Latest PSU headlines:

Page 496 of 510 FirstFirst ... 486496506 ... LastLast
Results 12,376 to 12,400 of 12740
    Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Pacific Rim 6/10

Decent action film with great special effects, I just find the stereotypes tiresome even if it does void the drawn out character development the film would otherwise have.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Gremlins 2 (blu-ray).

Good sequel. Doesn's quite get as many classic and nostalgia points, in my book, as the first one. But the production quality feels a bit higher in this one. It's equally entertaining and fun as the first one, IMO.

6/10

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother (blu-ray).

It was the first time I watched this movie. Gene Wilders debut as a director. It really feels like a classic comedy should do. The humour is not all that different from the style that has made Mel Brooks famous. The cast is really good too, you get to see Marty Feldman, Madeline Kahn and Dom DeLuise among others. Really fun and entertaining, IMO.

7/10

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Gravity 8/10

Love this film, saw it in the cinema in 3d and It was pretty intense, it felt like more of an experience than a film because you were surrounded by darkness and It was so loud. You can't really recreate that at home unless you have a huge tv and full surround but turning the light off helps 😛

Anyway I do love this film, probably one of my favourites now, just been watching the special features and its insane what they went through to make it work.

This film took 4 years to edit, imagine that, 4 years.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Movie 43:

I don't even..what the $#@!ing $#@! did I just watch?

5. Likes Ernsty likes this post
    PSU Editor, Writer, Idolmaster
    PSN ID
    LazerBlader
    Bad Words

Been a while since I've visited this thread! Anyways, caught an advance screening of Jason Bateman's directorial debut, Bad Words. Solid comedy, funny throughout and does not overstay its welcome.

8/10

PlayStation Universe Editor & Writer
    411Mania.com Film Critic
    私は日本語が話せます。
    Follow me on Twitter @ErnstyLin

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Non-Stop: 7.5/10

This has what you would expect from a Liam Neeson action thriller. Fun, action packed mayhem with a crappy twist or villain. Unfortunately, all the build up lead to a weak twist that revealed a $#@!ty villain that was entirely unbelievable. Still managed to play on stereotypes, which was hilarious, but the villains were weak. Otherwise, Liam Neeson is amazing in it. He acts so good in a movie that doesn't require that much acting. He's an action star, an academy award winning action star. This movie definitely made me clench my asshole because I have a small fear of flying. So, I wouldn't want this movie playing as part of the in-flight entertainment package. No thank you! Although, it would definitely be a thrill. There were edge-of-your-seat moments on this and you do feel a real sense of panic, which I thank the directing for. Man, there was a moment where I put myself in that plane and holy $#@!, that was scary. Everytime I go on a plane, in the back of my mind, I always try to run scenarios in my head of what I would feel if this or this happened. $#@! that. This is an awesome action movie at 40,000 feet. Worth a watch for sure.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    Metallica - Through The Never

7/10

The performance and visuals get a solid 10. The side story featuring Mr Deehan isn't all that but it's still enjoyable.
    Squeezed some classics in there and quite impressed by the setlist.
    Haven't checked out disk two yet but I was disappointed with the exclusion of
    The Day That Never Comes
    All Nightmare Long
    and Seek and Destroy.

Very good performance though I'm entirely satisfied with my purchase!

PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I've been wanting to check out through the never.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Frozen - 8.75/10
    I just can't let it go

PSN ID
    LazerBlader
    300: Rise of an Empire

Advance showing of the sequel 300: Rise of an Empire last night. Pretty bad. Dumb, loud, without much of the guilty pleasure of the 1st. My roommate who saw it with me said, "It's like a holographic Pokemon card. Looks cool for a few seconds then you get bored."

4/10

Last advance screening of the week, Need for Speed, tonight with some friends including PSU Editor in Chief Kyle Prahl.

Seem like as this week of early showings goes on, the movies are getting dumber and dumber. Bad Words will probably be the best one out of the three I've seen.
    Last edited by Ernsty; 03-05-2014 at 21:24.

411Mania.com Film Critic
    私は日本語が話せます。

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Ernsty, how can I get in on these advance screenings tickets? I'm in film school. I thought this kind of thing would be an automatic perk.

Owning Mahowny: 8/10

If you're still in Philip Seymour Hoffman withdrawal, you should add to this the list. It's based on him and actual events in Toronto from 1980-82. This guy just kept getting in debt with loan sharks and tried to pay it off by having a gambling addiction in Atlantic City, but using bank loans and illegally signing off rich people's names onto loans. He got somewhere in the millions, and he was a good roll, but lost it all. It's an awesome little hidden gem and a nice change to see it here in Toronto, near where I live. It's no news that he can act, but he sold the role really well, of a gambling addict who uses people. Awesome writing all around, but it did feel a little repetitive, but slightly. Worth it to watch it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    Ernsty, how can I get in on these advance screenings tickets? I'm in film school. I thought this kind of thing would be an automatic perk.

Owning Mahowny: 8/10

If you're still in Philip Seymour Hoffman withdrawal, you should add to this the list. It's based on him and actual events in Toronto from 1980-82. This guy just kept getting in debt with loan sharks and tried to pay it off by having a gambling addiction in Atlantic City, but using bank loans and illegally signing off rich people's names onto loans. He got somewhere in the millions, and he was a good roll, but lost it all. It's an awesome little hidden gem and a nice change to see it here in Toronto, near where I live. It's no news that he can act, but he sold the role really well, of a gambling addict who uses people. Awesome writing all around, but it did feel a little repetitive, but slightly. Worth it to watch it.
    I'll have to add that on Netflix. Sounds good.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Up - 8/10. Finally watched it, heart-warming with some good laughs.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

15. Likes Ernsty likes this post
    PSN ID
    LazerBlader
    Need for Speed

Final advance screening of the week last night. Wow, not even close to as terrible as I was expecting and actually enjoyed it! Sure it's somewhat dumb and definitely silly at times, but the crew had fun with it. Aaron Paul made the best out of what he had to work with and the rest of the cast was fine. Appreciated the nice small nods to the games. Good mix of action and humor. I'd recommend it for a matinee.

(As with most 3D, Need for Speed's was post-converted I'm pretty sure as the effect seemed muted and not worth it.)

PSU Editor-in-Chief Kyle Prahl saw it with me and we're planning on working on a feature discussing more of our thoughts on it.

7 out of 10

I'm jealous you're in film school! Very cool. Sometimes I get them as press, a bunch of the times it's just from studio promotions, especially still living close to the university campus - random places or the student newspaper will get them from movie distributors and handout passes frequently.

411Mania.com Film Critic
    私は日本語が話せます。

17. Likes Shockwave likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernsty View Post
    Need for Speed

Final advance screening of the week last night. Wow, not even close to as terrible as I was expecting and actually enjoyed it! Sure it's somewhat dumb and definitely silly at times, but the crew had fun with it. Aaron Paul made the best out of what he had to work with and the rest of the cast was fine. Appreciated the nice small nods to the games. Good mix of action and humor. I'd recommend it for a matinee.

(As with most 3D, Need for Speed's was post-converted I'm pretty sure as the effect seemed muted and not worth it.)

PSU Editor-in-Chief Kyle Prahl saw it with me and we're planning on working on a feature discussing more of our thoughts on it.

7 out of 10

I'm jealous you're in film school! Very cool. Sometimes I get them as press, a bunch of the times it's just from studio promotions, especially still living close to the university campus - random places or the student newspaper will get them from movie distributors and handout passes frequently.

Then I guess you're in a good location because I'm a college campus and desperately try to be socially active. You would figure they would also give out advance tickets. But we did get RJ Mitte (Walter Jr.) from Breaking Bad to come here and do a few hours of interview with the student editor for the campus magazine.

19. Likes Ernsty likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    This is the End
    This movie was retarted stupid but I enjoyed lol
    8/10

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    Up - 8/10. Finally watched it, heart-warming with some good laughs.
    Dug the dog cracked me up

22. Likes Shockwave likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Frailty: 7/10

Another hidden gem and a directorial debut for Bill Paxton, who also stars in it. The writing is pretty amazing and the twist reveals itself slowly and in the shadows. And when you do find out, you're stunned. It's not a cop out or cheap cliche twist, but it's scary. The ending is scary and breaks normal hollywood rules. I mean, logic, you can throw out the door for some of the characters, but my god, that is a scary ending. Almost thought it was based on real events. I mean, I'm sure it does happen, but that ending. I'll never forget it. Just like Arlington Road. Matt can play an awesome villain. But it twists his character into making the audience think he's actually a good person, even though he is insane.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I've been wanting to check out through the never.
    Do it! It's brilliant, as I said if you're watching it for performance it's a solid 10. Stage production is amazing, works very well in 3D too!

PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Saving Mr. Banks - 9/10 ~ My nostalgic childhood ... the feels. Don't judge me.

Frozen - 9/10 ~ Everything was well done except some of the songs were rather cheesy... like... cheesier than usual for a Disney movie. They were ... rather painful, actually. The troll song comes to mind ... bleh.

I'm a Disney nerd... so my ratings are biased. ^_^
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-08-2014 at 03:48.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    A Clockwork Orange 9/10- Damn Kubrick could make some awesome movies. I've been on a kick of checking out some of the most controversial movies ever. So I figured I would check out the king in that department. Malcolm McDowell was amazing in this. Not to mention him playing the narrator was very cool. If your into odd movies definitely need to check this out. Still not my favorite Kubrick movie but it does give Full Metal Jacket a run for its money.

Any suggestions in the controversial category? I've got quite a few on my list but I'm open to any. Except A Serbian Film...$#@! that!
    Last edited by PS4freak; 03-08-2014 at 17:59.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Well, you'd have to see A Serbian Film, come on, that's the whole point of that category. Do it! I guess Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac would do well. It's up online on TPB if you use torrents. But make sure you have some tissues laying around.

The Internship: 6/10

Not sure what planet they live on, but a lot of the $#@! in this movie would not happen in real life. There's a two or three comedic moments, but then it turns into a light-hearted comedy, almost a rom com and suffers from trying to abuse the viewer with $#@!ty metaphors and messages on never to give up. And of course, Owen Wilson gives those speeches, because why not? He's already typecast from the start, they both are, but he is a bit more. It wasn't that great. Rose Byrne is incredibly hot though, my goodness.

And I'm not clear on the agenda, but it looks like the filmmaker is trying to appeal to the Millenial generation and bash it at the same time. He's literally saying we are all witty narcissists. That's cute.

I guess the only thing to like is that they got the social media aspect of it down to a tee. That was nice. And the end credits sequence was really nicely done.That's about it. Worth a download if you have a thing for Rose Byrne. Otherwise, no.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Well, you'd have to see A Serbian Film, come on, that's the whole point of that category. Do it! I guess Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac would do well. It's up online on TPB if you use torrents. But make sure you have some tissues laying around.

The Internship: 6/10

Not sure what planet they live on, but a lot of the $#@! in this movie would not happen in real life. There's a two or three comedic moments, but then it turns into a light-hearted comedy, almost a rom com and suffers from trying to abuse the viewer with $#@!ty metaphors and messages on never to give up. And of course, Owen Wilson gives those speeches, because why not? He's already typecast from the start, they both are, but he is a bit more. It wasn't that great. Rose Byrne is incredibly hot though, my goodness.

And I'm not clear on the agenda, but it looks like the filmmaker is trying to appeal to the Millenial generation and bash it at the same time. He's literally saying we are all witty narcissists. That's cute.

I guess the only thing to like is that they got the social media aspect of it down to a tee. That was nice. And the end credits sequence was really nicely done.That's about it. Worth a download if you have a thing for Rose Byrne. Otherwise, no.
    I can't rent it on Netflix so I'm not buying it either. There is one scene that I've read about that I don't think I could handle. Just watched A Sweet Movie...what a pile of $#@!! $#@!ing disturbing to say the least.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post

Any suggestions in the controversial category? I've got quite a few on my list but I'm open to any. Except A Serbian Film...$#@! that!
    Bambi.

That $#@! gave me nightmares

30. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Bambi.

That $#@! gave me nightmares

Lol

Thread Information