Latest PSU headlines:

Page 483 of 510 FirstFirst ... 473483493 ... LastLast
Results 12,051 to 12,075 of 12741
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    There aren't enough cliff notes in the world to bridge the gap to what the movie was missing. The cliff notes to get you up to speed would be reading the book. There's actually 8 books in the series... but they're vastly different from the original... one takes place way in the future, but not really... as it deals with the space-time continuum and light speed travel... which they completely neglected to mention in the movie...

They should've broken up the movie into two movies... or made the movie more than 2 hours.
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-03-2013 at 08:16.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    No movie adaptation will ever come really close... well a few could, but these massive epic novels have SO MUCH MORE in them that a movie could never touch. The LOTR movies were maybe half the books (even at 3-4 hours long), doesn't make them bad movies but point being you have to let go of a variety of things in the book.

Now with the brother and sister, obviously I haven't read the books so I don't really know, but from what I heard their stories don't connect directly to the main plot line of Ender and the military's resolve. Ok, it's "understanding" him, but for the most part they are not involved with the climax of the story. In film, that would come off as superfluous... Now, if you tell me they are connected and affect the climax then there's a solid argument.

Also, I do understand the the development and motives and so on. Although I don't know exactly what's being said in the cave scene at the end, I get the idea. People should be smart enough to figure it out at that point.

I know what it's like to want a movie to push more to have more of the source material, and to adapt better. So I understand where you're coming from, and my friends who read this book didn't hate it nearly as much as you did. But you're welcome to your opinion of course.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

Rate The Last Movie You've Seen

I know all that. The movie was just a horrific interpretation of the story for a book to screen adaptation. I could've made a better screenplay myself... and I mean that seriously... not with sarcasm. I understand time constraints and limitations, but the movie was pathetic. The acting was painful at times (there were good moments as well, though)... and they thought throwing a few lines verbatim from the book would make up for the large dump they took on the story.

It was just a terrible screenplay. I get why they simply left out the story of his siblings... but even with that taken out they did a bad job at portraying just Ender's portion of the story.

I did thoroughly enjoy seeing certain things on the big screen and the big finale had some pretty cool visual effects... but they really did not get the soul of the story whatsoever. There were many messages in the book regarding humanity and purpose and the film barely touched on any of them. They even quoted one of Ender's big lines at the beginning about loving his enemies and made it cheesy and retarded. Even with the material they worked with... they screwed it up.

I still enjoyed the movie for what it was... I just think if the project was handed to someone else it could've been done a lot better. This could've been one of the best sci fi movies in a very long time... and they had plenty of source material to work with... but they missed the mark.

I know I'm being very analytical... but this is actually just a tiny rant compared to what I could write about what's wrong with this film.

If I hadn't read the book... I would say the movie is a pretty average sci fi. Enjoyable, but not spectacular.
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-03-2013 at 12:28.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    The Conjuring - 5/10
    Weak sauce, it's so hard to find a decent horror flick these days.
    Nobody dies, no gore... meh

I saw the devil - 8/10
    Pretty sick film from korea about a serial killer and a cop taking revenge for the murder of his fiance.
    Lots of blood and brutal scenes. This film even upset me sometimes which is a good thing if you know what i mean.
    Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Monster's University 7.5/10
    I haven't seen the original monsters inc so I might have missed some cameos and throwbacks in this but it was very enjoyable

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Dredd - 9/10

I think it's really rather good. Great music, pretty lady to stare at throughout... good action.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron

I was pleasantly surprised by it, I'm a sucker for cheesy run-of-the-mill action flicks and this was no exception. Plus, it was beautifully shot, Urban provided the gruff, no nonsense approach needed for the Judge and the action was nearly deafening. Hope there's a sequel.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Don't think therw will be a sequel, it bombed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Well it was waaaaay better than that Stallone flick. But, I couldn't stand the artifacts in the conversion process of this movie. Did you see this on blu-ray? It's grainy beyond belief due to the terrible colour correction and/or export format. I have no idea what they did to it in post, but it didn't look as bad as it did on blu-ray.

And no, I won't accept that that look was supposed to be intentional.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    If I remember correctly it was an R5 that watched, didn't notice anything particularly adverse with the quality, obviously since it wasn't blu-ray. Warrior's the only film I've seen in HD that I thought looked a little too grainy for its own good.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Well I'm telling ya man, I saw Dredd on blu-ray, legit retail disc purchase from a friend and it looks terribly grainy. The blacks and even the colours. I don't remember it looking that bad in theatres..and this blu-ray release was distracting from the story.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    I watched it in hd on netflix and it looked good there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Master Guru
    Watched it on blu-ray myself, and definitely had some grainy moments, I find turning sharpness down helps grainy scenes.
    And there wasn't grainyness at cinema, and as you've said dre, it's not exactly the sort of film where grainy was a look they were going for.

Don't think I'll ever understand how some blu-rays end up looking like that.
    Last edited by darky89; 11-03-2013 at 21:59.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Man of Steel 9/10

One of the better Superman films. I never really understood why those 3 baddies were coming to earth in Superman 2.

15. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Man of Steel 9/10

One of the better Superman films. I never really understood why those 3 baddies were coming to earth in Superman 2.
    Finally some love for MoS. I don't really like superman but this movie was exactly what I want from a superman movie. Hyped for Bats vs Supes

17. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    On Demand the other night was The Ninth Gate with Johnny Depp and Frank Langella.
    Recommended. Quite british though.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Risemary's Baby

10/10... Down my alley of amazing weirdness

Love the story
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Risemary's Baby

10/10... Down my alley of amazing weirdness

Love the story
    Someone's watching film4.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Someone is the spying on me for the first time ;(

Yep, i would only watch the channel when great films are on it
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Someone is the spying on me for the first time ;(

Yep, i would only watch the channel when great films are on it
    For the first time? Awwwww, sweetie. I'm under your bed most nights <3

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I thought that was Mark Cerny and a PS4

But i am a lover not a spooker... Going to watch another of my favorite films

The Departed

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    I thought that was Mark Cerny and a PS4

But i am a lover not a spooker... Going to watch another of my favorite films

The Departed
    Have you seen Infernal Affairs?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Yes watched all of them, love how they all tie into each other

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post

I'm just gonna condense the message into a spoiler tagged section, but there's no actual spoiler for anyone else reading...
    I do have a hard time understanding your opinion in terms of you think the movie was terribly done, at very least you think the screenplay is terrible... yet you enjoyed the movie "for what it was"? So you don't hate the movie but you think it's elements are atrocious...?

As for the cave scene... what you said is almost exactly what I got without reading the book. I don't think the lines spoken in the boat scene were lame or cheesy but I would agree they had maybe less weight than they could have. And for me out of all the movie, the CGI would be the average thing.

Maybe if I had read the book I would agree with you more; I think you are close to the book and so the adaptation hit rock bottom. John Carter for me was a very average sci-fi film adaptation.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    Watched it on blu-ray myself, and definitely had some grainy moments, I find turning sharpness down helps grainy scenes.
    And there wasn't grainyness at cinema, and as you've said dre, it's not exactly the sort of film where grainy was a look they were going for.

Don't think I'll ever understand how some blu-rays end up looking like that.
    It might be a bad export or transfer. It looks like an h.264 file LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Finally some love for MoS. I don't really like superman but this movie was exactly what I want from a superman movie. Hyped for Bats vs Supes

Me too man. I really liked this one, after the crap that was Superman Returns where he doesn't even throw a punch.

And I loved the scene where

good, I'm glad fanboys are pissed

Thread Information