Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Captainnippon

IBM Sony Toshiba expected to unveil NEW Cell

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...page_computers

Next month, IBM, Sony, and Toshiba (TOSBF) are expected to unveil a new version of Cell that is about twice as speedy as its first-generation predecessor.
    could this new cell goes into the $2 000 PS 3 i been hearding about? Of course the new processing power are for applications and networkings.

Elite Sage

It would seem very unlikely.

People keep asking about this, but... In the entire history of console gaming, no one's ever upgraded the performance of a console during its life cycle. Ever.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Good news for future Sony products.

Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post

People keep asking about this, but... In the entire history of console gaming, no one's ever upgraded the performance of a console during its life cycle. Ever.
    Although we are now in the generation of downloads and patches, and firmware does upgrade performance.
    The PS2 got upgraded performance by having a better DVD player, Progressive scan capability and more... in later versions.

You never know, I could actually see consoles with speedier chips for speedier load times and smoother performance at a later point in its life cycle, while the first run consoles still work just not as speedily, or efficiently.

Veteran
    what the f does it mean the ps3 later will be better than mines now will it have better graphics i will be pissed if it does that is bunch of bull unless they take my system back and get me an upgraded one. witch i then have no problem with.

Started the Big Sexy Signature Revolution
    Should I sue Microsoft for taking my Name? Cutting it in half and making it into a crap excuse for a search engine....If you think I can win, lets do this

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by andydumi View Post
    You never know, I could actually see consoles with speedier chips for speedier load times and smoother performance at a later point in its life cycle, while the first run consoles still work just not as speedily, or efficiently.
    Unlikely as it would more than likely make some games incompatible with the new version of the console. Also it would be stupid and a waste of money to install a better chip just for that reason.
    Also the bottleneck in loading times isn't really the processor, it's the media it's coming off of (Blu Ray, HDD)
    "It's a wonder you still know how to breathe"

Master Guru
    If they made the cell 2X the speed in a year lord knows whats going to be in the PS4 !

Master Poster
    I doubt it would give an idea of what the ps4 could be like.
    Diablo 3 - DOTA 2 - Deus EX 3 - Half Life: Episode 3

five6ix7seven
    Man, THIS BLOWS!!!! It's like this was THE REAL CELL that they were developing all along!!! The one in PS3 is just like a PROTOTYPE of CELL, like CELL-LITE or gimped CELL.

This REAL CELL is TWICE AS POWERFUL!!!! That means the games could have been TWICE AS GOOD!!! Can you imagine how AWESOME FFXIII or MGS4 or KILLZONE 2 if PS3 had the REAL CELL?!!!!

I'm starting to think the company that made the KILLZONE 2 teaser trailer did it on the specs of the REAL CELL and then found out the that PS3 CELL was just HALF AS POWERFUL. Why do you think only Killzone 2, which was like the first PS3 trailer, had the amazing graphics and there hasn't been any trailers like that since?

I actually feel BAD for Guerilla Games now since it probably wasn't their fault they made the Killzone 2 trailer SO AWESOME! They probably thought that PS3 were going to have CELL 2's specs instead of CELL 1. And they got crapped on for it and now they under TREMENDOUS PRESSURE to deliver CELL 2 graphics with just CELL 1 which is impossible.

It's like they're doomed if they do and doomed if they don't.

Man, if PS3 used CELL 2 it would DESTROY Wii and Xbox 360 in sales, not to mention be the ALL-TIME BEST CONSOLE EVER!!!!

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by five6ix7seven View Post
    Man, THIS BLOWS!!!! It's like this was THE REAL CELL that they were developing all along!!! The one in PS3 is just like a PROTOTYPE of CELL, like CELL-LITE or gimped CELL.

This REAL CELL is TWICE AS POWERFUL!!!! That means the games could have been TWICE AS GOOD!!! Can you imagine how AWESOME FFXIII or MGS4 or KILLZONE 2 if PS3 had the REAL CELL?!!!!

I'm starting to think the company that made the KILLZONE 2 teaser trailer did it on the specs of the REAL CELL and then found out the that PS3 CELL was just HALF AS POWERFUL. Why do you think only Killzone 2, which was like the first PS3 trailer, had the amazing graphics and there hasn't been any trailers like that since?

I actually feel BAD for Guerilla Games now since it probably wasn't their fault they made the Killzone 2 trailer SO AWESOME! They probably thought that PS3 were going to have CELL 2's specs instead of CELL 1. And they got crapped on for it and now they under TREMENDOUS PRESSURE to deliver CELL 2 graphics with just CELL 1 which is impossible.

Man, if PS3 used CELL 2 it would DESTROY Wii and Xbox 360 in sales, not to mention be the ALL-TIME BEST CONSOLE EVER!!!!
    LOL did You just have a panic attack.

Ultimate Veteran
    this sounds good but i think this new cell would be over kill for a console.
    the cell we have all ready is fast enough,...........................................

Superior Member

That means the games could have been TWICE AS GOOD!!!
    no it doesn't ... do't be stupid.

Elite Guru
    wrong section mods need to move this to tech side

Consoles i own : ps2 xbox360 Ps3 Wii psp
    Wanna see what i look like www.facebook.com/laoman

Superior Member
    The question here is did MS force Sony to deliver PS3 early? I asked this question on my first posting, and maybe it is a year early maybe Spring/Autumn 2007 was the plan? We will never know MS in their head long rush to be first!

But it not matter now it looks like the PS3 is a great console
    PS3 Arrived 26 March and enjoying every minute: HD TV Funds : 400 (Toshiba or Sony ???)
    PS3 VS Xbox 360: Quietest Fan?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AFSOCOM

Dude you are on crack. The cell inside the PS3 right now is more than enough. It's gonna take long enough just for devs to tap the power of that one, nevermind if they put this new cell in. You're just trying to put some sort of emphasis on this to create negativity as usual. Go away Troll.

Captainnippon
    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post

You're being very negative toward the PS 3. I can see sony upgrade the Cell clock speed over 4 ghz for applications usage and networking. The gaming part can still be at 3.2 hz. There's nothing wrong with that all.

If the upgrade do happen, it won't be anythime soon, we're looking 2-3 years down the road.

nexgen101
    WTF I thought my ps3 was future proof!!

Dedicated Member

You don't understand how powerful the cell in the PS3 already is. Its not a gimped cell at all, this Cell chip will be put in super computers like the cell we have now already is.

Your post is failure please never make another one.

Super Elite
    Its most likely the 65nm model of the current one.

http://profile.xfire.com/ssj12
    PSN: Schnacky
    Join a real clan: http://thebladeclan.com
    http://VGChartz.com the most accurate source for world wide sales tracking.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janenba352 View Post
    Its most likely the 65nm model of the current one.
    If thats the case does it mean PS3 is about to get cheaper to make?
    PS3 Arrived 26 March and enjoying every minute: HD TV Funds : 400 (Toshiba or Sony ???)
    PS3 VS Xbox 360: Quietest Fan?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Sage
    If they can really make it faster than the original cell, make it 65nm and make it cheaper overall, then it would be a very good idea for the system. I really hope that they put these new cell chips to use within this year, because I really do not want to wait for next year for one.

Thanks VENGEFUL_BLUR for the avatar and spyrde for the sig!

Cogito ergo sum. - "I think, therefore I am."

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    LOL did You just have a panic attack.
    five6ix7seven is a never ending panic attack.

Anyway, this is destined for more computation intensive applications like medical system scanners and supercomputers. As was said, the Cell in the PS3 is already so advanced that it's going to be mined for performance gains for the life of the thing. It doesn't need more power. Now ram, that's another matter.
    Now writing: two Ratchet & Clank novels, a Sly 4 novel, and two rock albums
    PSN ID: Tetsumura/Tetsumaru019
    Pray for this planet! And I don't mean the environment

five6ix7seven
    Quote Originally Posted by fis View Post
    The question here is did MS force Sony to deliver PS3 early? I asked this question on my first posting, and maybe it is a year early maybe Spring/Autumn 2007 was the plan? We will never know MS in their head long rush to be first!

But it not matter now it looks like the PS3 is a great console
    I think you're on the right track. I think Sony wanted to steal MS's thunder when they announced Xbox 360 back in 2005, and thus rushed out PS3. What Sony should have done is release PS3 in FALL 2007. Let MS have their fun for 2 years, and then release a console that is DECIDEDLY BETTER than Xbox 360 with CELL 2 in PS3!

Look at the 2006 Xmas sales numbers, PS2 WAS THE TOP SELLING CONSOLE!!!! PS2 is still going strong, they didn't need to RUSH OUT PS3! Imagine if PS3 included CELL 2 how RIDICULOUS the PS3 GAMES WOULD BE!!!

With CELL 2 being TWICE AS POWERFUL as CELL 1, I think we could have seen a PS3 version of CRYSIS that is BETTER THAN THE PC VERSION! Read the article and see HOW INSANELY POWERFUL CELL 2 is!

And EVERY SINGLE PS3 game would look WAY BETTER than what is possible with CELL 1. We would have DEFINITELY seen a KILLZONE 2 that is AS GOOD OR BETTER than that teaser trailer.

With CELL 2 being announced just weeks after the PS3 LAUNCH, you know Sony was aware of it's development. They really should have taken their time to incorporate this amazing technology rather than rushing a console that has yet to outshine it's competition.

Sadly I think Blu-Ray had something to do with it. Sony wanted SO DESPERATELY to get ownership of the next video distribution platform that they sacrificed gaming for Blu-Ray.

I see Sony's target with PS3 is NOT MS OR NINTENDO, but rather HD-DVD. I just wish Sony had the confidence to let the Blu-Ray war sit a year SO THEY COULD INCLUDE CELL 2 in PS3 so our console for the NEXT 5 YEARS would be TWICE AS POWERFUL!!!

Apprentice
    i was thinking if they could create a console like computer (similar to ps3 linux only), like solid state computer but on cell running linux cheap and mass produced, low-end(2 spe only) power efficient. the purpose is for work, schools, media center, projects and government offices. man the pc could be reduced to a hobbyist computer.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bingbing View Post
    what the f does it mean the ps3 later will be better than mines now will it have better graphics i will be pissed if it does that is bunch of bull unless they take my system back and get me an upgraded one. witch i then have no problem with.
    this is such a true they wont do it just that.

Thread Information