Apprentice

Got my PS3, Have a few problems

Im not sure if it is user error, or something wrong with the PS3, but i get a pink line and a greenline that scroll up the TV in 1/3 increments.

X
    X
    pink line
    X
    X
    Green Line
    X
    X

then it just rotates up the screen

x
    pinkline
    X
    X
    greenline
    X
    X
    X

ect.

It does it using both Green Blue Red Component calbes and just the regular 480i yellow component cable wire...
    She's MY sexbox and her name is Sony...

abc925
    Quote Originally Posted by Qdeathstar View Post
    Im not sure if it is user error, or something wrong with the PS3, but i get a pink line and a greenline that scroll up the TV in 1/3 increments.

X
    X
    pink line
    X
    X
    Green Line
    X
    X

then it just rotates up the screen

x
    pinkline
    X
    X
    greenline
    X
    X
    X

ect.

It does it using both Green Blue Red Component calbes and just the regular 480i yellow component cable wire...

I may be having a similar problem. Just received my PS3 today and upon connecting to my std definition tv (via both composite and s-video) I noticed some pretty severe "hum bars" slowly scrolling up the screen. (horizontal lines slowly scrolling up the screen at a steady and repeating pace)

I hooked this unit up just to test it prior to gift wrapping it for my son, so I first used the supplied composite cable. Noticed the "hum bars" and switched to my PS2 s-video cable, with the same results.

Next I tried plugging the PS3 directly into the wall, fearing the surge protector might be causing this "noise" on the screen. No luck.

Anyone have similar problems??? I'm concerned that this unit may have been damaged during shipping, and now some weakened internal solder joint might be picking up RF interference.

Thanks for any suggestions.

like.no.other
    It would be interesting to see if it did the same via HDMI, but I guess if you don't have access to a TV with HDMI, that's kinda' difficult! Have you tried it on a different TV?
    Phat boy gone slim!

Fishface
    why would you get the ps3 without a HDTV with HDMI???

next gen gaming is all about HD!

like.no.other
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishface View Post

Have you got a DVD player hooked up to your HDTV, with a big collection of DVD movies? Why? HDTVs are for HD only, none of this SD and upscaled rubbish...
    Phat boy gone slim!

You have a YUV cable or HDMI cable ?

Apprentice

With component cables, and your TV, will the best resolution be 480P? Make sure the PS3 is outputting that resolution and not trying to do 480i or 720P/1080i with the component.
    With the svideo or composite cable, it will only put out 480i, so check and see if it is using that resolution.

abc925
    Quote Originally Posted by abc925 View Post
    I may be having a similar problem. Just received my PS3 today and upon connecting to my std definition tv (via both composite and s-video) I noticed some pretty severe "hum bars" slowly scrolling up the screen. (horizontal lines slowly scrolling up the screen at a steady and repeating pace)

I hooked this unit up just to test it prior to gift wrapping it for my son, so I first used the supplied composite cable. Noticed the "hum bars" and switched to my PS2 s-video cable, with the same results.

Next I tried plugging the PS3 directly into the wall, fearing the surge protector might be causing this "noise" on the screen. No luck.

Anyone have similar problems??? I'm concerned that this unit may have been damaged during shipping, and now some weakened internal solder joint might be picking up RF interference.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions. Changed televisions and the problem disappeared. Strangely enough, the PS3 is the only device to have exhibited this problem on this particular television. Direct TV Tivo receiver, Sony DVD burner and Xbox 360, all connected to the same tv do not produce the hum bars....??? Albeit several are connected via component cables, the receiver uses s-video and does not produce the distortion or noise.

Possible that the PS3 is picking up electrical noise that the other devices are not....I guess. Either way, problem solved by moving to different tv. Thanks again.

And to the other poster....yes, an hdtv is in the works, but when I switch, I'm going all the way. DTV HD-DVR receiver, Denon AVR-4306, Pioneer Pure Vision, etc. Still savin' pennies..... In the mean time, the kid's gonna have to tough it out playing Resistance in std def...

Master Poster
    i think somehow the composite or svideo from ps3 producing some sort of noise, it could be because the grounding is not good enough, or the metal shield form ps3 supposed to reduce any rf interference from unit itself is not good enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ishimaru Kaito
    all i did was plugg the cord in the back of my Tv, it worked

Superior Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Changed televisions and the problem disappeared. Strangely enough, the PS3 is the only device to have exhibited this problem on this particular television. Direct TV Tivo receiver, Sony DVD burner and Xbox 360, all connected to the same tv do not produce the hum bars....??? Albeit several are connected via component cables, the receiver uses s-video and does not produce the distortion or noise.

Possible that the PS3 is picking up electrical noise that the other devices are not....I guess. Either way, problem solved by moving to different tv. Thanks again.

And to the other poster....yes, an hdtv is in the works, but when I switch, I'm going all the way. DTV HD-DVR receiver, Denon AVR-4306, Pioneer Pure Vision, etc. Still savin' pennies..... In the mean time, the kid's gonna have to tough it out playing Resistance in std def...
    Its Kaz Hirai's way of saying: "GET AN HDTV!!!" XD (no flame intended)

Play B3yond

Apprentice

I bought the TV before i bought the PS3, and unlike you people who get all your money from you daddy's i dont have money to plant ANOTHER 1000 more dollars on a new tv every year.

It's a projection HDTV w/ DVI but no HDMI and it only displays 1080i.

I have a DVD player, but i read before posting someone was having "interferance problems" so i unplugged it, and im still having the same problem. Im gonna try a different TV today. It was at 11pm last night, and the ps3 aint the easiest thing to move around if you know what i mean.

The Red/Green/Blue component cables display 1080i, atleast they did with ridge racer and the XMB
    She's MY sexbox and her name is Sony...

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Qdeathstar View Post
    I bought the TV before i bought the PS3, and unlike you people who get all your money from you daddy's i dont have money to plant ANOTHER 1000 more dollars on a new tv every year.

It's a projection HDTV w/ DVI but no HDMI and it only displays 1080i.

I have a DVD player, but i read before posting someone was having "interferance problems" so i unplugged it, and im still having the same problem. Im gonna try a different TV today. It was at 11pm last night, and the ps3 aint the easiest thing to move around if you know what i mean.

The Red/Green/Blue component cables display 1080i, atleast they did with ridge racer and the XMB
    I paid for mine, my father lives in another town and I make more than he does.
    It sounds as if there is some sort of resolution discrepancy between the PS3 and your TV. Double check your TV's settings and that it is not trying to convert 1080i to 480i, or something else.

Apprentice

Dude, not everyone is as loaded with money as you, and not everyone can afford to just buy accessories based on buying a CONSOLE.

Now that I said that, yes PS3 is beautiful on HDTV w/ HDMI!!

Superior Member

Because mayb we dont have the money to buy an hdtv with the price of next-gen gaming. Or your parents just wont let you use it in the family room.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I got my 60 - 12/07/06
    PSN ID: Maddog911 - Warhawk, NCAA Football 08, RFOM, MLB 2K7, FNR 3, and Spiderman 3
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: Maddogg720

Fishface
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Have you got a DVD player hooked up to your HDTV, with a big collection of DVD movies? Why? HDTVs are for HD only, none of this SD and upscaled rubbish...
    i HD DVD player so.......

Stupid Git
    It's probably interference from the other devices connected to the TV. Try removing all other stuff from the TV's inputs, so only the PS3 is connected to it.

Supreme Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    HDTVs are for HD only, none of this SD and upscaled rubbish...
    I disagree, we still live in a world where there is SD movies and TV shows...
    I'd hardly call upscaled DVD's @ 720p rubbish, it looks good and gives your current DVD collection a little more longlivity.
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Apprentice
    I had a similar problem with my TV and PS3. I found out it was a grounding issue. The cable needs to be ungrounded and it should work fine.

Apprentice

You sir are amazing!
    Surprsing your kid with this at x-mas.
    Just awesome!
    Member of the PSWii60 club.

PSN: divinedookie

Super Elite
    Ok guys if this hasn't be answered, this is the cause and I believe the solution

Your problem is interference. Analog signals can get messed up easily, if you use HDMI, this will not exist. The main problem seems to be with people who have CABLE BOXES.

Your solution: get a surge protector with COAXIAL inputs. Feed the cable from the box into that and from the surge protector into the TV. That should fix it.

Let me know if it does or does not.
    There is nothing sweeter than the embrace of death

22. Likes Canadian25 likes this post

Quote Originally Posted by cypherkin View Post
    Dude, not everyone is as loaded with money as you, and not everyone can afford to just buy accessories based on buying a CONSOLE.

Now that I said that, yes PS3 is beautiful on HDTV w/ HDMI!!
    I had to settle for HD via component on an RCA 27" HDTV. Does 1080i, but everything looks better in 720P. Not too bad for $348, which doesnt exactly break the bank.
    PS3 60GB - 27" HDTV
    NFS:Carbon-RFOM-Blazing Angels: SoWW2-THP8-Motorstorm
    PSNID: JustAddWater

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by danman227460 View Post
    Ok guys if this hasn't be answered, this is the cause and I believe the solution

Your problem is interference. Analog signals can get messed up easily, if you use HDMI, this will not exist. The main problem seems to be with people who have CABLE BOXES.

Your solution: get a surge protector with COAXIAL inputs. Feed the cable from the box into that and from the surge protector into the TV. That should fix it.

Let me know if it does or does not.
    Thank you so much for posting this, I had the exact same problem and I never thought to unplug my cable from the back of the tv. I thought there was something wrong with my ps3. So as soon as I read this, I went and unplugged the coax cable and sure enough the lines went away

Quote Originally Posted by Colin20 View Post
    The cable needs to be ungrounded and it should work fine.
    That noise indicates the cable is not properly earthed. It may even be grounded - incorrectly and in violation of safety standards. A cable must be earthed to the same ground used by AC mains and telephone. Otherwise the video sees voltages differences on those two incoming wires as a signal that you call noise - those bars.

That earth ground is not ony essential to protecting human life. It is also critically important for protecting transistors. Those bars are a 'canary in the coalmine'. Today they indicate a wiring problem. Tomorrow, hardware damage. Get the required earth grounds restored or installed. Then later disconnect any illegal grounds such to water pipes. Water pipes must have only on ground connection to the AC electric panel.

Thread Information