Latest PSU headlines:

Backing up PSN Games

is there anyway to backup PSN games such as lemmings, gripshift??

what can you do when u format ur ps3??

another question on this matter is if backup is not possible are u able to download the games that u purchased infinitely?

Apprentice
    I'm pretty sure that anything you've purchased from the store can be downloaded again - it just keeps a record of what you've purchased.

Raises the question of whether you can login to the store on a friend's PS3 and download what you've already purchased onto their hard disk. The same situation would occur if your PS3 is replaced for any reason.

As for backing up, maybe someone lucky enough to own a PS3 (I'm still waiting in the UK) can comment further. I'd hoped you could simply connect to the PS3's hard disk via a PC/Mac on the same network but apparently that's not possible (future firmware update maybe?). I guess the only other option is if you can copy them onto a memory stick or direct to a PSP ?

Apprentice

I had a 20GB PS3 and then got a 60GB so I sold the 20GB.

I tried backing up the 20GB and then restoring it to the 60GB but it does not work, it only allow you to restore to the same PS3 that you've backed up. So it's best for you to copy your game saves to a flash drive or USB HDD if you are replacing the unit.

About download content that you paid for? I was able to download "Blast Factor" again on my new PS3 as soon as I login with my account, I think Sony said in the past that you are allow to download it up to 5 times, I hope I don't have to find out.

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
    Items User name style
    I think Sony said in the past that you are allow to download it up to 5 times
    That sucks things do happen I hope thats not correct im not blaming you ghost lol dont get me wrong. You can download over and over agian on XBL. Im not that interested in the PS store until the march update comes.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMantis View Post
    That sucks things do happen I hope thats not correct im not blaming you ghost lol dont get me wrong. You can download over and over agian on XBL. Im not that interested in the PS store until the march update comes.
    this is what happens when we rely on digital distribution.. i'm not sure how the XBL game DLs works but I know for sure the digital video downloads and only rented and never owned..

Samsung HL-S5087W 50" DLP Display
    Yamaha RX-V2700 AV Receiver
    Microsoft Xbox 360 Premium
    Sony Playstation 3 @ 1080p

Master Sage
    Another thing that i thought about is in the manuel about the return warrenty it says "Some cases your ps3 will need to be refurbished which means swiped memory or removing of faceplates or skins" So if they completely swipe it your screwed if you already took your 5 downloads.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

If you backup your HDD and swap it with a different one, you can simply restore and everything will be exactly like the way it was (including settings and other contents). But if you swap your unit (PS3), what you need to do is to access your account and re-download everything, pain in the butt. I did the back up and restore thing, each took about 25mins but I guess it depends on what you have on your HDD.

I'm going to be upgrading my hard drive eventually, can you give me a quick

Quote Originally Posted by F1Fan View Post
    If you backup your HDD and swap it with a different one, you can simply restore and everything will be exactly like the way it was (including settings and other contents). But if you swap your unit (PS3), what you need to do is to access your account and re-download everything, pain in the butt. I did the back up and restore thing, each took about 25mins but I guess it depends on what you have on your HDD.

I'm going to be upgrading my HDD soon. Could you give me a quick step by step on how to back up my content to put on my new HDD. Thanks for the help!!

Thread Information