Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Drifting tips?

Dedicated Member

Drifting tips?

anybody get pretty good at drifting yet? post how you do it, cuz i suck, lol.

Superior Member
    I don't get it, either. Hmmm...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My photography site: Here !- New pictures just added!
    FORZA FERRARI AND
    FAREWELL TO THE GREAT MICHAEL SCHUMACHER!

Superior Member
    Practice makes perfect. I know that isn't what you're looking for but it's true. Just know the course and when to hit the brakes and what angle to turn at. It's really fun once you get the hang of it and you pull off a perfect drift.
    AIM: mavsman4457
    PNP: mavman4457
    Why my PNP has no S after mav? Basically, I'm dumb.
    Current Games: NBA 2K7 and NBA Street Homecourt

Dedicated Member
    well what about things like... which break do you use? do you let off the accelerator to break? which tires? what level traction control? thanks!

Elite Guru
    Try not to hit the wall

Superior Member
    I just use level 10 TCS setting and the default tires but I should definately try fidgetting with those because they could help out or maybe even hurt. As for the break I use, the normal break, square. Using circle gives you a really controlless skid that won't help you much but makes a loud noise. When I hit the break I do indeed let off the accelerator. Hope that helps. Also, now that I think about it, it might not really matter what TCS setting and tires you use as long as you adjust to it, I'm not sure though.
    AIM: mavsman4457
    PNP: mavman4457
    Why my PNP has no S after mav? Basically, I'm dumb.
    Current Games: NBA 2K7 and NBA Street Homecourt

Superior Member
    I'm kinda getting the hang of it now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My photography site: Here !- New pictures just added!
    FORZA FERRARI AND
    FAREWELL TO THE GREAT MICHAEL SCHUMACHER!

Terikan
    The main thing wrong with this game is how you have to hammer the brakes and slow to a crawl around every turn. That type of gameplay is really only going to appeal to a small crowd. People play racing games so they can go fast.

Apprentice
    If you watch the best replays, you'll notice that the top guys are always going really slowly. So don't think that you need to set a fast lap--just take it easy and be intentional about your drifts.

Apprentice
    well to get a faster lap turn on the active control system to help u not skid and put on Racing R2 tires.

Then around corners brake and gas. Practice does makes perfect

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by mavsman4457 View Post
    I just use level 10 TCS setting and the default tires but I should definately try fidgetting with those because they could help out or maybe even hurt. As for the break I use, the normal break, square. Using circle gives you a really controlless skid that won't help you much but makes a loud noise. When I hit the break I do indeed let off the accelerator. Hope that helps. Also, now that I think about it, it might not really matter what TCS setting and tires you use as long as you adjust to it, I'm not sure though.
    It would really help you if you took that traction control down, like to 0-2. It will help your car slip more, making it easy for you to drift. But you have to be very careful about how fast you enter a turn and how much you counter steer.With a very low traction control setting you can enter a turn pretty slow and still make it into a great drift.

Low traction also gets you a much faster track time in time trial. Traction slows your car down SO much in turns its not even funny. I stopped using any traction control on cars a LONG time ago. The only cars that get even some traction control setting are very powerful tail happy cars.

I think one of the big tricks to drifting is having a soft touch on the joy sticks. You can't slam it to the left or right, you have to ease it lightly at the correct angle.

Also, it helps to not be going 100 mph coming into a 180 degree turn. So slow down a ways before you even get into the curve. I'm no expert yet, but those are two things I have found to help.

Jon

Dedicated Member

Why are the analog triggers not used for gas and brake, like in Motorstorm. I much prefer that by about a million times over using the buttons.

I can't drift for the life of me, as with the more powerful cars, I'm either crawling around the corners, or smashing into them.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why are the analog triggers not used for gas and brake, like in Motorstorm. I much prefer that by about a million times over using the buttons.

I can't drift for the life of me, as with the more powerful cars, I'm either crawling around the corners, or smashing into them.

I think you can actually change the controls in the demo, I remember seeing an option for it.

I actually prefer the normal controls, I have become used to it and I believe it helps execute your decisions in a much quicker manner.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkswordsman View Post
    I think you can actually change the controls in the demo, I remember seeing an option for it.

I actually prefer the normal controls, I have become used to it and I believe it helps execute your decisions in a much quicker manner.
    Thanks I found them, and getting so so results from the difference. I was getting used to using the buttons, that I now have to adjust for the triggers.

Super Elite
    If anyone needs help with driftung with a Front-Wheel drive car, do this:

Use tires that grip less on the rear wheels and tires that grip more on the front wheels. Traction should be set to 0 or 1 and the stability management should be off. This is what I used on the Honda Integra Type-R:
    Stability Management: off
    TCS: 1
    Front Tires: R3
    Rear Tires: R2
    This setup made drifting in the RSX much easier than before.
    (This is told to you in the demo instructions by the way)

Super Elite

PSN ID
    chainclutch
    rear wheelcars are easier to drift with then front wheel drive cars like a Intrega. in real life i dont even know how people drift with front wheel drift cars unless you contantly hold down the E-brake in order for the rear tires to loss grip.

for rear wheel cars turn off ASM and TCS. and use tires that dont have alot of grip(R3 have the most grip). then you want to make a fast quick turn to the opposite direction FIRST.. then quickly turn back into the turn.. this will make the car "swing" .. after that its literally all a matter of THROTTLE CONTROL!!!! hardcore. its similar to racing rallying in GT4 which it took me a very very long time to master.

Xaor
    If you've played rallying games, thats a real help... Its a similar style of driving.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieDZ View Post
    rear wheelcars are easier to drift with then front wheel drive cars like a Intrega. in real life i dont even know how people drift with front wheel drift cars unless you contantly hold down the E-brake in order for the rear tires to loss grip.

for rear wheel cars turn off ASM and TCS. and use tires that dont have alot of grip(R3 have the most grip). then you want to make a fast quick turn to the opposite direction FIRST.. then quickly turn back into the turn.. this will make the car "swing" .. after that its literally all a matter of THROTTLE CONTROL!!!! hardcore. its similar to racing rallying in GT4 which it took me a very very long time to master.
    so what your saying is you turn in the opposite direction your turning in first, then you turn the way you want to go and push the gas- for REAR WHEAL cars. but I haven't seen any rear wheel cars in the GT demo....

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FIREKNIGHT2029
    You need to turn off ASM, lower the TCS and change your tires. I can't remember exactly but you need R2 front tires and S3 rear tires. Also you need to use a FR car. I haven't played today but as of yesterday I was at rank no.9 with the modded Infiniti G35.

look for the ones that say "FR" that means front engine rear wheel drive.

i can get abut 6000 points, easiest car for me is the toyota rally car (non tuner version) and r2 tires all the way around

hmm

turn off the ASM and TCS, i use R1 tyres, but it doesnt matter, give each one a try and see which set you like the best.

There is 3 methods to get drifting, brake, gas and handbrake (or ebrake for u american people )

Don't be worried about speed in the beginning, as you get better your speed will get better.

ummm its hard to explain but basicly you need to shift the weight on the car, you can do this by

1. entering the turn fast (faster than normal) brake late and turn in and control with the gas and the angle of turn

2.enter the turn wide, hit the ebrake and turn in, then counter and control with gas

its abit hard to explain...

if i could somehow get my replays onto the net, it would be easier to explain

if i remember right i'm rank 1 for the lotus, and around 3/4 mark for afew others

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow26 View Post
    so what your saying is you turn in the opposite direction your turning in first, then you turn the way you want to go and push the gas- for REAR WHEAL cars. but I haven't seen any rear wheel cars in the GT demo....
    Yes, you quickly turn in the opposite direction to set yourself up for the drift.
    If it says FR, it means that it is a rear wheel drive car. You can actually feel which is front and rear, go out and drive the Eunos and then the Integra: you will feel a world of difference.

I actually prefer rear-wheel drive cars over front-wheel drive cars because front-wheel cars tend to heavily understeer. Rear-wheel drive cars really oversteer, which is easier to control IMO.

Elite Member
    30th in the world right here :P

Anyways how I do it is I turn of stability and TCS.

You brake until the point, make it to almost the apex, then accellerate to full throttle. You will have to countersteer and then finish the turn by letting go of acceleration for a bit until you think you have control, and then press it again (this came naturally for me). For Drift Trial mode set your back tires to R1. For Time Trial set both to R3. You should be able to drift just as well with R3 tyres, and make sure you have more grip in the front than back.

You HAVE to turn of stability and TCS. I learned alot by watching some of the non-cheat demos. I'm still within two seconds of the time though. I'm not as good at drift trial though.
    PSN ID: solinent | I accept all friend requests! |
    *insert generic quote about the ps3 taking over including bold for maximum effect (colors and size changes also apply)*

Quote Originally Posted by Terikan View Post
    The main thing wrong with this game is how you have to hammer the brakes and slow to a crawl around every turn. That type of gameplay is really only going to appeal to a small crowd. People play racing games so they can go fast.

I think you should get the award for the most ignorant quote of the year.

Anyways they way I do it is try to grip it for a few laps and you will notice the rear end to get loose every once in a while and then you will be able to get it more loose and control it better, this also helps you learn the limits of the car. pretty much learn how to get constant 120.00's and you should get a feel for how to get it sideways, practice makes perfect.

Thread Information