Page 434 of 513 FirstFirst ... 424434444 ... LastLast
Results 10,826 to 10,850 of 12823
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi: 8.5/10

If you love sushi and Japanese culture, this documentary is right up your alley, but even if you're into cooking, are taking a culinary arts course or want to open your own resturant, this is also the documentary for you. And generally if you're in a profession that requires decisions that require exisquite detail to mere perfection, this is also a documentary for you.

I loved the 60fps and time-lapse shots in this doc, it works so well when you time-lapse sushi chefs doing work! But this isn't just about how sushi is made, it's about the WORLD'S BEST SUSHI CHEF, Suyiyabashi Jiro. This man has had Anthony Bourdain and world renown French chef, Joel Robuchon commend him as the best in the world when it comes to sushi, and it this documentary documents him working on Sushi. It's like an art for him, a job he loves to do. He's a perfectionist and you can see it in this documentary. I have so much more respect for him after watching this. It's definitely on my bucket list of things to do or places to visit, Jiro's restaurant in Tokyo, Japan.

Not only do you see the passion, dedication and process, but you learn things just by watching. You learn that if you work your ass off in life and not just study hard and do what you're told, you'll be successful.

However, the only reasons this didn't get a perfect 10 is because some of the camera work is a little off, over-exposed in a lot (or could just be my TV monitor not being properly calibrated) of the shots and it's missing narration from the film-maker, though it's arguable whether it's needed or not. I think it makes it more authentic that it's completely just the chefs speaking Japanese with subtitles and no insight from the film-maker. Although, the intro could have worked a little better, but it's nice that it's nice that Jiro's biography is spread out throughout the movie and not just solely in the introduction, and it's also great that it's not only about him, but his work as a Sushi Chef.

You guys should definitely check this one out.

2. Likes Ernsty likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    A few full reviews for anyone inclined:

Skyfall
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Life of Pie

Update: So Dredd...

Last edited by RedDragon7; 01-06-2013 at 04:47.

4. Likes Ernsty likes this post
    PSU Editor, Writer, Idolmaster
    PSN ID
    LazerBlader
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi: 8.5/10
    Just an FYI for everyone, this is available on Netflix. It's been sitting on my Instant Queue for quite sometime now, hopefully I'll get a chance to watch it soon! Only heard good things from friends.

PlayStation Universe Editor & Writer
    411Mania.com Film Critic
    私は日本語が話せます。
    Follow me on Twitter @ErnstyLin

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition Trilogy: 10/10

It's hard for me to name a favourite and a least favourite when it comes to the trilogy, so I'll try to break them down in short summaries.

The Fellowship of the Ring: 9.5/10

Keep in mind, this is the extended edition, and there are parts that kind of dragged on a bit in the intro. I've never read the books, but it's pretty faithful to them according to some fans. Anyway, we start off with the first of three films. It kicks off the series to a wild start, by the end, making you want for more. The character intros are my favorite, and I love how we see the burden of the ring affect Frodo.

The Two Towers: 10/10

I loved the Two Towers. Not everyone liked it as much, but it's a damn fine sequel. It had the balance of action and drama and humor in less than 4 hours. This one prepares you even more for the conclusion to the trilogy.

The Return of the King: 9/10

Now, this one gave me the same reaction as when I saw it in theaters: Why didn't I get to see Sauran back on the battlefield and kicking ass?! And then I realized, these movies follow the book, so I guess this question goes to Tolkien. Why couldn't you write Sauran so he's ressurected? Even if the ring gets destroyed. I was a kid when I saw this trilogy and when I saw the title of the third movie, I was so excited. I immediately thought that I would get to see Sauran come back from the dead, and not just be a whispering eye. I was eagerly anticpating the fight between Sauran and Aragorn and it never happened, which is why this gets a 9 and not a perfect 10. Because of that. Now before you Lord fans get a temper tantrum, understand from my point of view. I was a preteen when I saw it, so I expected an ultimate battle between good and evil, kind of like Luke vs. Vader in Return. But I didn't get that. I will always remember not getting my present on Christmas.

So, aside from that personal con, I loved the rest of the movie. The cinematography is something else, and the New Zealand location was absolutely gorgoues, especially in that sequence where they activate the fire beacons across the middle-earth. Man, that was so beautiful. I loved the Minas Tirinth battle too, it was great. It's still memorable how Peter Jackson got WETA digital to get 100,000 orcs on screen. And then the character progression of Gollum, played by the talented Andy Serkis (who also did voice for the game Ensalved and is heavily involved in videogames). And again, being the extended edition, the ending dragged on for far too long. I kinda wish they cut it. But there's a reason there's two versions of the these trilogies. I ultimately think the Extended Edition is much better in terms of depth to story, character and anything else you think needed answering. I have no regrets.

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition is a superb blu-ray purchase. Not only is the sound amazing, but the picture quality is superb. They really did a fine job with the HD transfer on all 3 films, with the first two having the best transfer. Oh and they're all 4 hours in length. So, you gotta dedicate yourself to watching these over the course of 7 or 3 days, depending on your patience. And these movies are so large that each movie requires you to switch between two blu-ray discs LOL, that are both 50gb in size. Oh and 26 hours of special features too. Can't go wrong with that. This is essentially the holy grail of blu-ray purcahses, or at least one of the holy grails of bu-ray collections to have in your library.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Lethal Weapon -7.5/10- Commentary with Donner was funny and interesting.

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

El Presidente
    Enter the Dragon 8.5/10. I didn't feel as drawn into this movie as I thought. Plot as ok, action was good and I enjoyed watching. Would watch more Bruce Lee films.

Signs 9/10. I just happened to turn on the tv last night and remembered this was on. I wasn't sure what to expect but the story was really interesting and well put together. I think I expected it to be crummy with a cheesy story but this was well thought out.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    The Negotiator 9.25/10

Amazing Movie! Was extremely interesting until the end. Definitely one of my favourite movies now.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Lethal Weapon 2 -7/10-

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Lethal Weapon 3 -7.5/10-

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Lethal Weapon 4 -7.5/10-

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Spring Breakdown 9/10
    Awesome movie with Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, and Parker Posie
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom -8/10- PQ is very good on BR.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    Life of Pie
    lol

The Return of the King: 9/10

Now, this one gave me the same reaction as when I saw it in theaters: Why didn't I get to see Sauran back on the battlefield and kicking ass?! And then I realized, these movies follow the book, so I guess this question goes to Tolkien. Why couldn't you write Sauran so he's ressurected? Even if the ring gets destroyed. I was a kid when I saw this trilogy and when I saw the title of the third movie, I was so excited. I immediately thought that I would get to see Sauran come back from the dead, and not just be a whispering eye. I was eagerly anticpating the fight between Sauran and Aragorn and it never happened, which is why this gets a 9 and not a perfect 10. Because of that. Now before you Lord fans get a temper tantrum, understand from my point of view. I was a preteen when I saw it, so I expected an ultimate battle between good and evil, kind of like Luke vs. Vader in Return. But I didn't get that. I will always remember not getting my present on Christmas.
    To quote the book...

'Is Faramir come?' Denethor asked.

'No,' said Gandalf. 'But he still lived when I left him. Yet he is resolved to stay with the rearguard, lest the retreat over the Pelennor become a rout. He may, perhaps, hold his men together long enough, but I doubt it. He is pitted against a foe to great. For one has come that I feared.'

'Not the Dark Lord?' cried Pippin, forgetting his place in his terror.

Denethor laughed bitterly. 'Nay, not yet, Master Peregrin! He will not come save to triumph over me when all is won. He uses others as his weapons. So do all great lords, if they are wise, Master Halfling. Or why should I sit here in my tower and think, and watch, and wait, spending even my sons? For I can still wield a brand.'
    Basically, in the book, Sauron had a physical body, but was in a weakened state without the ring. He used his minions instead. Plus, his forces would have annihilated Middle-Earth if it wasn't for Frodo destroying the ring, which he never suspected at all. So he felt no need to risk himself.

As for the reason why Tolkien did this from a storytelling perspective, it's mainly because Sauron is seen as a growing shadow and threat. By not showing him, it makes him more of a 'presence' of evil rather than another bad guy. Also, the 'Eye of Sauron' was just a metaphor for his spies and influence throughout Middle-Earth. Not a flaming eye. So he's a quite a unique villain.

By having Sauron pop out at the end, it would not have made sense in the grand scheme of the story. We didn't get to know him at all. He would be reduced from a psychological fear to a generic bad guy.

16. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    35 shots of Rum 10/10

a french movie about a retired train driver and his daughter... He struggles to live with change and she is in love with the guy up stairs and in the movie the father actually drinks 35 shots of Rum and they struggle with each other
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    lol

To quote the book...

Basically, in the book, Sauron had a physical body, but was in a weakened state without the ring. He used his minions instead. Plus, his forces would have annihilated Middle-Earth if it wasn't for Frodo destroying the ring, which he never suspected at all. So he felt no need to risk himself.

As for the reason why Tolkien did this from a storytelling perspective, it's mainly because Sauron is seen as a growing shadow and threat. By not showing him, it makes him more of a 'presence' of evil rather than another bad guy. Also, the 'Eye of Sauron' was just a metaphor for his spies and influence throughout Middle-Earth. Not a flaming eye. So he's a quite a unique villain.

By having Sauron pop out at the end, it would not have made sense in the grand scheme of the story. We didn't get to know him at all. He would be reduced from a psychological fear to a generic bad guy.

Well, fair enough, in the end, it makes sense for him to be their fear rather than some generic bad guy...but damn, I really would have loved to see more of Sauron in his actual form, just like in the intro to Fellowship. He was so cool looking and badass with that mace. I just want a Sauran vs. Aragon fight, and let's assume this is just for fun, no story to it, just for show.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Well, fair enough, in the end, it makes sense for him to be their fear rather than some generic bad guy...but damn, I really would have loved to see more of Sauron in his actual form, just like in the intro to Fellowship. He was so cool looking and badass with that mace. I just want a Sauran vs. Aragon fight, and let's assume this is just for fun, no story to it, just for show.
    They were initially going to have Aragorn fight Sauron. They were going to have Sauron descend in his angelic form (which is how he originated before becoming corrupt) and then turn into his prologue form.

The fight Aragorn has with the troll at the end? That was his fight against Sauron. But they changed that to a troll instead later on.

Here is how the scene looked...

It would have been cool to see, no doubt. But it would have been a huge lore-breaker, especially since Sauron was no longer able to change into his angelic form.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Yeah, I read about Sauron on the LOTR wiki. He was a man before he was corrupted. They even had him in that form in a videogame for LOTR. Long black hair, the works. And apparently, there is even a darker master than Sauron, they say he will be present when the end of the world happens, or the end of all ages. It's kind of like a metaphor for the Rapture lol

Superior Member
    Lawless 8/10
    Pretty good movie. It's good to see Shia do something else besides a Transformers movie. Tom Hardy is top notch as always and it has a nice plot to it. It's a lot bloodier than I thought it was going to be but that didn't detract from the movie any.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Zero Dark Thirty - 9/10

Another one for my top 5. It's interesting to see the story behind this unbelievable manhunt, however I think the best and more powerful statement is the last 5 minutes. And no, it's not Bin Laden's death. Not directly anyway.

Full review
    Last edited by RedDragon7; 01-07-2013 at 10:25.

23. Likes Ernsty likes this post
    Veteran
    Watched the move 'Grown Ups' on tv last night.

Funny movie with some very popular actors. Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock to name a few.

I actually kinda liked it better the second time around, got a few nice laughs.

I'd give it like 7/10

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Flight

Oscar worthy performance from Denzel

9/10

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Yeah, I read about Sauron on the LOTR wiki. He was a man before he was corrupted. They even had him in that form in a videogame for LOTR. Long black hair, the works. And apparently, there is even a darker master than Sauron, they say he will be present when the end of the world happens, or the end of all ages. It's kind of like a metaphor for the Rapture lol
    Sauron wasn't a man. He was a 'Maiar', which is the equivalent of Angels in Tolkien's mythology.

The creator of Arda (the world where Middle-Earth takes place) was Eru (also known as Illuvator). With the creation of the world, he created god-like beings called the 'Valar'. One of these Valar was Morgoth, who was the 'darker master' you referred to. He was the strongest Valar and rebelled against the rest of them, as Satan did to God.

Morgoth was the main villain of Middle-Earth for the First Age, with battles often consisting of Morgoth duking it out with the entirety of the Valar and being able to hold his own. The battles would destroy parts of Arda in the process, which is why they decided not to intervene in Middle-Earth from then on.

Morgoth was eventually defeated and imprisoned in Valinor (which is basically the Mt. Olympus of Arda). Then his lieutenant, Sauron, continued his mission throughout the Second and Third Ages. Below the Valar are the Maiar. Sauron was one of these, as well as the five wizards and a number of other beings.

And yes, there is a prophecy that Morgoth will return and complete his mission, similar to Revelation in the Bible.

27. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Geeks!!

i kid, i love LOTR

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Geeks!!

i kid, i love LOTR
    Yeah, there's nothing geekier than discussing made up lore. lol

It's so interesting though! At least for me.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -8/10-

Thread Information