Latest PSU headlines:

Thread: Sound Help!!!

Sound Help!!!

Ok...So i bought a Sony DAV-DZ120 surround sound. I have it connected to my TV by RCA. When I go into the sound settings on the PS3 to have it autodetect it still just picks up the TV speakers. Although, the sound comes through the surround speakers. I can tell it to use Linear (or whatever it is) 5.1 and it will work...Different sounds out of different speakers, but then when someone talks its like its far far away and you can't hear it..I just have to set the PS3 back to it's normal setting. What can I do to make it recognize digital 5.1. Also, here is a link to the surround system.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4810692

Thanks in advance for any help! Probably something simple but who knows..

Elite Guru
    you need to connect your ps3 via optical cable to the receiver. then you will get 5.1. is that a receiver it came with or dvd player?

Apprentice
    Sorry, it appears that the DAV-DZ120 doesn't accept optical signals. Sort of counterintuitive for a 5.1 system. Be sure that you have the proper audio output selected under "Audio Output Settings"
    >>"Audio Input Connector or AV MULTI"
    Also, consider connecting the PS3 directly to the surround receiver, then running the video to the TV (or pull the cables apart a bit to allow your video connection to run to the TV and the audio to run to the receiver, in order to get 480p or higher)

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Scabies View Post
    Sorry, it appears that the DAV-DZ120 doesnt accept optical signals. Sort of counterintuitive for a 5.1 system. Be sure that you have the proper audio output selected under "Audio Output Settings"
    >>"Audio Input Connector or AV MULTI"
    well if it doesnt accept optical or coax then there will be no digital 5.1.

It uses a dvd player instead of a standard receiver. Also, I have the video connected to my TV via HDMI,

like.no.other
    No optical or coax on a 5.1 system? Is this an end-of-line product or what?! Sounds to me like the best you can hope for is pseudo 5.1 surround sound. I'd take it back and get something else that has optical, and then buy an optical cable to go direct from the PS3 to the amp.
    Phat boy gone slim!

Can't take it back got it off of ebay It was so stupid of me not to read the description better...Everything I have now supports optical...EXCEPT for my sound system...TV, PS3...All optical

Ok so I found a little gadget that I think might work...As mentioned from my previous post my new Sony DAV-DZ120 Home Theater system for some unobvious reason does NOT support optical so I can't get true 5.1 surround on my PS3. The system I uses whats called "Embedded Surround." I done some research and now I hope someone can help. If I get a analog/digital audio converter which will let me input the rca's and output to optical...will this work? I do have an optical input on my TV as well..

Please give me an update on what you guys think! Thanks in advance.

Dedicated Member
    really silly to buy this for the PS3 without checking it can connect.

Still, I do kind of feel for you. Lucky it was so cheap.
    Dump it, sell it lose it and go out and buy something that has a use.

This time carefully think about what you buy BEFORE you buy it.

Super Elite
    Thats what you get for home theater in a box. It is better to build one from pieces then buy one of those things. Although it costs more, it elimates problems like this.

Im no audio expect but look for a receiver, you should be able to connect those speakers to them. Ive always wondered, what kind of wiring is connecting the speakers to the DVD player?

The thing with these things is the speakers are connected directly to the DVD player, so the speakers are like an extension for the DVD sound and anything connected to it, will sound washy or bad.

Anyways you can try different methods but the best bet is to invest in a good receiever if the speakers can connect to it. It will provide better sound and work better.

Quote Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
    Ok so I found a little gadget that I think might work...As mentioned from my previous post my new Sony DAV-DZ120 Home Theater system for some unobvious reason does NOT support optical so I can't get true 5.1 surround on my PS3. The system I uses whats called "Embedded Surround." I done some research and now I hope someone can help. If I get a analog/digital audio converter which will let me input the rca's and output to optical...will this work? I do have an optical input on my TV as well..

Please give me an update on what you guys think! Thanks in advance.
    Probably still a bad idea as the RCA jacks are only stereo to begin with, so no 5.1 there.

My only advice is to, as someone else said, ditch the system and get something else. I personally recommend one of the Yamaha "Home Theater in a Box" sets. You can get one fairly cheap at BestBuy and they come with a real receiver by Yamaha. Many also recomend the Onkyo, but they are a bit more expensive (and a bit harder to find).
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

My Setup:
    42" Westinghouse LVM-42W2 1080p LCD display
    Yamaha HTR-5860 Receiver (95W RMS per channel, 7.1 capable)
    PLAYSTATION 3 (60GB) via HDMI (TV) and optical cable (Receiver)
    Front Speakers: PSB Image 3LRs
    Rear Speakers: PSB Mighty Mites
    Center Speaker: PSB Century 100i
    Subwoofer: PSB 130W RMS 10" Powered subwoofer.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danman227460 View Post
    Thats what you get for home theater in a box. It is better to build one from pieces then buy one of those things. Although it costs more, it elimates problems like this.

Im no audio expect but look for a receiver, you should be able to connect those speakers to them. Ive always wondered, what kind of wiring is connecting the speakers to the DVD player?

The thing with these things is the speakers are connected directly to the DVD player, so the speakers are like an extension for the DVD sound and anything connected to it, will sound washy or bad.

Anyways you can try different methods but the best bet is to invest in a good receiever if the speakers can connect to it. It will provide better sound and work better.
    Statements liek this confirm that indeed you are no audio expert.

In a box home cinema can deliver stunning sound if you are able to pick the wheat from the chaff. The Sony DAV 500 for example punched well above its weight AND had a optical output which I used to connect to my PS2 & Xbox well before most people even knew it was there. Seperates are generally better but there is plenty of rubbish at the bottom end and an all in one system can offer good value for money.

Thread Information