Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: HVD vs Blueray

LATENCY
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    HVD is too expensive right now. I wouldn't want to pay more than $10000 for a player and $60 for a movie..

:/

Lol no you fool its not coming out for consumer use right now, but im not wasting time on blueray because i know in 5 years it will be over shadowed.

Look im not saying blueray technology is crap, im saying it is not going to change the way you do things, it is not a revolution.

I mean it seems like most people are just buying the PS3 for the blueray.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by LATENCY View Post
    Lol no you fool its not coming out for consumer use right now, but im not wasting time on blueray because i know in 5 years it will be over shadowed.

Look im not saying blueray technology is crap, im saying it is not going to change the way you do things, it is not a revolution.

I mean it seems like most people are just buying the PS3 for the blueray.
    Uhh ye, not consumer use. IF it does come out, it will be MORE expensive for the fact that:
    1) Its new and requires special equipement
    2) 1 TB? Its ONLY use will be medium storage, I bet you will never see this in use for consumer products. 50-200 GB is good enough for me. For backing up, 1 TB sounds good.
    3) WHAT MOVIE INDUSTRY WILL SUPPORT THIS? They are already having problems with 50 GB discs that there is not ENOUGH content to fit on them. You want a 1 TB movie disc? Be more realistic.
    4) The cost of producing one of these for consumer use is not easy.

Some tidbits I pulled:
    Players are 15 000
    Discs are 120 now and expected to drop to 100 by 2010.
    The target is not for commercial use but more industrial use
    There is nothing sweeter than the embrace of death

bnolan56
    oh shut up latency, we understand your trolling but do you have to go on about hvd vs blu-ray? how can you compare something that isn't even out and wont be for the next 7-10 years? for now let us enjoy what we want to, im sick of listening to you complain how it aint goin anywhere and then supporting HD-DVD for now. Well i got news for ya jack, if blu-ray goes byebye because of HVD so does HD-DVD so get that through your head, mods please lock this thread, its unnecessary trolling and flaming

berklon
    I don't understand why people are touting Blu Ray's 100GB + capacity... current players on the market (including the PS3) will NOT play these discs - they aren't in the specs. BD50 is the maximum playable disc with the hardware available right now.

bnolan56
    ps3 has a built in blu-ray player berklon, all they do on other BD disc's is remake them with more storage capacity and code. its the exact same thing why would they put blu-ray players out then say oh sorry! here are the 200GB discs now you gotta buy another blu-ray player =\ thats retarded

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by berklon View Post
    I don't understand why people are touting Blu Ray's 100GB + capacity... current players on the market (including the PS3) will NOT play these discs - they aren't in the specs. BD50 is the maximum playable disc with the hardware available right now.
    Blu Ray is Blu Ray. I will go home, stick in a newer movie and my 10 year old DVD player will play it just fine. See what I mean? DVD9 is new, I have an older DVD player designed to play DVD5 or single layer discs. It can play double layer discs fine.

Same thing here, why would Sony release a product without insuring its FUTURE PROOF, including bigger BD discs? Its already got HDMI 1.3 and Dolby True HD audio which almost no product supports it.

bnolan56
    danman just ignore this, this thread is shot to crap when it was first posted, just more xbox360 trollers wanting to make a difference and pretend that hd-dvd is better and blu-ray sucks because hvd is coming out soon (which its not)

LATENCY
    Im not impressed with Blueray! and i still don't see why all of you are.

Ignoring movies!

Games need fast transfer speeds, so whats so great about a peak 9MB/s when its producing 1080i of visuals? 1920 x 1080 = 2.07 MP

Wii = 640 x 480 = 0.3 MP

The PS3 has to produce 7 times more of visual display then Wii. And the Wii has a 6MB/s transfer rate compared to the 9MB/s PS3. Remember textures have to be sharper and polygon count needs to be high.

Blueray is not something to celebrate about for the PS3.

I would be more greatful if it had a 16X dual layer DVD reader.
    The PS3 is cool but Blueray is not that amazing!

Super Elite
    I am now, time to go eat and forget about HVD and enjoy my Blu Ray PS3 .

Jibberish, its his opinion. If you ignore him, he will go away. Remember IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

The jist of his arugments are his opinion, just that. He doesn't like Blu Ray. Let him be.

bnolan56
    danman do you hear that sound? its the sound of him yelling at his computer becuase no one wants to listen to his nonsense.

Super Elite
    well we are still replying to this, so it would make him feel a bit better. Now where are my blu rays so I can burn them and start my HVD collection?

LATENCY
    Quote Originally Posted by danman227460 View Post
    I am now, time to go eat and forget about HVD and enjoy my Blu Ray PS3 .

Jibberish, its his opinion. If you ignore him, he will go away. Remember IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

The jist of his arugments are his opinion, just that. He doesn't like Blu Ray. Let him be.

Die hard blueray fans. lol bless you!

Im just being honest, transfer speed is the most important factor of game media.

The playstation 1 had a transfer speed of 2xCD = 300KB/s

The N64 had a transfer speed of 500Mb/s internally and about 10MB/s from the games.

There was no loading for the N64.

If The PS3 had a transfer speed of lets say 16MB/s i would not have created this blueray hate situation!

Xaor
    Latency, you are breaking hundreds of different rules.

If you'd put this in the technology discussion maybe it would have SOME merit!

Super Elite
    hey look hes still getting attention. I am a die hard Blu Ray fan. So what? Are you gonna arrest me for being a fan? I like to worry about what is NOW and not what is out there. I have read up on HVD and its potential but WHEN it comes out, I'll worry about it then. For now, Blu Ray is here and that is what Im gonna enjoy.

LATENCY
    Quote Originally Posted by danman227460 View Post
    hey look hes still getting attention. I am a die hard Blu Ray fan. So what? Are you gonna arrest me for being a fan? I like to worry about what is NOW and not what is out there. I have read up on HVD and its potential but WHEN it comes out, I'll worry about it then. For now, Blu Ray is here and that is what Im gonna enjoy.

This is the first realistic comment!

I respect that!

Im a child of the future, i once had a SCSI hard drive adapter with 2 SCSI drives to read at 640 MB/s (2 years ago). Currently (2006) SATA is at 300 MB/s.

Before i get excited about anything i need to know how it will change things.

If i put a blueray RW drive in my computer it will not do anything for me.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LATENCY View Post
    Die hard blueray fans. lol bless you!

Im just being honest, transfer speed is the most important factor of game media.

The playstation 1 had a transfer speed of 2xCD = 300KB/s

The N64 had a transfer speed of 500Mb/s internally and about 10MB/s from the games.

There was no loading for the N64.

If The PS3 had a transfer speed of lets say 16MB/s i would not have created this blueray hate situation!
    So if we are talking right now, and not 3-4 years in the future.

What would you choose, HD-DVD, DVD or Blu-ray?

In terms of technical specifications and potential Blu-ray > HD-DVD > DVD

Plus the harddrive in PS3 is faster than even HVD and a lot cheaper.

Forum Sage

I don't see any reason to leave this topic open. We can't do a HVD vs. Blu-ray because HVD might never make it to the market...and Blu-ray is already out for about half a year.

Thread Information