PS3 Home theatre help?

If i have my PS3 connected to my TV through HDMI can i still use the optical audio cable and plug it straight in to my receever. I have a Yamaha 5.1 surround sound home theatre and it does not have HDMI input so i cant directly route it through. IF Doing this digital optical wire thing with HDMI together is not possible is there any HDMI to component converters or something??

Forum Sage
    Yes, I think you can, just set the audio output setting in the PS3 to optical.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to give my country."-CPT Hale
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell

Dedicated Member
    If your receiver is fairly new, you should have the right port for the optical audio cable. This is probably the best idea, because otherwise you have to run the audio through the TV and then to the receiver which could cause some awkward setups.

If you don't have the right port, you can just make sure your TV is outputting all audio to the receiver, and the HDMI cable to the TV should work fine.

so i can have the HDMI plugged directly into my TV for the video and the opitcal cablle plugged into my reciever and the PS3 will send the audio to the surround ?

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by XCLuSiVeSTiLo View Post
    so i can have the HDMI plugged directly into my TV for the video and the opitcal cablle plugged into my reciever and the PS3 will send the audio to the surround ?
    You have to tell it to via the settings menu but yes it will.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell

Superior Member

Yeah, it will be no problem to have it connected up that way. Many people do this because most people don't have HDMI switching receivers just yet.
    United States Air Force Enlisted E-5

REFLEX
    From personal expereince I would highly reccomend getting a HDMI reciever.... if you can! Optical and stuff is great and its totally fine. But if youd like to fully take advantage of the 7.1 channels of sound from many games and blu-ray discs/hd dvd - then your gonna want a hdmi reciever. I watched Terminator last night on Blu-ray and I picked the Uncompressed PCM track and it blew us away... such awesome sound.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post
    From personal expereince I would highly reccomend getting a HDMI reciever.... if you can! Optical and stuff is great and its totally fine. But if youd like to fully take advantage of the 7.1 channels of sound from many games and blu-ray discs/hd dvd - then your gonna want a hdmi reciever. I watched Terminator last night on Blu-ray and I picked the Uncompressed PCM track and it blew us away... such awesome sound.
    They don't have receivers that accept HDMI 1.3 yet do they? I would hold out to get a new one in till then so that you can get the true sound that you are meant to hear.

home theater question

yes you can hook both hdmi and optical cables up you just have to go into the ps3 settings and make sure that you select both hdmi for video and optical for audio thats how i set mine up and it works great on my 80 inch dlp with 7.1 surround reciever

Thread Information