Dedicated Member

MGS3 Substinence Preview

Between Germany's Game Convention and Konami's press event in San Francisco today, we're overflowing with new details on this expanded sequel. "Finally it is possible to battle with players online from around the world with Metal Gear Solid - while in the comfort of your own home," says series creator Hideo Kojima and corporate officer of Konami Corporation.
    Though much of the focus on Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence has been on the online portion, that's hardly all of the bonus content being worked in. The game will also feature the much demanded player-controlled camera system that will become standard in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 4. Also, Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake from the MSX 2 era, which have never been released here, will be included for fans to understand the series' roots.

That's not all, though; Duel Mode (fight against any boss) and Demo Theater (watch the cinematics and even enter "peep mode" with certain Eva shots) are unlocked upon completing the game a single time, and the team has included more scenarios with the monkeys from Ape Escape in Snake vs. Ape.

The trailers shown at each event contained plenty of Kojima's trademark humor and eye for detail. Some scenes featured soldiers lined up with Raikow/Raiden demonstrating various moves (such as saluting) the group would then repeat. Raikow/Raiden also strolled past a bunch of soldiers with a men's magazine in hand, causing the soldiers heads to track the magazine. It looked like you could also use the magazines as distractions in online multiplayer. You'd be a pretty stupid player if you'd fall for it, but then again, it all depends on the picture on the cover...

Another scene featured a group of soldiers using the cardboard box as a cover, which looked hilarious, and as a character ran and hid, the group covering under the cardboard boxes ran past, he put cardboard box on and silently slid into the group undetected. In yet another scene, a group of soldiers (probably using camouflage) looked like ghosts, surrounded another player. Spooky.

CQC was also evident during a cool looking knife-battle between Snake and Raikow, which became even more intense as other players formed a circle around the battling duo. Kojima also revealed various games modes: Death Match, Team Death Match, Rescue Mission, Capture Mission and Sneaking Mission. What can you expect from each of these modes? Check it:

Sneaking Mission - One player becomes Snake and attempts to steal something guarded by the other players.
    Team Death Match - After being divided into two teams, players take each other out while racing against the clock. Winners determined by total remaining lives.
    Death Match - A free-for-all match up with tweakable options for creating a time limit where the winner has the most kills.
    Capture Mission - Capture the flag. One team has to steal an object from the opposition's base and return to their own.
    The game supports up to eight players simultaneously, and several levels were revealed: Kill House, Ghost Factory, Mountain Top, City Under Siege, Small Forest, Abolition Factory, Graniny Gorki Labm Graniny Gorki Lab and Krasnogorje Mountain. Kojima said plenty more will be revealed, but don't expect surprises from previous games; the stages are either original or ripped from MGS3.

Each mode will feature up to five different mission settings. You can choose from are Ocelot Unit, GRU or the KGB. Players who have the best stats can opt to use the major characters of the game such as Ocelot. What stats are available and how they're determined, however, isn't yet known.

We can't wait to have some hands-on time with the online gameplay, but we're already wildly excited about the prospects. "With the continued growth of Metal Gear Solid, this online addition will bring a new way to enjoy and experience the gameplay world," says Kojima. "Please look forward to experiencing it." Who isn't?

looks very very sweet. Can't wait to get it

Veteran
    Me too, online play where be better then socom for me.

Master Poster
    OMG, this sounds amazing
    I cant wait for this to come out and now i can play the 2 that werent released here

The online play sounds amazing, and theres so many levels been revealed as well, and more to come!

Cant wait to see more on this, thats for sure
    I have no signature.
    No, really, i don't. You're just imagining this.

Veteran
    this is a hot game to play. just really happy they did this.

Dedicated Member
    I'll have to get a network adapter for my PS2 fist lol.

Master Poster
    Oh you should, online play is amazing, but just thinking of MGS online...*drools*
    I have no signature.
    No, really, i don't. You're just imagining this.

Dedicated Member
    Online on MGS??? GOTTA GET IT!!!

Sneaking Mission - One player becomes Snake and attempts to steal something guarded by the other players.
    ... they have read my mind!. Ive always wanter a gameplay type like this. Hopefully it will be done good and doesnt always end up with the defending team camping the finish line (or whatever you might call it)
    Working on a new sig...

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    This is hot. Nice work on MGS people who make it. I don't have online yet as that costs $59.00 still .

Apprentice

Subsistence is looking really cool. check out this trailer,

http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/m..._mgs3sub_j.asx

I'm also known as FFVIIkilla

Master Sage
    i dont know but didt this already come out for other systems like gamecube. it looks awsome right there.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

Power Member
    I just watched some video of this on the PSM dvd and it looks awesome for online. I can't wait for this, to bad its not out till March.

Forum Sage
    This looks like a really exciting game. I loved Metal Gear Solid's VR Missions add-on pack, and this looks like it will alleviate my need for a second VR Missions pack. I hope Raiden is included in the game so that I can cartwheel into online opponents!

Oh the fun to be had!

Lastfm id: RadioheadSnob

Power Member
    Well its not the Raiden from MGS2. So I don't believe he cartwheels in MGS3. I do know he grabs the mens balls however. Wonder what that is about?

Master Poster
    I'll be swapping my copy of MGS3 for this one. I'm more excited about the first two Metal Gears included in Subsistance. This will fill in previous gaps in the story, like the previous relationship between grey fox and Solid Snake in Zanzibar or possibly why Big Boss switched sides.

Elite Guru
    3 games in one, this is a must buy for me.

Elite Member
    Question, this has all 3 MGS games along with it right? If it does, I will buy it. Been trying the game on PC, and it just isn't the same really.

If it does, hope it comes out soon!

Master Poster
    Nope, it has the original two METAL GEAR series, and the third game from the METAL GEAR SOLID series. But this is good because not many people play the first games released on the NES and MSX2 around about 1987. If your one of those people who rubbish these old systems because of dated graphics, then the inclusion of Metal Gear 1&2 for Subsistance won't really excite. I'm sure looking forward to them though.

Thread Information