Latest PSU headlines:

Apprentice

What ISP should I use?

Alright, I got Sympatico High Speed and my router is the SpeedStream 6520.
    The reason for me dropping my ISP is because the last 3 days I was unable to hardly even play Resistance, well I still played it a lot because I love that game but it was just horrible. I've always been a huge victom to the evil BSers but every now and then my internet really fudges up. Just 1 hour ago I was playing a ranked game in rfom with 6 people (2 on my team dropped -_-) but it was massive bs! I was 3 frags, 14 deaths and all 3 of those frags I died on. Meaning I went right up to him and shot him with the bullseye for like 3/4ths of my clip then he turns around and shoots me a few times then i'm dead, a few secconds later (the last one was 30 secconds) it says on the top left corner of my screan that I just killed him.
    I was well enough used to this from Counter-Strike so I know its not just my PS3.
    So can some one tell me the best ISP out there or if that is the whole of my problem.
    I was playing ScoutzKnives at my friends house on the Scoutz Kings' server and I was like 25 in 4, so thats pretty good and he has Rogers as his ISP.
    My friend who also has Sympatico and feels the same way about it is helping me find a new one for us and he found something saying that Comcast was the best but I don't even know how much they charge or if they are even in Canada.
    So please, please, please help.

Apprentice

Heres a test to run...of course this is for a windows computer so if ur running on another OS disregard this post but do the following...

-Bottom left of the desktop open up start
    -Next start the "RUN" operation
    -type in "cmd" (minus the ") to start the command operation
    -Now the black window so pop up type in the following: ping www.comcast.net -t
    (for the wed address it can be anything but i just like to use the comcast site because i always get good ping times so when they get high i know my connection is getting slow/laggy)
    -Let that pinging go on for atleast like 10-15mins and watch it. see if the time goes like over even 100ms and if so keep track of about how high it goes some times. if it goes like over 150ms then ur going to have lagging issues with online gaming. For me it was especially noticable when playing halo 2.
    -Also if a line says timed out then u completely dropped the packet which is definitly not good.
    -After the 10-15 mins press control+C and the task should stop. It should post your min max and median ping times as well as packet loss %'s etc so please post that on here and i will look at it.
    -And make sure your not running a p2p program like bittorrent. The cause for my connection drops was because of bitcomet. And this was when there were no torrents downloading/uploading. The program its self was just causing my connection to drop so i just switched to uTorrent and havent looked back

Once you get ur results please post them.

PSN ID: tkblingx2
    60GB PS3
    Resistance:FoM | Call of Duty 3 | NFS:Carbon | Ultimate Alliance
    Xbox Live:tkblingx2
    Premium Xbox 360
    GoW | Madden 07 | Oblivion | Enchanted Arms | Halo 2 | ETC...D
    Nintendo Wii
    Zelda:Twilight Princess | Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz | Wii Sports

Apprentice
    My number 1 recommendation would be FIOS, because of its ridiculous download speed and upload.
    #2 will be comcast cable, 6/8mbps not that bad at all(if you going to use comcast, make sure you get the promotion rate, $19.99 for six months for 6 mbps i think)

Apprentice
    I did a scan when you told me to and then ran off because I got hungry and then I got back quite a while later and there were so many replies that I could not see what was at the bottem when I stopped it so I restarted.
    It says I now got an average of 81ms and 0% loss but from what I saw before I restarted it was that my ms was in the 170-250 area, maybe this is a timing thing even though i'm on DSL because my first one with the 170-250ms was 5-6 o'clock and I just did the seccond one with the 81ms at 11 o'clock.

Elite Member

i lost 1 packet. had a minimum of 55, a maximum of 1082 (not a typo), and an average of 64.

Superior Member
    Get FIOS if its in your area. Nothing like Fiber On Site. MMMMMMMMMMMM all the bandwidth i can handle....

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by [-Z-] View Post
    My number 1 recommendation would be FIOS, because of its ridiculous download speed and upload.
    #2 will be comcast cable, 6/8mbps not that bad at all(if you going to use comcast, make sure you get the promotion rate, $19.99 for six months for 6 mbps i think)
    yep i agree with z. i just god fios and i love it. 15mb/2mb its fast as hell and for only $45. i use to have cox cable here in san diego use to pay $80 for 12mb/1mb. so i have about half the money but i got 3mb more on the d/l and 1 mb extra on the up.

max i hit was
    1.6mb download
    220kbs upload

Consoles i own : ps2 xbox360 Ps3 Wii psp
    Wanna see what i look like www.facebook.com/laoman

Master Guru
    I'm running on Sypmatico High Speed Ultra with the Speedstream 6520, and gaming is lag-free for me. I've heard mixed reviews from Sympatico subscribers, many of them say that they're paying for a 5Mbps connection and gettin 1.5-3Mbps. I'm getting usually a minimum of 4Mbps, so I haven't bothered complaining to Bell.

With my old modem, I was on Bell's current high speed service, which promised me a connection of 3Mbps (not "up to" or any of that). It was 3Mbps for a while, but I noticed that the speed had dropped significantly over a long period of time, I was at about 1.2Mbps.

I suggest calling Bell. When my speed dropped, I called them and told them exactly what I pay for and exactly what I'm getting, the guy ran a few tests, and the next morning I was at around 2.2Mbps. I suggest calling to see what they can do before you go switching ISPs.

Another suggestion, is to call Bell and ask them if their Optimax (fibre optic) service is available in your area. You'll pay a premium for the service, but you're guaranteed a great speed. It all depends on how much cash you're willing to spend.

Bell and Rogers' internet service quality varies depending on the area, Bell is DSL, which gets slower over distance, and Rogers is cable, which gets slower with a large amount of users on the network. You should look around and find out what people in your area are getting from each ISP.

I highly recommend you visit the forums on http://dslreports.com , they have a lot of information on all ISPs in Canada, peoples' experiences, etc.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by CarpetShark View Post
    I did a scan when you told me to and then ran off because I got hungry and then I got back quite a while later and there were so many replies that I could not see what was at the bottem when I stopped it so I restarted.
    It says I now got an average of 81ms and 0% loss but from what I saw before I restarted it was that my ms was in the 170-250 area, maybe this is a timing thing even though i'm on DSL because my first one with the 170-250ms was 5-6 o'clock and I just did the seccond one with the 81ms at 11 o'clock.
    next to 0% did it tell u a number in ()? thats the actual amount lost and if your running the test for only 10mins are so and loosing more than like 1 or 2 it would definitly affect online game play. As for the time of day i personally have comcast cable so im not exactly sure how big of an impact if has wit dsl service but from what i understand they make u pretty much share bandwidth with your neighbors right? maybe you have someone else in your neighborhood with the same ISP running a p2p program or something.
    As a little reference heres what i get when i run the test for 5-10 mins. When im not using bittorrent i get around min=35ms max=65ms average=45ms or so with 0% lost and 0 packets lost. but if i am using BT and downloading like 650kB/s then the times get horrible like min=150ms max=like 2000+ms (haha) with a average of about 300~400ms if i remember correctly. And i lost about 5-10 packets even though it shows up as 0% loosing any is bad so remember to look at the #of packets lost more than %.
    Also try running a speedtest and see what kind of results you get there. www.speedtest.net
    Just remember their #'s might be a little high lol i have comcast like i said and look at these #

Lastly to your question about what ISPs are good if you can get FIOS like everyone is saying Fiber Optics is the new way to go with 15mps d/l or even 30mps if you pay more.
    For Verizon they charge only $50 a month for the 15mps d/l service. Next best is comcast cable which is what i have cuz i dont have verizon service yet here in my neighborhood because FIOS is still new technology... And the thing is Comcast is 6mps d/l for $46 a month so ur paying pretty much the same as if you were with verizon but slower...just some info hope that helped.

PSN ID: tkblingx2
    60GB PS3
    Resistance:FoM | Call of Duty 3 | NFS:Carbon | Ultimate Alliance
    Xbox Live:tkblingx2
    Premium Xbox 360
    GoW | Madden 07 | Oblivion | Enchanted Arms | Halo 2 | ETC...D
    Nintendo Wii
    Zelda:Twilight Princess | Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz | Wii Sports

Apprentice
    I looked into verizon's fiber optics thing and it looks as if its only in the states right now but did you say that there was a fiber optic servise for Bell? That would be great because it wouldn't be the leap from sypmatico - verizon ... Leaving in the dark the whole fiber optic setting up thing.
    Also, how do you check your mbps?

And thanks for all your help!

Thread Information