but video games should be on the bottom of the list.
    Rap music does more harm to kids then video games

  8. #8
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    365
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    247 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Rap music does more harm to kids then video games
    I could go into a long rant on how much BS that is but I digress. The point is im 15, I play M rated games and last time I can remember I havent had any homicidal rampages in the streets. Its stupid people who cant seperate fact from fiction who give games/gamers a bad rep. Honestly I see/hear the same things on TV, movies, and music that I see/hear in games and I seem to be pretty normal. If someone wants to pick up and AK-47 and mow people down in the streets I doubt an session of GTA helped inspire them to do so...

  9. #9
    Elite Member
    solinent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    122 (0 Banked)
    I am a teenaged boy. 15 to be exact. I have never been allowed M games before (when I was around 10 - 12) and I am pretty sure I could handle those games. They have not made me more violent (I sneaked playing at friends houses). In fact, I have learned alot from these games. I played God of War when it came out a couple years ago (sex minigame lol) and it is not like I have not been exposed to such media before.

    If they were to limit video games in houses, they should also limit the buying of movies, and TV shows to minors. It is the same difference.

    Sorry I missed all single quotes, my single quote button is not working :P

    Video game sales should NOT be limited. If they were, social behaviours (such as going to other peoples houses to play games) will dramatically lessen. Halo is rated M, but its audience is generally 12 - 25 year olds (alot of 15 and 14 year olds, no one in my entire school that is a boy has not played halo unless they're a complete nerd). Spell check worked for single quotes .

    Instead, they should make a different rating system.

    RATED M FOR MILD VIOLENCE
    -10+
    -No blood, more violence than other simple games aimed at younger kids (like pokemon, you "knock out" other pokemon)
    RATED M FOR EXTEREME VIOLENCE
    -14+
    -Blood
    RATED M FOR VIOLENCE WITH NO MORALES
    -16+ (ID Requried! This includes games that are currently rated T that allow you to kill, rape and commit crime to innocent people. Like Grand Theft Auto) If you are able to drive a car, youre old enough for violence
    -If there is no clear EVIL force. Evil can be the police, as long as its in context (think Matrix).
    RATED M FOR SEX (NO PORN)
    -14+

    RATED M FOR PORN
    -18+ (ID)

    RATED I FOR INFANTS
    -3+
    RATED E FOR EVERYONE
    -6+
    PSN ID: solinent | I accept all friend requests! |
    *insert generic quote about the ps3 taking over including bold for maximum effect (colors and size changes also apply)*

  10. #10
    Apprentice
    Final_fantasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    25
    Posts
    425
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    826 (0 Banked)
    i actually agree with you solinent. heck, my father believed that violent videogames didn't do things to children like make them viloent people, heck, i started my videogames (the ones i remember) playing doom at the age of nine. have i been arrested yet for being violent or by being a total miscreant? no. had it not been for some disrespectful people in highschool, my school record of detentions and disruptive behavior would be spotless. yet even today, most people who see me say that i am nice, and my friends say that i may be too nice. its not the games, its the up-bringing and their experiences with social interaction. either that or a very VERY weak mind *snikkers* still, being 17, the game laws don't apply to me anymore. well theres my two bits.

    EDIT* as for the rap thing, i disagree, its about their experiences and their feelings, its not ment to inspire violence or imply that its good, it says the suffering and how its caused, its just said differently as compared to other music. more direct if you look at it but still requiring some thought to devote to it to figure it all out. remember, don't hear the music, listen to it. only then will you understand it to the fullest.
    for some reason, i feel like stuffing an unrevealing yet obvious porn dvd case with goldfish snack crackers after removing the dvd and sell it to a gullible teenager.

  11. #11
    Superior Member
    ninjaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    58
    Points
    123 (0 Banked)
    I'm 16, I play M games all the time and I have no intentions or desire to go out and commit crimes, in fact, I’m a straight A student in school. People need to get a clue, the games aren't the problem it’s the kid that's the problem. People will go on about games because that's the easy way out, but it won't change anything. People need to face the problem directly! Why does there always have to be something to blame? Why can't people accept that the kid's messed up?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuLEmWccM
    Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage

  12. #12
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    365
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    247 (0 Banked)
    Im glad im not the only one that feels the same about this whole thing...

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Drunk Vegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    130 (0 Banked)
    If video games really influenced our behavior, all of us who played Pacman as kids would spend most of our time darting around dark rooms with repetitive music popping pills...

    Oh, wait, damn...

  14. #14
    Dedicated Member
    Galls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,097
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    125 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehGhett0P1mp View Post
    I could go into a long rant on how much BS that is but I digress. The point is im 15, I play M rated games and last time I can remember I havent had any homicidal rampages in the streets. Its stupid people who cant seperate fact from fiction who give games/gamers a bad rep. Honestly I see/hear the same things on TV, movies, and music that I see/hear in games and I seem to be pretty normal. If someone wants to pick up and AK-47 and mow people down in the streets I doubt an session of GTA helped inspire them to do so...
    Well there is also a way us parents want our children to be raised. Popular culture is the least beneficial influence to the raising of our children. I'm all for childhood independence but look at todays popular culture, video games, music, and movies (tv included), from the perspective of truth. Today music and games glorify violence and sex, as extremism sells it will only progress further along those lines. To think that pop culture has not harmed you and I do mean harmed in anyway is false, you are less intelligent because of it, you are less aware of world events because of it, you are a less productive member of society.

    Video games have not yet reached the problem that music or tv is today, sex is largely absent from all non-Japanese games. Violence is however the point of most games and it dulls your senses to events that occur during the real world, which is a problem.

    Music and TV are the worst offenders however, just listen to what RAP glorifies, sex and violence. Now you can argue that this has been status quo for since the birth of music and it has, just recently starting with elvis basically it has only grown worse and worse and now you have for lack of a better word sluts and way to horny, or rather outwardly horny children all over the place.

    Now sure you kids (no disrespect meant in that mention) may think you are mature enough to handle the violence and not have it dull your senses, but in truth you really have no clue how immature you are and you will look back and say how stupid you where, I am sure I still have much of that to go through myself.


    "We really don't need this if we want to improve the forum ~ Naxi"
    You mean I cannot call out a troll for being a useless incarnation of flesh?

  15. #15
    BudFox
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TehGhett0P1mp View Post
    I could go into a long rant on how much BS that is but I digress. The point is im 15, I play M rated games and last time I can remember I havent had any homicidal rampages in the streets. Its stupid people who cant seperate fact from fiction who give games/gamers a bad rep. Honestly I see/hear the same things on TV, movies, and music that I see/hear in games and I seem to be pretty normal. If someone wants to pick up and AK-47 and mow people down in the streets I doubt an session of GTA helped inspire them to do so...
    The laws aren't meant to keep most of the people from turning into killers, nobody assumes that one day, one final extremely violent game will be released and every one under 19 who plays it will snap and kill people. They are meant for the few who can't take the violence and deal with it properly, and there are many kids coming from many different circumstances, who do have trouble with dealing with violent images and seperating them from reality.

    You seem like a smart kid, you made a good point with an honest answer but even your name says alot about popular culture in this country and the effect it has on youth. You chose to name yourself after a someone who exploits and abuses women to make money. Seriously, you have/had a mother, maybe a sister, aunt's, grandmother. The reality of pimps and what they stand for is a direct dis-respect to any important women in your life. The women a pimp beats is somebody's mother/sister etc. There is nothing to glorify/respect/admire/ or even funny about it.

    Now I don't think you fully take that into consideration when you chose your name, I don't think your a bad person. But it's just part of my point, kids don't always understand/care about or realize the complete implications of the media they take in. Granted neither do adults but we definitley have more practice and it is a fact that the human brain deals with things differently at a young age.

  16. #16
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    well some kids dont know between game play and real life.
    so they will try to harm somebody.
    but video games should be on the bottom of the list.
    Rap music does more harm to kids then video games
    Wow...that had to be one well thought out statments i've heard in a while. Yea and I'm sure that hardcore medal music makes kids wan't to walk around and bite chicken's heads off at schools to huh. Neither of which are true.

    I've been playing Rated M games every since i was 11, and never once have i ever wanted to go and do something wild and crazy cause of a game ive played.

    Kids are influenced by peers but Mostly by themselves and morals. If a kid isn't taught proper morals at a young age than of course there going to do things that they shouldn't do. And when that happens the media and parents always try and point a finger at someone (or something) else when something terrible happen(columbine shooting for ex.) when all in all it's the parents fault. Now of course this isn't always the case. And of course sometimes people just influence themselves. People just develop there own morals when they hit a certain age.

  17. #17
    Elite Member
    solinent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    122 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galls View Post
    Well there is also a way us parents want our children to be raised. Popular culture is the least beneficial influence to the raising of our children. I'm all for childhood independence but look at todays popular culture, video games, music, and movies (tv included), from the perspective of truth. Today music and games glorify violence and sex, as extremism sells it will only progress further along those lines. To think that pop culture has not harmed you and I do mean harmed in anyway is false, you are less intelligent because of it, you are less aware of world events because of it, you are a less productive member of society.

    Video games have not yet reached the problem that music or tv is today, sex is largely absent from all non-Japanese games. Violence is however the point of most games and it dulls your senses to events that occur during the real world, which is a problem.

    Music and TV are the worst offenders however, just listen to what RAP glorifies, sex and violence. Now you can argue that this has been status quo for since the birth of music and it has, just recently starting with elvis basically it has only grown worse and worse and now you have for lack of a better word sluts and way to horny, or rather outwardly horny children all over the place.

    Now sure you kids (no disrespect meant in that mention) may think you are mature enough to handle the violence and not have it dull your senses, but in truth you really have no clue how immature you are and you will look back and say how stupid you where, I am sure I still have much of that to go through myself.
    You, my friend, make valid points. The thing is, as soon as someone young commits a crime, they discriminate games as the cause. It's the same as not allowing me into a store because I may "look" like I'm going to steal something. Actually I don't really look like that, but they still don't let me in with a group of friends (over 4).

    I personally think music is more of an influcence than games. Even if you're just "hearing" your music then you are subconsciously taking in its values. Lol I am in a christian school where Slayer (a satantic band by any account) is popular amongst us. We just like the music, not the lyrics however.

    All in all, it should be up to the parent. The parent should be able to decide whether or not the game is appropriate. They should have a more leaniant system -- if the parents cannot take the system seriously then it does not work. Explain to me how Halo and God of War are rated under the same M rating?
    PSN ID: solinent | I accept all friend requests! |
    *insert generic quote about the ps3 taking over including bold for maximum effect (colors and size changes also apply)*

  18. #18
    Dedicated Member
    Galls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,097
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    125 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGotIt View Post
    Wow...that had to be one well thought out statments i've heard in a while. Yea and I'm sure that hardcore medal music makes kids wan't to walk around and bite chicken's heads off at schools to huh. Neither of which are true.

    I've been playing Rated M games every since i was 11, and never once have i ever wanted to go and do something wild and crazy cause of a game ive played.

    Kids are influenced by peers but Mostly by themselves and morals. If a kid isn't taught proper morals at a young age than of course there going to do things that they shouldn't do. And when that happens the media and parents always try and point a finger at someone (or something) else when something terrible happen(columbine shooting for ex.) when all in all it's the parents fault. Now of course this isn't always the case. And of course sometimes people just influence themselves. People just develop there own morals when they hit a certain age.

    Why is it that kids always take what parents say about pop culture as a direct attack upon their ability to not kill somebody.

    Look violence in games numbs your senses and you ability to feel compassion to the world around you. This is a fact...

    Us parents know you kids are not gonna go columbine on your school because of a game, even though school shootings certainly has raised with modern pop culture.

    Sex and Violence is what conquers music today, look how you kids act, you completely rely on Music and TV to develop your self image, the kid who dresses in all black, the dumb asses who wear their pants around their ankles and leave the sticker on their flat rimmed baseball caps, just by the way kids walk, act and dress you can tell what music they listen to. Face it when music glorifies sex and violence you are gonna have a lot of dumbasses thinking that is how they have to act. A lot of younger girls thinking they have to have sex, and a lot of dumb ass boys thinking they have to be all that music tells them to be...

    In response to solinet: I am a complete halo fanboy and aside from the multiplayer aspect of the game I dont see why a guy in a green suit shooting bright shiny almost matel looking aliens is just cause for M, the flood maybe. Either way my wife disagrees with me lol... Looks like I am going to be playing a lot of viva pinata type games lol...


    "We really don't need this if we want to improve the forum ~ Naxi"
    You mean I cannot call out a troll for being a useless incarnation of flesh?

  19. #19
    Superior Member
    ninjaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    58
    Points
    123 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galls View Post
    Well there is also a way us parents want our children to be raised. Popular culture is the least beneficial influence to the raising of our children. I'm all for childhood independence but look at todays popular culture, video games, music, and movies (tv included), from the perspective of truth. Today music and games glorify violence and sex, as extremism sells it will only progress further along those lines. To think that pop culture has not harmed you and I do mean harmed in anyway is false, you are less intelligent because of it, you are less aware of world events because of it, you are a less productive member of society.

    Video games have not yet reached the problem that music or tv is today, sex is largely absent from all non-Japanese games. Violence is however the point of most games and it dulls your senses to events that occur during the real world, which is a problem.

    Music and TV are the worst offenders however, just listen to what RAP glorifies, sex and violence. Now you can argue that this has been status quo for since the birth of music and it has, just recently starting with elvis basically it has only grown worse and worse and now you have for lack of a better word sluts and way to horny, or rather outwardly horny children all over the place.

    Now sure you kids (no disrespect meant in that mention) may think you are mature enough to handle the violence and not have it dull your senses, but in truth you really have no clue how immature you are and you will look back and say how stupid you where, I am sure I still have much of that to go through myself.
    But it should be up to the parents to see what their kids are playing. If the kids are playing games that their parents disapprove of it's the parents fault for not being involved or checking up on what their kids are doing. If a parent catches their kid playing a game that's inappropriate then the parent should punish the kid, not have laws made. If the children are playing bad games and getting away with it it's nobody's fault but the parents. Parents shouldn’t just let their kids run around because that isn’t parenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by BudFox View Post
    The laws aren't meant to keep most of the people from turning into killers, nobody assumes that one day, one final extremely violent game will be released and every one under 19 who plays it will snap and kill people. They are meant for the few who can't take the violence and deal with it properly, and there are many kids coming from many different circumstances, who do have trouble with dealing with violent images and seperating them from reality.

    You seem like a smart kid, you made a good point with an honest answer but even your name says alot about popular culture in this country and the effect it has on youth. You chose to name yourself after a someone who exploits and abuses women to make money. Seriously, you have/had a mother, maybe a sister, aunt's, grandmother. The reality of pimps and what they stand for is a direct dis-respect to any important women in your life. The women a pimp beats is somebody's mother/sister etc. There is nothing to glorify/respect/admire/ or even funny about it.

    Now I don't think you fully take that into consideration when you chose your name, I don't think your a bad person. But it's just part of my point, kids don't always understand/care about or realize the complete implications of the media they take in. Granted neither do adults but we definitley have more practice and it is a fact that the human brain deals with things differently at a young age.
    So a small minority should determine the path of everyone else? Parents should raise up their children so that those things don't make them kill people. If the child has some weird mental illness that makes him kill people when he plays a game then the parents should be stricter!

    Also, if the child is brought up properly then he shouldn't enjoy or be tempted to do bad things secretly with his friends (he should also chose his friends wisely). I wouldn't go out and do drugs or watch a porn film or steal something because I have been brought up to despise those things.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuLEmWccM
    Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage

  20. #20
    Elite Sage
    Carsonal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,137
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    126 (0 Banked)
    God, I swear i never want to be a parent.
    I would hate to have to deal with all this crap.


  21. #21
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    2,670 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Rap music does more harm to kids then video games
    ???? what part of rap are you implying
    if its this 50 twat thats around right now then ye
    but if your talking overall you know jack all about the whole genre of urban music
    uk hip hop lowkey klashnekoff kyza logic and meny more have never said i kill a (racist slang) cause he dissed me. infact the only bad words theyve said is against the goverment for going to war
    us hip hop eminem IT canibus and meny more dont say i wanna kill that guy
    mainstreem rap
    you hit nail head


    TBH i bet these guys will blame the games even though its the parents fault for buying the game

    Quote Originally Posted by wufei View Post
    ... I like playing with myself!

  22. #22
    Elite Guru
    NYFAN75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    37,520 (0 Banked)

    Looks like the US GOV. will have more ammo.

    TBH i bet these guys will blame the games even though its the parents fault for buying the game[/QUOTE]

    I totally agree with that 100%. Parent's do not take the time to research what thier kids are listening to or watching or even playing. But when they walk inot the room thier children are playing and see them playing a GTA or a Resident evil they flip out and blame the game manufacturer's for making a game THEY BOUGHT!!!! That is what the rating sytem is for... It takes like 2 seconds to read what is contained on the disc. Better yet read the description on the back to see what the hell the game is about!!!!!!!!!

  23. #23
    Dedicated Member
    j1994's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,106
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    122 (0 Banked)
    This is a load of bull. I mean, after playing Call of Duty I don't go around killing germans. After prince of persia i don't sneak round speed killing people and running along walls. I mean, if you have a problem with it, don't buy for godssake and stop trying to force us.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.