Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    -Damien-

Blu-ray hardcore studios, FOX/MGM/Disney/LionsGate, say no to HD-DVD or hybrid discs

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242599,00.html

At a Blu-ray event at the CES, Mike Dunn, president worldwide of News Corp.'s (NWS) Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, said he believed Blu-ray will outsell HD DVD.

By the end of the first quarter of 2007, he projected Blu-ray sales to be three to four times higher than HD's.

"By the end of the first quarter, the format war is over," he said, noting Sony's recently released PlayStation 3 game console with a Blu-ray drive had boosted sales.

"I'm selling 70,000 discs a week. Sales are doubling every week. ... Average PS3 owners buy 6 discs," he said.

With so much riding on the success of either format, various studios also cited resistance to Warner Brothers' plans for a disc that stores movies in both HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

"It's very, very hard. I understand it's twice as hard to make a dual mode disk and twice as expensive," said Walt Disney Co.'s (DIS) Buena Vista Worldwide Home Entertainment president Bob Chapek, noting he would never make a dual mode disk.

Lionsgate Entertainment (LGF) studio director Steve Beeks also ruled out producing dual mode disks.

"If we end up with one format and diminish the confusion that consumers will experience, we get to the end game more quickly," he said.
    Please do not post under the 5 word limit. - Keesie

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Scarl
    "If we end up with one format and diminish the confusion that consumers will experience, we get to the end game more quickly," he said.
    I couldn't agree more! The sooner this "fight" ends, the better for everyone (or at least everyone who supports Blu-ray).

Hardware:
    60Gig PS3, 750 Gig PS3 Slim, 55" Toshiba HDTV, Sony 5.1 Surround System
    Currently Playing: Dead Island: Riptide

Dedicated Member
    say goodbye to hd-dvd, thats all i can really think of after seeing all the news coming out of CES
    Playstation Network ID - LordFarquaad

Setup - HLS5087W, Denon AVR987, Sound Dynamics Loudspeakers, Paradigm Sub

The Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarl View Post
    I couldn't agree more! The sooner this "fight" ends, the better for everyone (or at least everyone who supports Blu-ray).
    One way or the other, just get it over with. What I don't understand is why people around here prefer one over the other.

Mbbest
    Everything he sad can pass but this:

"I'm selling 70,000 discs a week. Sales are doubling every week. ... Average PS3 owners buy 6 discs," he said.
    Wtf? PS3 owners buy 6 movies in average??? is it me or that number is wrong? 2-3 ok but 6 in average.. is there here on ps3forums member who buy 6 Blu-ray movies?

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
    One way or the other, just get it over with. What I don't understand is why people around here prefer one over the other.
    because people around here already own a player of one of the formats.

Master Poster
    "If we end up with one format and diminish the confusion that consumers will experience, we get to the end game more quickly,"
    That's what I have been saying the whole time. Blu-ray is the better technology and if we want lower prices we should just support/buy the product.

I want the format with the most potential until the next switch.

Who wants more expensive hybrid movies when we can have a single format.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbbest View Post

Wtf? PS3 owners buy 6 movies in average??? is it me or that number is wrong? 2-3 ok but 6 in average.. is there here on ps3forums member who buy 6 Blu-ray movies?

I have seven.

Not counting the freebie that comes with the PS3

-Damien-

I have a PS3, 2 games, and 42 blu-ray movies

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noble View Post
    I have seven.

Not counting the freebie that comes with the PS3
    i own 2, but some have bought 20+. With the whole google checkout thing on buy.com it became as cheap as DVD's to buy a few blurays

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Scarl

I have seven, and there is a recent What is your personal attach rate thread in this forum on this subject... quite a few people have more than two or three.

Hardware:
    60Gig PS3, 750 Gig PS3 Slim, 55" Toshiba HDTV, Sony 5.1 Surround System
    Currently Playing: Dead Island: Riptide

Elite Guru
    so far i just have 2 movies, but that should increase soon. instead of just buying old movies, i will probably be picking up new releases, unless its a movie i cannot live without in high def. although, i definately wont be able to pass up 24 season 1.

Apprentice
    I have 18 Blu-ray movies and #19 (Crank) is coming in tomorrow.

Master Guru

Check this thread and see for yourself:

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=52269

Forum Elder
    I have 7 not including Talladega.. 2 in the mail and plan on buying more this year.. I love BR and 1080p

as for this thread.. I agree with them and I hope they stick to their guns. By denying people to blur the line between formats this war will come to an end sooner.

Samsung HL-S5087W 50" DLP Display
    Yamaha RX-V2700 AV Receiver
    Microsoft Xbox 360 Premium
    Sony Playstation 3 @ 1080p

Dedicated Member

Just like in Math class, there's always that geek who messes up the Curve.

Just kidding, but 6 seems like a understandable number, considering that most people have 1-2 and then you have some people with 20...

Master Poster
    Who saw HD DVD actually winning this war. It was Blue Ray all the way and they are just doing what we expected.
    Diablo 3 - DOTA 2 - Deus EX 3 - Half Life: Episode 3

Forum Elder
    Nice to see some shot the hybrid disk down.
    It's Bluray or bust.

Master Poster
    Its not like there are a ton of games to be playing...I've been using mine more as a BR player then anything else...

BTW, I've got 8 titles so far and another 4 on order from Amazon.

Sony SXRD VPL-VW50 w/ 100" Da-lite Fixed Screen

Sony KDL-55XBR8, Samsung BDP-3600 BR Player, Black Cloud 160GB & X Box 360 Elite

Aleman
    I honestly don't understand why HD-DVD is still around. The only advantages it ever had were price and dual format discs. The price advantage turned out to be vastly over-estimated and dual format HD-DVD discs are too expensive.

Blu-ray is just better.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleman View Post
    I honestly don't understand why HD-DVD is still around. The only advantages it ever had were price and dual format discs. The price advantage turned out to be vastly over-estimated and dual format HD-DVD discs are too expensive.

Blu-ray is just better.
    It's too earily to concede yet.

Sales typically go down after holidays anyway, so you the next round is somewhere in apiril to may.

If the stats are just as bad and the anouncements just as one sided then...well... HD-DVD won't survive till the winter.

If they fight evenly, then the deciding battle will be Xmas '07.

But you can bet the number crunchers are counting every report. The fence sitters may not switch, but they like money as well as anyone else. If they see 2:1 sales on the same title, then they will adjust accordingly.

Still too earily to tell.

EU and japan maybe the deciding factor. If both buy into BD, it's almost KO. NA is saturated, but foriegn markets are very lucrative. Japan is especially tempting to go in because they like our western movies well enough.

They need to get titanic BD into JP haha

Terikan
    You'll notice that the only thing these people care about are profits. That's the only reason they don't want multiple formats and why they insist on calling it a 'format war'. A disc is a piece of effin plastic, at some point in time, the cost to produce it will bottom out no matter how complicated what's on it is. A dual-format disc seems like the most sensible thing to do.

I prefer bluray, but I'd hate to see people with hddvd players get screwed because companies care a bit too much about profit margins.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

I have Tears of the Sun, Talledega Nights, Sleepy Hollow, Fifth Element, Kingdom of Heaven, and Ice Age, and Terminator 2.

Apprentice

I'm not thrilled about the dual-firmat discs, but it does make sense for Warner at this point. More importantly, it could provide an "out" of sorts for Universal, who could adopt the format as their way into the Blu-ray market. They could even just advertise the discs as HD DVDs with a bonus PS3 HD side, just to keep looking like they support HD DVD. If something like that happens, I welcome the format. Otherwise, I would rather just get HD DVD put out to pasture sooner rather than later.

As for the attach rate quoted, 6 doesn't seem implausible to me. Given that those who've gotten a PS3 so far are primarily early adopters, who typically have very high attach rates. Since there aren't that many games at the moment, it's seems reasonable to think that many early adopters have spent their money instead on movies.

My Setup - PS3 60 GB, Sony 55" SXRD HDTV w/1080p, Sony 7.1 Receiver w/ JBL Surround Package
    PSN ID: JadedRaverLA
    My PS3 / Blu-ray blog -- http://jadedraverla.spaces.live.com/

Mbbest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I have Tears of the Sun, Talledega Nights, Sleepy Hollow, Fifth Element, Kingdom of Heaven, and Ice Age, and Terminator 2.
    Who give you money to buy all that!?
    And that member with 42(?!) Blu-ray movies..i have maybe 30 dvd movies (thrue 5 years) and thats why i am shocked when i was heard about 7 movies in average and its only few month pass from ps3 launch

I guess that all of you have HDTV?

Its seams that Blu-ray is winning, maybe we see blu-ray add-on for 360 after all

Thread Information