Latest PSU headlines:

-Damien-

More HD-DVD movies get hacked

oh man, these hackers are vicious, they're ripping apart new HD-DVD movies on a daily basis. New movies like King Kong has fallen victim, as others like Serenity, 12 Monkeys, etc......

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=119871&page=32

Terikan
    Please do not insult other members. - Keesie
    It's good to be able to rip discs.

anjiru0009
    I can see the online torrents now.

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Terikan View Post
    wow you are retarded.

yeah but movie studios don't think so
    which means bye, bye HD-DVD

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Apprentice

Ohh, that maybe a threat to bluray. If i cannot make copys of bluray, i would choose HDDVD.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrismc View Post
    Ohh, that maybe a threat to bluray. If i cannot make copys of bluray, i would choose HDDVD.
    Yeah but if studios stop making movies on HDDVD becuse of this then you have no movies to copy.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrismc View Post
    Might be soo but with the Hard coating BD get's this won't be a problem as the disc won't **** up as easy as DVD or CD.

Anyways Movie companies need to make money and if HD-DVD get's this problem everytime who will they chose the disc that is unhackable/or not hacked yet and is hard to hack and get's them money or the one that is easily hackable and gets them some money but not the full deal.

phranctoast
    this could be a problem online, but not so much with burning dics. Blu ray media cost similar to a pressed movie. Theres no point in copying movies now when its the same price as buying them.

Both HDDVD and blu ray have managed copy. So you will be able to rip a copy to your HDD and play it off the PC. This will be good for renting stuff and having a copy until you need more room on a drive.

Dedicated Member

It seems that Sony's delay of PS3 while sorting out Blu-Ray copy protection issues is going to pay off.
    "Knowledge is power"
    My Blog

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Terikan View Post
    At least for those folks who just like to download movies and delete them afterwards.

However, I do fail to see it as a good thing for a studios who release their movies on HD-DVD.
    They do not get any money from people who just rip and distribute for a good of a community.

AskMeHow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    yeah but movie studios don't think so
    which means bye, bye HD-DVD
    Is this a serious post? You can speak for the movie studios in less than 20 words and sum it up with a "bye bye HD-DVD"? Seriously?!?

The studio's care about money and power. And BR would be cracked if it was to come out on top too, so pick your poison. If someone built it, someone else can unbuild it. In fact, if anything...the protection being cracked just might increase sales because I know I would prefer a technology that I can backup.

Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    At least for those folks who just like to download movies and delete them afterwards.

However, I do fail to see it as a good thing for a studios who release their movies on HD-DVD.
    They do not get any money from people who just rip and distribute for a good of a community.
    I'm sure the studios are fairly aware that pretty much any encryption will be cracked. So the solution is to incorporate the protection from both hardware and software combined. All that really does is keep the honest people honest. Just because there is no DRM on something does not mean that piracy rates will skyrocket. We can see that with DVD's, they've been cracked for a while. Do you see any of the studio's suffering? Are movie stars out on the streets begging for money? Did the MP3 format kill the music biz? No. I don't see cracked DRM as being a bad thing for any company...on the contrary people also don't like being heavily restricted in their use of their media. Not many want a DVD player to count the number of uses of the disc or limit them in any way, do they? DRM is bad, and the way it is now is not acceptable. So it either needs to go away or be heavily heavily redesigned to be a lot more realistic.

Also, the average consumer is not a pirate. Most folks would rather go to Walmart and dig through the bin for the special disc's or to shell out the cash for the new release. It's not worth the $20 for the average working class person to wait a few hours for a download, run a conversion to DVD format, and then burn the disc. It's only the kiddies who start thinking of it from a piracy perspective that a format is dead.

Do not double post - roosters93

Apprentice

Well, one reason so many more studios supported Blu-ray from the outset was its more advanced copy protection mechanism. Copy protection is a BIG deal for movie studios. When DVD first came out, Disney and Fox waited forever to release titles becuase they didn't feel the format was secure enough. Noteably, both studios eagerly jumped on Blu-ray. Given that HD DVD titles have already been hacked, there is NO WAY either of those studios will EVER release a HD DVD title now -- even if that format continues being supported by other studios. That does give Blu-ray a significant advantage in the format war.

Also, since Blu-ray can play the same VC-1 codec, I wonder how hard it would be to reformat these "ripped" HD DVD titles as Blu-ray discs. If the main movie video and audio can be exported from the files, it should be fairly easy to use a Blu-ray authoring program to create a Blu-ray disc with a Universal Studios HD DVD movie on it. Could be fun to screw with your friends heads.

My Setup - PS3 60 GB, Sony 55" SXRD HDTV w/1080p, Sony 7.1 Receiver w/ JBL Surround Package
    PSN ID: JadedRaverLA
    My PS3 / Blu-ray blog -- http://jadedraverla.spaces.live.com/

Thread Information