Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Superior Member
    "I'm selling 70,000 discs a week. Sales are doubling every week. ... Average PS3 owners buy 6 discs," ...
    Jesus, It's GAME OVER all over the place for HD-DVD.
    The sooner the better for consumers, I think.

Forum Sage

Good to hear they won't go hybrid, that wouldn't help the "war" at all.

Well for me, I just think Blu-ray is better than HD-DVD. And it wouldn't surprise me if Blu-ray wins the war this first half of 2007 already!

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbbest View Post
    Who give you money to buy all that!?
    My employer haha! I also have a 50" SXRD to rock it all in 1080p

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
    One way or the other, just get it over with. What I don't understand is why people around here prefer one over the other.
    I want Blu-Ray to win because people have been telling me that it will be a flop and will effect PS3 for 6 month's now, even though i've been telling them it has the best studio support, the best chance to get into the market and the best capacity. But of course in one ear out there other.

So yeah I just like being right thankyou very much...
    Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Polyphonic, Incognito, Studio London, Studio Liverpool, Evolution Studios, Guerilla Games, Digi-Guys, Factor 5, Sony R&D, Media Molecule there why I own a PS3... Thanks guys...

Supreme Veteran
    Well the fact that they aren't giving in to hybrids must mean they are confident in Blu-Ray. If M$ and Toshiba come out saying they support the hybrids then we know which side is the more confident.

Apprentice

My wife is going to either let me buy my first PS3 game (I may have to wait until next payday. I'm playing Demos) or I'm going to rent my first Blu-ray movie. Either way I can't wait.

Master Poster
    I dont think there was much doubt that Blue Ray will beat HD DVD, the doubt is if Blue Ray can takeover DVD as the standard media.
    Diablo 3 - DOTA 2 - Deus EX 3 - Half Life: Episode 3

Aleman
    Quote Originally Posted by OKlondon View Post
    I dont think there was much doubt that Blue Ray will beat HD DVD, the doubt is if Blue Ray can takeover DVD as the standard media.
    I don't think it will. By the time DVD starts getting phased out, movie download services should be picking up steam.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleman View Post
    I don't think it will. By the time DVD starts getting phased out, movie download services should be picking up steam.
    I highly doubt that digital distribution is going to take off as a standard, and HD movie is like 25gbs or something. Do you how long it will take to download 1 movie with like an 8mb broadband which is high speed for broadband not many people have the UK. Broadband users are not even more than half the population in the US, what about other countries?

Microsoft's attempt for digital distribution is no more than desperate attempt to see that Blue Ray fails, digital distribution will only been for portable products, sevices that supply small media files big enough for Ipods and PSPs.

Everyone talks about digital distribution like its so simply to implement, a lot of people dont want, a lot of people dont have facilites to download and store large files, a lot of people dont know how to, a lot of people dont trust buying stuff over the internet, a lot of people like a physical media and a lot of people dont even have the internet.

Companies better be joking if they think I m going to spend my time downloading their movies and pay for it, they better pay for me. I cant be bothered to download films for free, let alone pay for it. I have a 10mb broadband and download from a sever and get 1mb+ speeds and still cant be bothered for a 900mb movie!!
    Diablo 3 - DOTA 2 - Deus EX 3 - Half Life: Episode 3

Veteran
    I remember when people said Blu-Ray would fail after its extremely lackluster launch but it seems some spoke too soon. Including me.
    Resistance 2, KillZone 2, WarDevil, MGS4, God Of War 3, Final Fantasu XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, and a alot more, how can 2008 not be the PS3's year.

Dedicated Member
    Everything he sad can pass but this:

Wtf? PS3 owners buy 6 movies in average??? is it me or that number is wrong? 2-3 ok but 6 in average.. is there here on ps3forums member who buy 6 Blu-ray movies?
    Dude, I have 5 movies myself.

Superman Reterns
    Terminator
    M.I. III
    WTC (great movie about survival)
    Taladega nights

Movies I will get
    The Last Samurai (as soon as I can find it)
    Batman Begins (whenever it comes out)
    BHD (On Payday)
    Kingdom Of Heaven (On Payday)

All I can think of off of the top of my head for MUST buys
    Over 32 PS3 games in library and have paid for GTA4 Limited edition and JUST got Prolog......Yeah bud.... I'm playin BEYOND... now if only I can get a new hard drive.....9 gigs left...

Forum Elder

Wtf? PS3 owners buy 6 movies in average??? is it me or that number is wrong? 2-3 ok but 6 in average.. is there here on ps3forums member who buy 6 Blu-ray movies?
    You would be surprised if you check other gaming forums as well. On gaf there was a post about it, and the average ps3 owner had as much as 8 or 9 movies.

I personally wont buy dvd movies anymore. As soon as i get my HDCP compliant monitor next week i will start buying Blu-ray movies just to have enough of them for when i hopefully get a ps3 (february i think).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Studios come and go, but good games last forever"

Master Guru
    Ah....Finally some clarification on the dual discs. So they cost a heck of a lot more. That makes sense. Story over. Good find.

Brian

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OKlondon View Post
    I highly doubt that digital distribution is going to take off as a standard, and HD movie is like 25gbs or something. Do you how long it will take to download 1 movie with like an 8mb broadband which is high speed for broadband not many people have the UK. Broadband users are not even more than half the population in the US, what about other countries?

Microsoft's attempt for digital distribution is no more than desperate attempt to see that Blue Ray fails, digital distribution will only been for portable products, sevices that supply small media files big enough for Ipods and PSPs.

Everyone talks about digital distribution like its so simply to implement, a lot of people dont want, a lot of people dont have facilites to download and store large files, a lot of people dont know how to, a lot of people dont trust buying stuff over the internet, a lot of people like a physical media and a lot of people dont even have the internet.

Companies better be joking if they think I m going to spend my time downloading their movies and pay for it, they better pay for me. I cant be bothered to download films for free, let alone pay for it. I have a 10mb broadband and download from a sever and get 1mb+ speeds and still cant be bothered for a 900mb movie!!
    Exactly.Nailed it right on the head.

If some people expect to download a 1080P movie of 20+gb then be prepared to be disapointed.I can see 720P movies being put up because i think they average around 6gb (even that is huge) but still i dont see that being the primary way to go.I still think holding the disk in your hand is the prefered way to go.Imagine having a 500gb hdd dieing on you with all your movies on them.

aldamon

The PS3 comes with a rebate/coupon book for 7 $10-off coupons for Blu-Ray movies.

Personally, I'm just going to rent them from Netflix, but the opportunity to grab 7 BDs with a $70 discount is tempting.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleman View Post
    while i think bluray will win, i dont think it has enough time to become mainstream. DVD's are still cheap and appeal to the mass market. Within the next 3-5 years, Bluray will become cheap also, but by then they will have another format/distribution method. While i dont think digital distribution will be mainstream quickly, i dont think bluray will ever take over as the "next DVD". It will be an HD format that supplements DVD's, not replaces them
    Playstation Network ID - LordFarquaad

Setup - HLS5087W, Denon AVR987, Sound Dynamics Loudspeakers, Paradigm Sub

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terikan View Post
    You'll notice that the only thing these people care about are profits. That's the only reason they don't want multiple formats and why they insist on calling it a 'format war'. A disc is a piece of effin plastic, at some point in time, the cost to produce it will bottom out no matter how complicated what's on it is. A dual-format disc seems like the most sensible thing to do.

I prefer bluray, but I'd hate to see people with hddvd players get screwed because companies care a bit too much about profit margins.
    What's sensible about it? Why would a movie studio want to increase its production costs and be compelled to sell a disc at a higher retail price than single format discs? Wherever the cost of a dual format disc "bottoms out," it will still have a higher production cost than a single format disc. Therefore, a dual format disc would tend to be inherently more expensive at retail than a single format disc.

At retail, how many consumers would like to pay more for a dual format disc? How many consumers will have spent the money for both an HD-DVD and a BD player or for a dual format player? That's a lot of money, either way. Dual format players will tend to be inherently more expensive than single format players because of higher production costs. And why would one want two HD versions of the same movie? Both versions would probably be made from the same master and, consequently, would most likely be virtually identical or at least not different in a way that would induce people to want to pay for both versions.

If I have a BD player, I wouldn't care to have the HD-DVD version because I can't play it. If I have an HD-DVD player, I wouldn't care to have the BD version because I can't play it. If I have both, which would be unlikely, I still wouldn't care to have both versions. I'd want the version with the best reviews, if I had any preference at all. Again, it's unlikely that the two versions would be different in a way that would induce me to want to own both versions. The same goes in the highly unlikely event that I've paid a premium for a dual format player. I'd want the best version, if there is a best version, not both. And what if these dual format discs have lower picture quality, lower audio quality, or less special features than the single format discs?

I don't buy the "insurance" argument. Regardless of which wins the format war, every disc purchased for a particualr player will play on that player for as long as the player works. I still have a 12 year-old VCR and a 5 year-old DVD player. I'm not too worried about a 2nd gen HD player breaking, being unable to repair or replace it through eBay or something, and rendering my entire collection of HD discs useless because the format is no longer supported. Moreover, a dual format will serve to prolong the format war, if anything. If you're worried about a format losing, help it win -- not "tie." And that format should be BD because of its storage capacity.

Thread Information