Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

Xbox360 Future Features of '07

With all the games coming out and the excitement for gamers to finally get their hands on the titles that they been wanting to play for awhile. It is easy to over look one of the most Coolest feature that will be apply to those games an a console IMO. That is Live Anywhere, this is one of the reason I think Forza 2 got pushed back to 07. With this HUGE update that we will be seeing in 07, it will bring new and innovative features to future games as well as expand on the existing one's.

Let's take Viva Pinata for an example. A lot of people in this forum who have the title, love it an I will be picking up a copy soon, but there is also a lot of people that don't get a enough time with their consoles. Just imagine being at work and trading pinata's from your cell phone!. Or monitoring your garden activities from your pc or cell phone. Being able to take that XBLA game on the go, knowing that no matter what platform you are on everything is connected from your gamer tag, friend list, Achievements, Gamer score,etc.

I think this is what will separate MS from the competition.

Here's a quick reminder of what's to come: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myol5k7qb_c
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Elite Guru
    You realize that almost no phones are Windows Mobile compatable, right?

I mean... it's a great concept and all, but it requires a lot of coordination and technological uniformity..

Actually, in Japan they already have some stuff like this in place... It's call Suica, and it's like a universal pass. You scan your cell phone like a key card to use the train or pay for fast food... which by the way... coolest thing ever, while I was in Japan I saw a girl in front of me at McDonald order and pay on her cell then pick it up at the counter. >_< Why can't we have that here...

Anyways. I'm pretty sure that for the entire life of the 360, Live Anywhere will be confined realistically to Vista PCs only.

Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JordanL View Post

I mean... it's a great concept and all, but it requires a lot of coordination and technological uniformity..

Actually, in Japan they already have some stuff like this in place... It's call Suica, and it's like a universal pass. You scan your cell phone like a key card to use the train or pay for fast food... which by the way... coolest thing ever, while I was in Japan I saw a girl in front of me at McDonald order and pay on her cell then pick it up at the counter. >_< Why can't we have that here...

Anyways. I'm pretty sure that for the entire life of the 360, Live Anywhere will be confined realistically to Vista PCs only.
    It doesn't have to windows mobile. It can also be Java base as well.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    It doesn't have to windows mobile. It can also be Java base as well.
    It has to have the framework for the Live Anywhere system. I can't imagine Microsoft writing Live Anywhere in Java after they spent so many billions of dollars creating .NET for the sole purpose of competing with Java.

Regardless, almost no phones allow you to run unsigned applications. The amount of coordination with phone companies and phone manufacturers that such a Live Anywhere implementation would take in order to actually reach a large market, i.e. the hundreds of millions of phones that are already bought, not the few million that might be bought next year, is enormous.

Microsoft might have "phone support" for Live Anywhere, but I very seriously doubt that it will be anything but a little feature on paper for this generation. Just like IPTV.

JoeBlow
    I like the idea of Live Anywhere on the PC for things like car modifications for Forza....it would be good if you could perform real time changes on the PC while driving around the track but I'm not getting into this Mobile Phone business.

Elite Guru

It has to have the framework for the Live Anywhere system. I can't imagine Microsoft writing Live Anywhere in Java after they spent so many billions of dollars creating .NET for the sole purpose of competing with Java.

Regardless, almost no phones allow you to run unsigned applications. The amount of coordination with phone companies and phone manufacturers that such a Live Anywhere implementation would take in order to actually reach a large market, i.e. the hundreds of millions of phones that are already bought, not the few million that might be bought next year, is enormous.

Microsoft might have "phone support" for Live Anywhere, but I very seriously doubt that it will be anything but a little feature on paper for this generation. Just like IPTV.
    Windows Vista and Windows Mobile, will move on to Java, S60 and possibly even Palm if they deem it worth their while. Microsoft obviously has the muscle to launch a service like this, and the features they demoed look quite entertaining and welcome, but we'll still be (pleasantly) surprised if they actually manage to pull it off. Keep on reading for screenshots and impressions.
    Well this says different buddy.

Master Poster

cant wait to see this happen.
    do you know when it will launch? spring 07 update i guess

Elite Sage
    Mobile phones seem to be moving faster than PCs at the moment.
    One minute theyre new, the next theyre ancient.
    I cant see myself playing live on a phone

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Well this says different buddy.
    It says it will move on Java, which still honestly astounds me.

Again though, I seriously doubt phone support will be anyhting but on paper.

Fishface
    i agree this was too much and like 0.002% of people will use this feature.

Superior Member

Its a nice feature but I can't see myself using this, ever. Unless there would be a game that would require you to stare at your screen 24/7, I.E real time strategy games that wouldn't stop even if you logged out. Then I would use my cell phone to check if someone is attacking me or not. Don't see any games like web based Strategy games coming out for Live so no use for me.

Xaor
    The problem with this is you need this and that and this and that and the other.

Forum Elder
    I really can't wait to play with PC gamers. That opens up a new world to gaming. I can't wait, I really can't. Live anywhere sounds like an awesome idea. Too bad Shadowrun looks like crap .

VERSA'S MOST ANTICIPATED GAMES OF 2008
    GTA IV DLC - Little Big Planet- Gears of War 2 - Too Human - Fable 2

Master Poster

i think some people are missing the point of live anywhere.
    you dont need to buy anything extra to use it(nothing i know of)
    its something on top of things you already have or will get, vista, java phones.
    the phone support will be used to trade gamercards and play some arcade games. I dont think they will be used to extend console games, maybe they will but i think the main gaming will be things like zuma or hexic, and classics like galaga and tetris.
    for pc gaming its with vista, and most likly you'll end up with a computer that has vista on it. this is were the cross platform gaming comes in and games for windows using your live account.

also cross console voice chat is awsome.

im excited to see that the new games for windows are using a 360 gamepad controlles along with mouse/keyboard.

im excited for it, i really think its going to be a huge thing in a years time. its good to see microsoft still pushing the limits of xbox live and trying to evolve the way we interact with games and our live community.

Mbbest

Maybe i dont get you, but that is possible in my poor country before 1-2 years, paying parking, food etc with cell phone, what is so cool with that?
    Its dumb.

Superior Member
    I think the 360 should open it's doors to more then PC Gamers, but to PS3 Gamers as well. But of course MS won't do that because they think they are so much better.
    But if there is a game that is on all those systems, take Unreal Tournament 2007 for example, then wouldn't you want to play with your friend who has a PS3 and PC?

Rune_74
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunt View Post
    I think the 360 should open it's doors to more then PC Gamers, but to PS3 Gamers as well. But of course MS won't do that because they think they are so much better.
    But if there is a game that is on all those systems, take Unreal Tournament 2007 for example, then wouldn't you want to play with your friend who has a PS3 and PC?

Thats a very uninformed comment. Sony would not allow this as well.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune_74 View Post
    Thats a very uninformed comment. Sony would not allow this as well.
    Why not? Sony aren't charging people to play games online ergo they're not trying to sell the ability to play games online like XBL.

Plus with UT07 supporting Keyboard and Mouse PC and PS3 gamers can pit against each other on an even playing field, it's really all down to if Epic wants to.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Superior Member
    Apart from one mobile operator mobile internet data tariffs are expensive as hell over here.

Rune_74
    Quote Originally Posted by Steroyd View Post
    Why not? Sony aren't charging people to play games online ergo they're not trying to sell the ability to play games online like XBL.

Plus with UT07 supporting Keyboard and Mouse PC and PS3 gamers can pit against each other on an even playing field, it's really all down to if Epic wants to.
    Because even though they do not charge to play online they do certify all games that get sold. These two companies are in direct competition.

And yes you can play against pc players over live as well.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune_74 View Post
    Because even though they do not charge to play online they do certify all games that get sold. These two companies are in direct competition.

And yes you can play against pc players over live as well.
    What does certification got to do with wether a PS3 owner plays against a Xbox 360 owner online?

Sony has been spouting an open online service since forever so devs can more or less do what they want on it, as long as they link up a universal ID at the very least.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Rune_74
    You show me where a dev said they wanted too but microsoft said no and sony yes. Anyways this is way off topic.

Live anywhere would be cool for games where you would want to do add on levels.

Elite Sage
    Was that directed at me?

That doesn't make sense.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Apprentice
    Splinter Cell Xbox 360 exclusive:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...e=wmv&id=15551

360 will Rule 07

Super Elite
    There are only a few things I would like like ability to play H264/x264 movies and free Xbox Live Gold with ads.
    We believe multiple SKUs just confuse consumers so we will just stick to one SKU....a year later... 20GB, 40GB (no BC), 60GB (US full BC, EU limited BC), 80GB, 160GB, more to come...

Thread Information