Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Bucco
    Bump TTT no love here?

It took me about 20 mins last night for GTHD download

Anyone familiar with Linksys WRT54G wireless router? Do I have UPnP and how do I disable it? I'm networkingly disabled.

As of last night, Gripshift, 140ish MB download ~ 2 hours to DL :/

Own: R&CF:ToD, R:FOM, Madden 08, Tiger 08, Orange Box, MGS4, Warhawk, Uncharted, COD4, GTA4
    Want: R:FOM2, FFXIII, FFvXIII, Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, End War, Bioshock, R&CF:Q4B, GoW3

Superior Member
    When I downloaded GT on Wireless was ab out 30 minutes

hardwired was about 4 minutes....

I found my problem but then again I don't like running wires 50 feet across the house

My problem is, I've disabled my UPnP on the PS3 and it's still downloading slow as ever. Now, minor networking question.

I have a router in my computer room which is a good 35 feet away from my PS3. Now, I have a phone jack near my PS3 could I run a hardline from the open wall jack with a DSL filter and still have it work or must my ethernet cable come from my router?

Own: R&CF:ToD, R:FOM, Madden 08, Tiger 08, Orange Box, MGS4, Warhawk, Uncharted, COD4, GTA4
    Want: R:FOM2, FFXIII, FFvXIII, Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, End War, Bioshock, R&CF:Q4B, GoW3

Master Sage
    The ps3 only supports ethernet i think but ive never used DSL so i wouldnt know what type of connection they use, if its a ordinary phone line liek the ones you plug into the phone then no it wont work. Also its best that you go through the router because if you use a new connection your IP will read it as two connections and charge you extra, thats why routers are so great for having internet throughout your house.

Also another tip from me is to wake up early in the morning and do it before leaving for work or whatever, because i got on in the morning the past couple days and no one is on at all, yes that exagerated, but its not as many people as throughout the day. This makes the servers more free and allows faster download speeds.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

Forum Elder
    ok, what does UPnP mean?
    i might try doing this but i need to know what it means first.

BigD08
    I don't have a clue on all of this but mine downloads slow. If someone could walk me through this step by step and were I need to look and what to do when I get there.

seriously, the ps3 store is also rediculously slow. I have a very fast connection on the PC. I've already disabled UnPnp on the ps3 and the router. any other ideas? I have a Linksys WRT54G router with Thibor firmware.

Forum Guru
    Mine has never been slow for downloads..I have atteched a TV, 360,PS3, and 2 PC's with the cable
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.darkoctave.com/spazart.html
    I got my 60'' Sony SXRD XBR2 and loving it!
    Our 360 died 2/1/07...got it again....then died..got it again...then died...got it again...sold it for an Elite...it died...fixed it.(?)

Bl@ck M@gic
    I have the Linksys WRT54G wireless router which is 802.11g, 54mbps.

I haven't got my PS3 yet but do use my PSP online. So could someone tell me the best settings to have on my router so that d/l demo's on the PS3 will be the quickest. Thanks.

I DL Genji demo in around 15 minutes. 54mbps - linksys router. I didn't have to change any settings.

So my downloads are slow as heck too and check out my Speedtest

Not to shabby, so something else is going on here. I have the Dlink Gaming Router DGL-4300 with gamefuel too.

Apprentice

If possible connect your PS3 directly to your broadband connection, to see wether your router is the problem or not.

If you are connecting your PS3 to a router through a wireless link, then you should test with a wired connection, to make sure its no a bad wireless link that is the problem.

If it works better wired, then you can keep it wired Or try to improve the signal path between the PS3 and the wireless router, mainly by moving the position of the PS3 and router around and see if it improves.
    Look for a firmware upgrade for your router it might contain improvements that will help.
    There are many things that can impact a wireless link, noise from other radio sources in the same frequency area, like the wireless phones, leaky microwave ovens and no line of sight between the PS3 and the router.
    If you got other units also connecting to the router at the same time, try to turn them of to see if that helps.

Now if its slow with wired also, then you can try to turn off UPNP on the PS3.
    Information on UPNP you can find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp
    Wether your router supports UPNP or not, you need to check the userguide that came with your router or maybe its listed on the router manufactors website. As a sidenote some routers may support UPNP, but could have bugs in their UPNP code.

If you are on DSL you can try to change MTU setting to 1492 to see if that helps, it should atleast help people on DSL with PPPoE if the PS3 fails to automatically detect the proper MTU setting.
    In general it is set to 1500, but sometimes we need to lower it to smooth the transmission a bit.

You can also experiment with the Ethernet data transfer rate and operation mode. Some ethernet chips just doesn't like each other enough to work reliably on the auto setting.
    Check your router to see what speeds it supports on its port, the common stuff should be:

10mbps
    10mbps
    100mbps
    1000mbps

Setup the PS3 to use what your router supports.

When you do a connection test on the PS3, you should get a NAT type result (http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...nnecttest.html)
    Ideally you should atleast have Type 2 to avoid know issues and still have a router running. There are 3 types

Quote Originally Posted by From the PS3 userguide
    NAT Type* Displays how the PS3 system is connected to the Internet. Can be helpful in determining connectivity with other PS3 systems when using voice / video chat or the communication features of games.

Type 1: Connected directly to the Internet
    Type 2: Connected to the Internet via a router
    Type 3: Connected to the Internet via a router. Depending on the network environment it may not be possible to connect to other PS3 systems. Voice / video chat and the communication features of games are restricted.
    There could also be that you are hitting the network at peak hours and that is an issue.

Superior Member
    ^Mine says nat type 3. Is this why voice chat doesn't work for me?

My router supports Upnp and I enabling it or disabling it makes no difference, the PS3 still says no Upnp. I think that is interesting as the check box is right there in my Dlink setup.

Anyone know about support of Super G or turbo settings?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by iliketehps3 View Post
    ^Mine says nat type 3. Is this why voice chat doesn't work for me?
    According to the userguide from Sony, yes, that is the issue.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ucsdgemini View Post
    My router supports Upnp and I enabling it or disabling it makes no difference, the PS3 still says no Upnp. I think that is interesting as the check box is right there in my Dlink setup.

Anyone know about support of Super G or turbo settings?
    As I mentioned, it could be an issue with the UPNP support on your router.
    Super G/Turbo settings is usually specific to the vendor, ie it only works with other products from the same (chipset) vendor.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPT View Post
    According to the userguide from Sony, yes, that is the issue.
    So how do i make it nat type 1 or 2?

Apprentice

To get NAT 1 you must connect your PS3 directly to your broadband connection, ie bypassing your router. Usually that is not a very good idea security wise, so I would not recommend you do that.

The problem is that all routers are not equal, you need to get a router actually shows up as Type 2 when you do the test. This is because all vendors have their own tricks when they create NAT functionality in their routers.
    Sorry, I cant give you a better advice, but maybe somebody should start compiling a list of routers that works?

My router is a ZyXEL ZyWALL 5, with UPNP enabled I get Type 2, with UPNP disabled I get Type 3 from the internet connection test.

There are actually some instances (very few) that its your ISP that is doing something funky with NAT, but this is generally the exception and not the rule and I doubt you'll get an ISP to confirm it anyway

Server errors with PS3 Downloads

Just wondering if anyone has run into the problem of multiple server errors occuring when one tries to download content from the Playstation store. I have been able to d/l (wired connection) without troubles at certain times but other times such as last night I ran into numerous server errors disconnections when trying to d/l Lemmings full version and the G/t HD. Any reply would be helpful -

Dedicated Member
    generally it reports nat type 3 if you dont have the required ports forwarded to your ps3. This is something UPNP does automatically for you, otherwise you have to open them up yourself, or you can always add your ps3 to DMZ in your router.
    Playstation Network ID - LordFarquaad

Setup - HLS5087W, Denon AVR987, Sound Dynamics Loudspeakers, Paradigm Sub

Apprentice

Downloads

I was looking for a Thread like this. I was trying to download Gran Turismo HD and it took me 45 minutes to get through 30% of it. Does it matter how many people are in the store that will slow down the downloading process?

Elite Sage
    Items Final Fantasy XAuronNaughty DogFirefox LogoAppleBlizzardPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    My downloading seems to get slower and slower. It takes me about an hour for 100 MB. so Tekken would take me what, 8-9 hours?

A God Amongst Men
    OMG DUDE DAMN, I'm using this crappy router that doesn't even work with my 360 but the PS3 stayed the same it takes me about 15 mins to dl a 800MB file or above, what kind of internet do you have?

Thread Information