Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMelillo57 View Post
    I was looking for a Thread like this. I was trying to download Gran Turismo HD and it took me 45 minutes to get through 30% of it. Does it matter how many people are in the store that will slow down the downloading process?
    yes. The day tekken releases in the US, you can bet that it will take a lot longer to download then a few days later.
    Playstation Network ID - LordFarquaad

Setup - HLS5087W, Denon AVR987, Sound Dynamics Loudspeakers, Paradigm Sub

ashacat
    Hello!!

This is my first post so please don't flame me!!

I want to download demo games and stuff for my PS3. Do I have to click on the Playstation Store icon on the start up scren to do this? Or do I need to visit a Sony website via the web browser?

I know its a crap question, but I can't be sure because when I am unable to visit the Playstation store by clicking the icon, it just keeps timing out...

Superior Member
    Mines nice and speedy, I share my internet connection with my PC, by plugging into one of the 2 LAN ports.

I have a 10mb cable line and I'm in the UK.

Chances are however that when I download stuff most Americans are at work and most Japanese are in bed, so there's probably very few people on the store.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashacat View Post
    Hello!!

This is my first post so please don't flame me!!

I want to download demo games and stuff for my PS3. Do I have to click on the Playstation Store icon on the start up scren to do this? Or do I need to visit a Sony website via the web browser?

I know its a crap question, but I can't be sure because when I am unable to visit the Playstation store by clicking the icon, it just keeps timing out...
    use the playstation store icon

Azure
    Guys... UPNP is universal plug and play, it might not have too much relevance to a PS3 but if it is a router setting you probably want it set to ON as AFAIR it controls a lot of annoying port and NAT settings that can and does adversely affect online gaming.

I have been posting in another thread, but nobody had a solution to the problem. I contacted Sony and they were unable to solve the problem either. Below is an email that I sent to Sony stating that the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Email to Sony:

I seem to be having a problem with the connection speeds on the PS3. I have tried with two different PS3s (one 20gb and one 60gb), and I'm having the same problem.

When I run a speed test on my computer, the speeds are 8+ mbps. However, when I run the same test on the PS3, I get speeds of about 700kbps. Also the ping speeds on the PS3 are 500+ ms compared to the 50 ms ping speeds on my computer. This results in poor performance while trying to play games online and also long download times when trying to download game demos.

I have tried to bypass my router and plug the PS3 directly into the cable modem, but it did not have any effect. I have tried with wired and wireless connections, but the speed is the same. I have tried to reconfigure the settings on the PS3 and disabled the extra stuff (like UPnP), but the speeds have not changed.

I was able to get faster connection speeds by installing a proxy server on my computer and having the PS3 connect through my computer. The download speeds were faster this way, but it did not have any effect on the ping speeds. Also, I would rather not have to keep the computer on all the time.

I have contacted Comcast and they checked my connection and told me that everything was OK and told me that I should contact you for further assistance. I am using a D-link DI-524 router and a Motorola SB-5100 cable modem.

when using the wireless (which is why I bought the 60 in the first place) my connection speed is only as good as medium speed dsl (1.6kbps) when I try the same test with my laptop in the same room as the PS3 i get 3.3kbps. I have tried setting the DMZ, and even port forwarding but nothing seems to work. I have 90% connection to my router upstairs. I am using a netgear wgr614 v6, with WPK encryption. Turning off the encryption didn't seem to help either. Would a faster router make any difference? I am trying to hold off until they approve the N standard but come on - 1.5 hours to download motorstorm!? The patch for RFOM took 10 minutes. Currently I have not connected directly to the modem because that a pain in the a$$ to unhook but if this doesn't improve I might try tomorrow.

Anyway - any suggestions for this issue? Netgear was no help. BTW my PS2 works perfect with my current setup.

Apprentice

Stim are you on PPPoE, if so you could try to tweak the MTU setting of the PS3, try to set it on manual and then 1492 bytes.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by KILLR_KLOWN View Post
    Anyway - any suggestions for this issue? Netgear was no help. BTW my PS2 works perfect with my current setup.
    This sadly could be anything, either some iop stuff between your AP and the PS3 or some weird noise stuff.

1 Try to turn of all other devices that uses Wireless execept for the PS3 and the AP.
    2. When you tested your laptop, did you do it in the exact same spot as the PS3?
    3. I am not sure where the wireless antenna is located in the PS3, but you could try to have the PS3 stand on its side or lay down or even try to move some where else in the room to see if it helps. Wireless is very fickle about interferance and none line of sight etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JPT View Post
    Stim are you on PPPoE, if so you could try to tweak the MTU setting of the PS3, try to set it on manual and then 1492 bytes.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually using cable internet and my router is set to use a dynamic IP address, so I'm not on PPPoE. However, I did change the setting anyway, and I was able to obtain a speed of about 3 mbps. That is not as fast as the computer, but I think that it is fast enough.

The only problem is that the ping speeds are still horrible. Is there anything that would cause that? When I go to the online lobby in NBA 2K7 everyone shows up red except for me. I did a speed test at http://www.speedtest.net/ and it says that my ping speed is 700+ ms. I don't know if that is correct or if there is a problem with the PS3 browser (it seems to go very slow on that page). Has anyone else used that website from a PS3 with acceptable ping speeds?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by stim View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually using cable internet and my router is set to use a dynamic IP address, so I'm not on PPPoE. However, I did change the setting anyway, and I was able to obtain a speed of about 3 mbps. That is not as fast as the computer, but I think that it is fast enough.

The only problem is that the ping speeds are still horrible. Is there anything that would cause that? When I go to the online lobby in NBA 2K7 everyone shows up red except for me. I did a speed test at http://www.speedtest.net/ and it says that my ping speed is 700+ ms. I don't know if that is correct or if there is a problem with the PS3 browser (it seems to go very slow on that page). Has anyone else used that website from a PS3 with acceptable ping speeds?

Thanks again.
    I guess that I spoke too soon... I ran another test, and the speeds are back to the 700 kbps range.

I did get the speed back up again -- for one test.. I changed the "Speed and Duplex" setting to 100 BaseTX Half Duplex and the MTU setting to 1492. The first speed test was 8+mbps, but then it went back down to the 700 kbps range again on the next test.

I'm wondering if the slow downloaders are because we didn't add a credit card number at the sign up.... or bought the 20 gig system...
    Other than that I have no idea why it is taking me 25 minutes to download 13% of GT HD. The PS3 is hardwired because it is a 20 gig. I have a Wii on the same router, but wireless, and it works great.
    Downloaded Donkey Kong Jr and Mario 64 in just a few minutes. I know these have to be much smaller files, but still, the PS3 takes 2 minutes for every 1% of download?
    Gotta fix this....
    Until then, guess I'll play the Wii while I wait on 3-4 hour downloads. Feels like I've gone back to dial up...

Quote Originally Posted by Leezard73 View Post
    I'm wondering if the slow downloaders are because we didn't add a credit card number at the sign up.... or bought the 20 gig system...
    Other than that I have no idea why it is taking me 25 minutes to download 13% of GT HD. The PS3 is hardwired because it is a 20 gig. I have a Wii on the same router, but wireless, and it works great.
    Downloaded Donkey Kong Jr and Mario 64 in just a few minutes. I know these have to be much smaller files, but still, the PS3 takes 2 minutes for every 1% of download?
    Gotta fix this....
    Until then, guess I'll play the Wii while I wait on 3-4 hour downloads. Feels like I've gone back to dial up...
    I don't think that is the problem, because even speed test websites like http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and http://www.speedtest.net/ are really slow. I don't think that it is the router, because it is even slow when I have it connected directly to the cable modem... J

Who is your ISP and what kind of a modem do you have? Maybe there is some kind of a compatibility issue with certain modems...

I have Hughes.net satellite internet service (too far in the country for Comcast or Bellsouth DSL). Modem is seperate from computer and has it's own hard drive for updates and such. Added a Lyksys router WRT54G.
    Last night I tried to monitor a download of GT HD, it went like this,
    9:52-10:58 36%
    10:58-11:38 46%
    12:20 50%
    12:43 51%
    This is where I cancelled the download and it gave the message "session timed out".
    So somehow the signal is getting cut off after almost 3 hours of downloading.
    So far, I've had nothing download except for the update at the beginning of the signup process.

Super Elite
    Firewalls tend to be the biggest issue with slow downloads, as I've noticed with my torrents if my torrent client doesn't map the UPNP right or in time.

I've also noticed slow downloads or no activity when something is added to the PS Network. When they added the costumes for Genji and the couple Trailers, I couldn't even get the store to load; tried a few hours later and everything was smooth as butter.

If it helps, try speedtest.net from different servers. The one it recommends isn't the best for some reason.

Example:
    First Kansas City with a 83ms Ping and Recommended

Then Dallas with a 83ms Ping as well

Notice how Dallas was better for me for some reason, but either way my upload is roughly the same. I'd say regardless of your download rate (to a point of a little less than 1Mbps) unless you have a 300Kbps upload or better you will also have trouble with the network in the case of timeouts.
    Like my post? Show your support accordingly.

"Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Karate master, and Microsoft is still not black belt." - Ken Kutaragi on XBL

What kind of isp do you have to get 6000kb/s download?
    I can hardly get mine to 900kb/s most of the time it is under 700kb
    here is my test:

Super Elite
    here is my test:

You have a fast upload speed.

http://profile.xfire.com/ssj12
    PSN: Schnacky
    Join a real clan: http://thebladeclan.com
    http://VGChartz.com the most accurate source for world wide sales tracking.

Super Elite
    here is my test:

Cox Cable Fayetteville, AR. It also probably helps that I live near a college that has demanding internet needs, so they make sure there are good servers in the area. I was originally paying for a 4Mbps connection, but Cox upgraded everyone, except their basic users (512Kbps), to somewhere between 6-10Mbps. My college used to get about 3Mbps, but now that they're on fiber optic they get 15Mbps to Kansas and 18-20Mbps to Dallas with about a 3Mbps upload (No s***).

"Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Karate master, and Microsoft is still not black belt." - Ken Kutaragi on XBL

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpawn View Post
    Firewalls tend to be the biggest issue with slow downloads, as I've noticed with my torrents if my torrent client doesn't map the UPNP right or in time.

I've also noticed slow downloads or no activity when something is added to the PS Network. When they added the costumes for Genji and the couple Trailers, I couldn't even get the store to load; tried a few hours later and everything was smooth as butter.

If it helps, try speedtest.net from different servers. The one it recommends isn't the best for some reason.

Example:
    First Kansas City with a 83ms Ping and Recommended

[removed image]

Then Dallas with a 83ms Ping as well

[removed image]

Notice how Dallas was better for me for some reason, but either way my upload is roughly the same. I'd say regardless of your download rate (to a point of a little less than 1Mbps) unless you have a 300Kbps upload or better you will also have trouble with the network in the case of timeouts.

Well I don't think that it is a firewall in my case. If I connect it directly to the cable modem, the speeds are still slow. I don't think that my cable modem has a built in firewall.

As for the servers, believe me, I have tested the speed on several different servers. The thing is, I can test it on my computer and get 8+ mbps speeds and go right to the PS3 and it is only 700 kbps. Then I go back to the computer and it is back up to 8 mbps. There is definitely a problem! I really think that there is a compatibility issue with my modem and the PS3. I have tried everything that I can think of, but I still can't get it to work right...

GameSpawn - What is the make/model of your cable modem?

Apprentice

Well I don't think that it is a firewall in my case. If I connect it directly to the cable modem, the speeds are still slow. I don't think that my cable modem has a built in firewall.

As for the servers, believe me, I have tested the speed on several different servers. The thing is, I can test it on my computer and get 8+ mbps speeds and go right to the PS3 and it is only 700 kbps. Then I go back to the computer and it is back up to 8 mbps. There is definitely a problem! I really think that there is a compatibility issue with my modem and the PS3. I have tried everything that I can think of, but I still can't get it to work right...

To me it sounds like an MTU issue or maybe Window sizes for TCP.

You could try to ping a random server on the internet that is not directly connected to your ISP, try the following ping command.

For Windows:
    ping -l 1500 -f ip_address
    For Linux:
    ping -s 1472 -m do ip_address

If you get a reply saying something like fragmentation needed but DF set, then lower the 1500/1492 value until it stops complaining about that.

The best would be to ping one of the download servers for PSN, but I do not have a clue what the address is.

newps3man22

same issue

tried downloading the gt demo and its 678mb figured it would take a while of course but still slower than expected
    as many on here using the wirless g 2.4 54mbps wrt54g wireless router
    when i connected my signal strenth was around 95, so i assume thats good?

any other tips?

where are you guys getting these speed tests on the ps3?

Dedicated Member
    for me GT:HD 1.1 is horrific but thats the only thing. I had to redownload Blast Factor and that (96mb) was done in a little under 5 minutes (if that). Then i went to get the updated GT:HD and it took about 30 seconds to hit 1%. I didnt have the time or patience to let it sit overnight, so i stopped it. I'll do it some night overnight i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JPT View Post
    To me it sounds like an MTU issue or maybe Window sizes for TCP.

You could try to ping a random server on the internet that is not directly connected to your ISP, try the following ping command.

For Windows:
    ping -l 1500 -f ip_address
    For Linux:
    ping -s 1472 -m do ip_address

If you get a reply saying something like fragmentation needed but DF set, then lower the 1500/1492 value until it stops complaining about that.

The best would be to ping one of the download servers for PSN, but I do not have a clue what the address is.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I tried that on my windows PC and it stopped complaining at 1472. So I set the PS3 to 1472, but the speeds are still slow. Do you have any other ideas?

Super Elite

My network:
    Cable Modem: D-Link DCM-202
    Primary Router: D-Link DI-524 (Wireless Broadcast Enabled, DHCP Enabled)
    Secondary Router: D-Link DI-604 (DHCP Disabled, Functioning as a switch)
    Tertiary Routers: 2x Linksys BEFW11S4 ver. 4 (Wireless Broadcast Enabled, DHCP Disabled, Functioning as wireless APs; NOTE DCHP sucks a** on this model, unless you use them as a switch or AP they SUCK.)

I have each router daisy-chained together to give me more wired ports and spread out my wireless network. All my D-Links are next to each other and the TV in my living room and the Linksyses are chained off the DI-524 with 25' and 50' Ethernet cable respectively. I have my primary PC, PS3, and PS2 wired to the final router in the chain.

Like others have said MTU could be an issue. The PS3 might not being setting up with your router or modem correctly. I love D-Links and have never had a single issue once I started using them. Linksys has given me nothing but flak as far as routers are concerned (have issues with keeping the Wireless-G I use at work connected, I have to unplug/replug to reset every 4-10 days) and I have severe hatred for Motorola cable modems. I bought my own cable modem (the D-Link) and refused to use the one the cable company wanted to give me (more rent me; also a Motorola) for free. Also, another reason for me refusing my cable company's cable modem is that some cable providers tend to speed cap their modems and use custom settings.

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpawn View Post
    My network:
    Cable Modem: D-Link DCM-202
    Primary Router: D-Link DI-524 (Wireless Broadcast Enabled, DHCP Enabled)
    Secondary Router: D-Link DI-604 (DHCP Disabled, Functioning as a switch)
    Tertiary Routers: 2x Linksys BEFW11S4 ver. 4 (Wireless Broadcast Enabled, DHCP Disabled, Functioning as wireless APs; NOTE DCHP sucks a** on this model, unless you use them as a switch or AP they SUCK.)

I have each router daisy-chained together to give me more wired ports and spread out my wireless network. All my D-Links are next to each other and the TV in my living room and the Linksyses are chained off the DI-524 with 25' and 50' Ethernet cable respectively. I have my primary PC, PS3, and PS2 wired to the final router in the chain.

Like others have said MTU could be an issue. The PS3 might not being setting up with your router or modem correctly. I love D-Links and have never had a single issue once I started using them. Linksys has given me nothing but flak as far as routers are concerned (have issues with keeping the Wireless-G I use at work connected, I have to unplug/replug to reset every 4-10 days) and I have severe hatred for Motorola cable modems. I bought my own cable modem (the D-Link) and refused to use the one the cable company wanted to give me (more rent me; also a Motorola) for free. Also, another reason for me refusing my cable company's cable modem is that some cable providers tend to speed cap their modems and use custom settings.

Sounds like quite a setup you have there.

It's funny, because I actually got a new cable modem today before I read this. I thought that there could be some kind of a compatibility problem with the SB5100 and the PS3. I actually got the DCM-202 and I was already using the DI-524 router.

I'm happy to say that the speed is finally as fast as it should be!

Thread Information