Master Guru

dead pixel information

does anyone have any information on dead pixels on a LCD tv? like how you can tell if its a dead pixel or not?

will a dead pixel remain the same colour no matter what angle you are viewing it from?

i have a black dot on my tv screen and it fades when i change the angle i am looking at it, and i am able to see the default colour of the pixel behind the dot e.g, the default blue colour. i think it is likely to be a bug or something but i just want to make sure. any help, thanks!
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Dedicated Member

Well dead pixels suck, but there is no way around it... It happens, and most of the time unless there are MANY and they are effecting the usability of hte device it is not covered under warrenty. Many displays actually say in their tech docs that they may have a 1-10 or whatever dead pixels...

Apprentice
    There is a video thing that is suppose to shock the pixels. I believe it can bring them back to life if they are stuck on a colour. Not sure if that is the same as dead or not.

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" with the MATE 1.6 desktop environment.
    Long live the Penguin!

Master Guru

ok thanks. im pretty sure its a bug as i can still see the blue background through it when i look at a different angle.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Elite Member
    Welcome to the amazing world of dead pixels
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

like.no.other
    There are various types of defects when it comes to pixels (and sub-pixels).

Dead: This is where you get a black dot - neither of the sub-pixels are lighting up.

Stuck (white): This is where you get a white dot - all of the sub-pixels are lighting up constantly.

Stuck (coloured): This most commonly shows as a red, green, or blue dot, depending on which sub-pixel is stuck on.

For the most part, once a faulty pixel, always a faulty pixel. It probably won't ever change "colour", and changing your viewing angle may well change the apearance of the dot. On higher resolution displays they can be less noticeable, but it also depends on where they are what state the pixel is in. Even if you have just one defective pixel, but it's in such a position and state that it spoils general viewing, you have a case for getting the unit replaced, regardless of what a maufacturers literature says.
    Phat boy gone slim!

Thread Information