Superior Member

CNET Editor - Still missing, family found

Hey all -
    Not sure if you've read about this, but it has potential to be a sad story and I was hoping everyone could maybe say a prayer or just give a seconds thought to the family and the father. I obviously don't know him, but I know CNET has been mentioned in here from time to time.
    "MERLIN, Ore. - Footsteps in the snow on Tuesday were all that separated searchers from James Kim, a 35-year-old California man missing for more than a week in a rugged, remote area of the snow-covered Oregon Coast Range.
    State Police Lt. Doug Ladd said there was “a very reasonable chance” that he is still alive.
    “They determined that he went over the side of the road into the Big Windy Creek drainage area and that’s when the two deputies from Jackson County went over the edge and they are tracking his footprints right now,” Josephine County Undersheriff Brian Anderson told KLAS-TV in Las Vegas, Nev., on Tuesday morning.
    Meanwhile, Kim’s wife and two young children, who were discovered the day before, were recovering in a hospital.
    Rescuers credited the “ping” signal of the couple’s mobile phone — an unlikely beacon in the wilderness — with helping them find the three family members.
    Trained dogs, horse patrols and a helicopter with heat-sensitive sensors were sent to join other helicopters, snowmobiles and foot patrols Tuesday for Kim of San Francisco. Trackers had followed his footprints until dark Monday night.
    Kim, a senior editor for CNET Networks, had left his wife, Kati, and their two young children in their frozen, snowbound car and set off into the wilderness to seek help, wearing only tennis shoes, a sweater and a jacket.
    Harsh conditions
    Search crews faced challenges, State Police Lt. Gregg Hastings said.
    “There are some cliffs they may have to go down to get down to the creek. And there’s still snow and ice, cold temperature, but they’ve been out all night and they plan to be out all day. And their hope is to find him today,” Hastings said on CBS’ “The Early Show.”
    Overnight temperatures in the region have been in the mid 20s to mid 30s. The National Weather Service predicted patchy fog in the valleys during the night with light wind.
    A helicopter crew spotted his wife, Kati Kim, 30, waving an umbrella Monday afternoon. She and her daughters Penelope, 4, and Sabine, 7 months, were flown to a hospital in Grants Pass and were in good condition.
    They were in very good condition Tuesday and Sabine was expected to be released from the hospital, said Linda Rankin, vice president for patient care at Three Rivers Community Hospital.
    Kati Kim might lose one toe because of the cold, her father, Dr. Phil Fleming, told The Associated Press on Tuesday as he and his wife, Sandy, awaited a flight to Oregon from Albuquerque, N.M. He said his daughter breast-fed the two children to keep them nourished during the ordeal and “the children are doing extraordinarily well.”
    “We’re relieved and we had some moments of joy,” Kati Kim’s father, Dr. Phil Fleming, said on “The Early Show.” “At this time I can only think and worry about the safety of my son-in-law, and from all I’ve heard he just is a heroic father. All my thoughts are with him and with the teams and all the people out searching for him.”
    The family said James Kim left the car stuck in the snow in southwestern Oregon at about 7:45 a.m. Saturday and walked back the way they had come to look for help, saying he would return by 1 p.m. if he found none.
    The San Francisco family reported that he had eaten berries in the area, but they weren’t sure if they were poisonous. His family said he had outdoor experience. Continued ..."
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16036886/
    PNP : WuDevious - Clan : Bloodline
    1ST Official PS3 Forums R:FOM Tourney Winner!
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Super Elite
    what does this have to do with PS3? If you want to post something that is not game related, do it in the General Chit Chat forum.

Elite Guru
    Yes, we read Digg and Slashdot... I live in Oregon, so I've seen it in the papers too... It's good news..

It is not PS3 news. Do not post stuff like this in the PS3 section again.

Superior Member
    Sorry about that, I did not know there was a general chit-chat forum. Please move then or delete.
    PNP : WuDevious - Clan : Bloodline
    1ST Official PS3 Forums R:FOM Tourney Winner!
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Thread Information