Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

Memory Card Adapter

Has anyone tried out the PS2 memory card adapter now that it is available? Does the adapter essentially treat the PS2 card like it is another hard drive connected by USB, or is there a special way to transfer the memory? I was also wondering if it had any other uses (hopefully) than just a one-time product. Yes they seem like pointless questions, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
    Jared
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Power Member
    Yes I have it and yes it does.

It will appear in the memory card section once you connect it and clicking on it will ask if you want to transfer. And no, at this time its not used for anything else. I feel jipped for $23 bucks

Forum Elder
    Hey thanks for the help, and can't you just return it (aside from the ethical perspective)?
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    Hey thanks for the help, and can't you just return it (aside from the ethical perspective)?
    I could, but sadly I would feel bad doing it. lol

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    I have one and it's a waste of money to be honest. Once you transfer all of your existing PS2 data to your PS3's HDD, it's pretty much paper weight at that point.

Basically, you create a virtual memory card unit on the PS3s HDD (you can create as many as you want). If you choose to create a virtual 8MB (for PS2) memory card, you'll get 8MB of space to use. You can then save games to that VMC assuming you have it set to slot 1. The adapter isn't needed for such a scenario.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    XSpike_SpiegelC
    Items PS3 Fat
    well....you cant forget about the new AAA titles coming out for the PS2 such as God of War......you will need it till all the AAA titles quit coming to the PS2....unles A) you still have a PS2.....but then you wouldnt need the adapter or B) you just have sworn off PS2 games

I have one and it's lame.

$15 for a tiny little box that plugs into the usb cable that came with the ps3.

It allows you to copy an entire 8mb(ps2) or (psone) memory card onto the ps3 hdd as a virtual memory card.

It is a one way operation. You can NOT ever copy your saves from the ps3 to a memory card.

You can however copy saves from the ps3 hdd to usb external storage devices.

I would recommend chipping in on one with friends to share. You will only need it once, and for about 5 minutes.

Oh by the way, you dont need it to save ps2 games on the ps3. It is JUST for moving your old saves onto the HDD.

Apprentice

I have it and I'm happy we have this option available because I'm still playing gt4 and a few other ps2 games that i would hate not to be able to get my saves for.

Unfortunately if the save is encrypted it can't be copied over

Elite Member
    im gonna buy one used off ebay

then just go to eb and sell it for store credit

Need a Sig?
    PM ME

Apprentice

I bought one and I will admit that I took it back. They didn't even ask why. Hopefully Santa won't get a hold of this information as I might not get anything for Christmas. Next please search before you create a thread. there is about 14 give or take 5 threads about this already. Merry PS3mas (Christmas)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]-----
    ------------------------------------------
    BACK TO BACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!
    2006 & 2007 NCAA BASEBALL!

Apprentice

I have one and use it more then I thought I would. I download a ps2 game save burn it to cd boot it up in my ps2 xfr the save from the cd to the memory card and then xfr the saves from the memory card to the ps3. This allows me to use those action reply saves and what not

Superior Member
    If I am desperate for one, which I doubt, I will borrow one from a friend when they get desperate.

Zetsumei
    I would had bought one if I didn't trade in my ps2 memory card at ebgames...

Superior Member
    Yea ill just chip in with my friends. (Even though im the only one with a ps3 ) They'll have to get use out of it later when they actually get one. One more thing. How long did Microsoft stop making games for XBOX and make them for 360. I want God of War 2 to be for PS3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I got my 60 - 12/07/06
    PSN ID: Maddog911 - Warhawk, NCAA Football 08, RFOM, MLB 2K7, FNR 3, and Spiderman 3
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: Maddogg720

well....you cant forget about the new AAA titles coming out for the PS2 such as God of War
    You dont need it to save the game though, you just need it to transfer saves from your old ps2 memory card to your ps3 that way you dont need to start all over again.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by $#@!lley View Post
    I bought one and I will admit that I took it back. They didn't even ask why. Hopefully Santa won't get a hold of this information as I might not get anything for Christmas. Next please search before you create a thread. there is about 14 give or take 5 threads about this already. Merry PS3mas (Christmas)

I did search. If you haven't noticed, the search on this site isn't the greatest. I searched for "memory card adapter" and got every thread that contained the term "memory card." I searched "memory card" and got the same results. Do me a favor and please find me a search that works. I'm serious and not kidding as I, too, agree that extra threads are a waste of time, but often they are unavoidable.
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

i feel like getting one of those

My initial impression is that if you have a PS2 memory card >8MB, (I have a 64MB) the PS3 does not recognize it when connected via the memory card adpater - anyone else see this?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by spaulhus View Post
    My initial impression is that if you have a PS2 memory card >8MB, (I have a 64MB) the PS3 does not recognize it when connected via the memory card adpater - anyone else see this?
    from what I have heard and seen on this forum, it only recognizes the 8 mb memory cards. I have the 8 mb one and didnt have any problems. You might have to pick up a 8 mb one and slowly transfer everything to it to get it to work on your PS3.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]-----
    ------------------------------------------
    BACK TO BACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!
    2006 & 2007 NCAA BASEBALL!

Apprentice

I have a 60 GB PS3....do I need this adapter?

Apprentice
    Yes. You do need the adapter for the 60 gig.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mun_316 View Post
    Yes. You do need the adapter for the 60 gig.
    Thanks I'll go get one this afternoon.

BadAndy
    Im afraid to use it. After playing PS2 games on my PS3, the graphics, as was known, were actually worse. Thus I see no reason to transfer them over until a solution, if any, is found.

Superior Member

Anybody in Canada know what stores carry this?

Superior Member
    Are there any alternatives to this? I have tried Action Replay Max and the disc won't load on PS3 so unless there's an update which fixes that, which I doubt there will be for there very reason, I think we're stuck with buying the adapter. Screw it, I'm not buying that thing. I really hope blockbuster gets smart and rents these things out. They could make a killing on them.
    AIM: mavsman4457
    PNP: mavman4457
    Why my PNP has no S after mav? Basically, I'm dumb.
    Current Games: NBA 2K7 and NBA Street Homecourt

Thread Information