Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Playstation Store downloads slow?

Just got a PS3 the other day and downloading from the Playstation Store was a real slow painful experience.
    For instance downloading the 1.32 firmware took about 2hours and Motorstorm was equally slow.
    And my friend who also got a PS3 was able to download much faster than I was.
    First I tought it was because my friends ISP have their own akamai caching server, but it didnt seem logical because my ISP should be able to access it to, maybe a bit slower since they dont have their own, but still.
    So I started to fiddle around with the network settings and Eureka (good show by the way) turning of UPNP worked as a charm, so if your router does not support UPNP or you got it turned off on the router, then turn it off on the PS3 to and you should get a very decent speed downloading from the PSN store.
    When doing the internet test, the PS3 detected my routers NAT to be off type 3, in case that has an inpact.

I just got to 95% of GT HG concept while writing this post on my 26mbps broadband link.

i also downloaded GTHD, motorstorm and F1 and it took no longer than 10 mins for each

im in the uk with am 8mb ADSL connection

Apprentice
    It should take you that long for the updates to download. It took me like 15 minutes to download the updates.

videl
    i think it is not slow, i have 6mb and it is as fast as it should be, everytime i use it.

Superior Member
    mines slow too.i was thinking that if the cable is split between the modem and tv would that make a difference.Also would a router matter?

Master Poster
    I would think at peak hours, downloads would be slower then usual. I have not had any REALLY slow downloads though. GT HD took me the longest and that was because EVERYONE was trying to download it...

Sony SXRD VPL-VW50 w/ 100" Da-lite Fixed Screen

Sony KDL-55XBR8, Samsung BDP-3600 BR Player, Black Cloud 160GB & X Box 360 Elite

Although the downloads are slightly slower than my pc dl's they are not too bad. seems to be a consistent 150kbps-200kbps. It generally takes between 5-8 minutes for a demo to download. Not too bad although it would be nice if you could play games while downloading. I usually just switch over to TV and let it dl in the background. All in all it could be better but its not terrible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WWW.DHNY.NET
    PINAJIAN

Superior Member
    mine only took about 5-7 mins check your connection

I don't think a download ever exceeded 10 minutes for me. Are downloads slow on your PC?
    PSN ID: GunnerSarge

Proud owner of a shiny new 60 GB PS3!!!

Dedicated Member
    Mine depends greatly on the time of the day. At late night and early morning I can download 200MB files in a few minutes. Around peak hours it takes over an hour.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miketuck3r View Post
    i also downloaded GTHD, motorstorm and F1 and it took no longer than 10 mins for each

im in the uk with am 8mb ADSL connection
    What network you using? i got 288kbps but when i ever download something it says that its going at a speed of 100kbps. im also paying 15 ea month...

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazz View Post
    mines slow too.i was thinking that if the cable is split between the modem and tv would that make a difference.Also would a router matter?
    With a cable connection you run into one serious problem which is why I don't have it. With cable the bandwidth is split between your TV and your modem, but also between every one else on the same line. So if your whole street is watching cable TV and online, it slows down a lot. And also if the updates are taking to long, you can download it from your PC and put it on any external media (flash drive, portable hard drive, SD card and so forth).
    "I only regret that I have but one life to give my country."-CPT Hale
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell

Man... some of you are downloading the 650mb demos through the Playstation store on your PS3 in 10 minutes? How? I've already disabled the UPNP... whatever that does.

I've got a cable connection that is always smokin fast, but the PS3 seems to download slowly. An 80mb HD trailer took 30min on the PS3. Downloaded on my computer it would take just a few minutes. What gives?

it would be nice to be able to connect online

Aah, I found it. I turned on "Interface Robustness" in my wireless options and now it's way faster. I must've had some interference.

i have cable and its only split into my tv/internet...pc can download 1mb/sec...ps3 took 2.5hrs just to download 70% of the gtHD demo...what gives?

Master Sage
    Downloads take for ever for me but thats about it, except for GT HD because the servers were completely full at the time lol. Also i bought blast factor and for some reason it downloaded twice as fast as the demo version.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

Superior Member
    Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router 2.4 GHz 54mbps. This is my router im connected using wired ethernet and i don't know if it supports UPNP. Help plz!

Edit: Yes my downloads are verrrrrrry slow. Nvm figured it out.

mine d/l speed is ok D
    but ps store takes long time to load :sleep:

PS3 Online ID: paikia-US / FNS-Jap

anjiru0009
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketehps3 View Post
    Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router 2.4 GHz 54mbps. This is my router im connected using wired ethernet and i don't know if it supports UPNP. Help plz!

Edit: Yes my downloads are verrrrrrry slow. Nvm figured it out.
    How come your download speed is so high?!?!!!

Damn I have cable and I get

AlaskaGrown

Great tip!

This is a fantastic tip. Was trying to d/l GT HD and it was taking forever, so I stumbled across this thread, disabled UPnP on both my router (D-Link 524) and the PS3, restarted the download and it's already up to 18%! Cheers to the OP!

Quote Originally Posted by anjiru0009 View Post
    How come your download speed is so high?!?!!!
    his connection for his local area network is 54mb, not his internet (WAN) connection. My LAN speed is 100mb over Ethernet, and 54mb over Wi-Fi. My DSL connection is 1.5mb, and i get download speed of about 150-165kb/s

Apprentice
    guys, i got my ps3 on sunday and downloaded the motorstorm demo and it took me ten minutes top....but since yesterday till now all my downloads are ridiculously slow....it literaly takes 5 mins to download 1% of a demo (GTHD, F1, GENJI)..I tries them all and all respond the same...and i have a really fast internet..i got the fios with 30mb so thats not the problem...can anyone tell me why this is happening???

Elite Member
    i use a cable modem and connection speed are always fast. the only time they are kinda slow is if im downloading stuff on my computer at the same time

Bucco
    I'm having troubles w/ the PSN Store also. Here is my speed in the sig. Is this avg?

p.s. any idea where the PSN Servers are located so I can ping near that area?

Thread Information