Latest PSU headlines:

Can I record TV on my PS3?

Can the PS3's HD be used to record television like a tivo? If so does this require an additional OS to be installed? Thanks in advance.

Forum Elder
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Unless you know how to hack your system.

Master Guru
    No, you are not able to do this yet... and I will say it again, yettttttt!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
    Can the PS3's HD be used to record television like a tivo? If so does this require an additional OS to be installed? Thanks in advance.
    There was an announcement by Sony within the last couple of days that said a tivo-like functionality will be added in a firmware upgrade 3Q 2007.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by PONG View Post
    There was an announcement by Sony within the last couple of days that said a tivo-like functionality will be added in a firmware upgrade 3Q 2007.
    It will most likely be done through a USB device that attaches to the PS3.

Apprentice
    Now thats better than ordering stuff off of the PS network ! -- like in xbox live where u can order tv shows an stuff , wen we can just record off the tv lol.
    Hopefully this actually happens !
    P . S . 3

With linux installed you could more than likely install mythtv (linux dvr software). Then all you need is a usb tuner and you're all set. Although setting up mythtv takes a bit of getting used to.

It would be better if recording tv was integrated into the xmb.

Apprentice

Q3 '07? I thought it was due as part of the March '07 "major" update? But yeah, either way, you'll probably want to get a large external hard drive for storage, plus, of course, the USB TV tuner. Cool, though.

My Setup - PS3 60 GB, Sony 55" SXRD HDTV w/1080p, Sony 7.1 Receiver w/ JBL Surround Package
    PSN ID: JadedRaverLA
    My PS3 / Blu-ray blog -- http://jadedraverla.spaces.live.com/

The Hedon
    Quote Originally Posted by andywhitto View Post
    Now thats better than ordering stuff off of the PS network ! -- like in xbox live where u can order tv shows an stuff , wen we can just record off the tv lol.

Well, you can use a 360 to record TV as well, so it's really a moot point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Papethova

No, the PS3 will never natively support this unless they release a TV Tuner add-on, or a paid Live TV Subscription service over the internet that allows you to record tv streaming from the internet.

At the moment, you can get USB TV Tuner cards with remote (including HD support) for just under a $100.

The Hedon
    delete. posted in error. sorry. Thanks.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameissean View Post
    With linux installed you could more than likely install mythtv (linux dvr software). Then all you need is a usb tuner and you're all set. Although setting up mythtv takes a bit of getting used to.

It would be better if recording tv was integrated into the xmb.
    Yes this would be your best bet instead of waiting untill Sony updates the PS3 to accept Tivo.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JadedRaverLA View Post
    Q3 '07? I thought it was due as part of the March '07 "major" update? But yeah, either way, you'll probably want to get a large external hard drive for storage, plus, of course, the USB TV tuner. Cool, though.
    This is what Phil Harrison said at a recent event:
    Firmware will be constantly updated, with the view of a tv tuner and tivo like service to be available in the 3rd quater of 2007.
    Link To Article

Batchild27
    At first the Tivo function was going to be an add on VIA USB port. But recently it has been annoucned that it will be a firmware thing. I heard also that they are having a patening problem, and the "networks" are worried that with the new Linux thing(the copying of dvd's) that their shows will be taped and sold without permission...like what torrents are doing for some movies. Just some food for thought

The Hedon
    Quote Originally Posted by Batchild27 View Post
    At first the Tivo function was going to be an add on VIA USB port. But recently it has been annoucned that it will be a firmware thing. I heard also that they are having a patening problem, and the "networks" are worried that with the new Linux thing(the copying of dvd's) that their shows will be taped and sold without permission...like what torrents are doing for some movies. Just some food for thought
    The only thing the firmware would do is enable the ability to connect a TV Tuner hardware device, or enable the ability to record TV over the internet through a subscription, and it would have to be streaming television. There would have to be some sort of monthly fee for the internet based television though.

A console (or PC for that matter) cannot record TV with out the required TV Tuner hardware.

Superior Member
    but u can go to video.google.com to download some free sdtv standardized stuff and watch it on the TV. I've been downloading Vietnamese movies for my mom and she loves the PS3 now!
    PS3/X360 ID -> HaomaruGold
    Everything you need to know about videos on PS3!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Member

A tivo-esque function, that would be sweet---as long as that tivo esque function isn't adding downloadable TV shows to the Playstation store.

I have a media center PC. I really should get a TV tuner card for it. I could either then watch the video through my 360 or burn it to DVD and watch it on the PS3.

Elite Member
    I hope any tv tuner will work and we won't be forced to buy a specific ps3 one.....

SONY has been allowing almost any device to connect to ps3 so I am guessing you will be able to buy any tv tuner and connect it via usb

PNP: dizzan

Most anticipated: Next Pes, Uncharted, 8 days, HS, Mario Gal, Alan Wake

The Hedon
    Quote Originally Posted by haomaru87 View Post
    but u can go to video.google.com to download some free sdtv standardized stuff and watch it on the TV. I've been downloading Vietnamese movies for my mom and she loves the PS3 now!
    Yeah? I'm still searching for Seasons 1 and 2 of "The Office" on the internet for "free"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by overthirtygamernj View Post
    A tivo-esque function, that would be sweet---as long as that tivo esque function isn't adding downloadable TV shows to the Playstation store.

I have a media center PC. I really should get a TV tuner card for it. I could either then watch the video through my 360 or burn it to DVD and watch it on the PS3.
    Here is one for $25 although I don't know about the quality: LINK

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedon View Post
    The only thing the firmware would do is enable the ability to connect a TV Tuner hardware device, or enable the ability to record TV over the internet through a subscription, and it would have to be streaming television. There would have to be some sort of monthly fee for the internet based television though.

A console (or PC for that matter) cannot record TV with out the required TV Tuner hardware.
    It's much more fun to argue with you, but obviously you're right here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedon View Post
    Yeah? I'm still searching for Seasons 1 and 2 of "The Office" on the internet for "free"
    Uh, bittorrent. They're very readily available -- awesome show, BTW.

My Setup - PS3 60 GB, Sony 55" SXRD HDTV w/1080p, Sony 7.1 Receiver w/ JBL Surround Package
    PSN ID: JadedRaverLA
    My PS3 / Blu-ray blog -- http://jadedraverla.spaces.live.com/

The Hedon
    Here is one for $25 although I don't know about the quality: LINK
    I recommend this one:

Hauppage 500 Dual Tuner

This is the one I have on my XP MCE 2005 machine, and it is also Vista supported. This way you can watch and record two different channels at the same time.

how would this be possible? you would have to connect the cable to the ps3, and i don't believe it has cable inputs...? unless you guys are talking about the USB device having these inputs, i guess i'm not too clear on that. i suppose that would be pretty sweet though...

Supreme Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'd like this however Australia's HD content sucks ass.
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
    how would this be possible? you would have to connect the cable to the ps3, and i don't believe it has cable inputs...? unless you guys are talking about the USB device having these inputs, i guess i'm not too clear on that. i suppose that would be pretty sweet though...
    Instead of connecting an USB tuner to the PS3 and an external hard drive, I think Sony is going to use the locationFree TV tuner and stream the video to the PS3 over the network, they already doing that with the PSP so I'm sure is very easy to do it on the PS3, and as far as hard drive, Sony may allow you to use the built-in, an external or network attach storage (NAS) or networked PC.

Of course, this is just my educated guess or prediction.

no not yet
    should be able to in the future

Thread Information