Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Looks like this thread is more on the PS3 sales rather then the video signal question.

I think you wont be able to notice too much differences. As I dont live in the US I am not sure what is the prices differences between the cables but I believe HDMI is more expensive, by how much I've got no clue. If you are short in cash, save the bucks at get the component, if you can afford the HDMI, go to for it but dont expect spectacular differences.

With my PS3, I am using HDMI as my TV is capable of 1080p and I want to get the most of it.

My cable box, have both HDMI and Component (here in Japan it is called D-sub) output. I opted for the component for the sole reason that using the component I get upscaling to 1080i (as far as I could see, there are no 1080p content at the moment therefore via the HDMI I get only 525p with no upscaling).

Hope it helped even that part of it was a bit off topic.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEZER View Post
    I have a 32" LCD with 1080i max resolution. I bought component cables and get a great picture. I also don't believe the cable has to be Sony or Monster to be good either.
    1080i is usless stick with 720p

Consoles i own : ps2 xbox360 Ps3 Wii psp
    Wanna see what i look like www.facebook.com/laoman

Who's your daddy?
    Quote Originally Posted by twesterm View Post
    I give mad props to Sony for getting their production issues sorted out and getting their console out, but demand is seriously slowing down. A few days ago I walked into Best Buy (Frisco, TX - pretty busy Best Buy) to see a stack of about 40 60GB PS3's sitting more or less untouched. It looked like maybe about 3 had been taken from the stack and it was more or less ignored. I went back there today and the stack was slightly smaller (about 35), but still looked pretty untouched. I suppose this could be an entirely new stack of 60GB PS3's, but I doubt. The demand has died down and now they're getting easier to find. It's great for people that actually want a PS3, it's troubling because the console is only 2 months old.

I was at Gamestop today (biggest one in Texas) hoping to pick up Warioware (didn't happen, stupid release date and shipping date) and trading in my old XBox (since I got a 360 a few weeks ago). When I first stepped up to the line someone called in asking about the Wii and the clerk said "nope, none at all" and hung up with a frustrated look on his face. I asked him how many of those calls he typically gets a day and he said literally hundreds. In the next 5 or so minutes the clerks received 3 more calls (4 total) asking about the Wii. Just for grins and giggles, I asked about the PS3 and the clerk said they get a call every few days.

I'm really not trying to sound like any kind of fanboy here, but little things like these and the fact almost everybody has stories similiar to these is troubling for the PS3. Developers do notice these trends and notice what is selling and what isn't. I like the potential the PS3 has, but I really think it's going to be this gens Gamecube. It's going to have some killer games, it can do some really cool things, and the people that have it will love it, but it just won't rise above the other systems.
    well think about it. the wii is fun. cheap, and from nintendo. this time, i hate to say it, nintendo has struck gold.

while sony, well, nobody really wnats a ps3 now, one becuase its 600 dollars and nmost people dont have that money, and two, there is only one game out that is worth your moeny. so in march things will step up.

btw my english teacher has a wii and i told him i had a ps3 and he got jealous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSwii60 FTW

Elite Member

If the major stores would just stop with the stupid bundling they'd sell more consoles online and people in places where PS3's are in short supply would be able to get them.

Best Buy doesn't do bundles (or at least the huge stack I was looking at wasn't bundles, just 60GB system) and they weren't selling.

And I missed the list, what games are coming out in March? Whatever it is, the list is probably going to be great for people who already own a PS3, but it isn't going to sell a lot of consoles. Once again, look at the Gamecube.

Looks like this thread is more on the PS3 sales rather then the video signal question.
    That is because the thread starter is an idiot. He made a topic and the majority of his opening post about one thing and then asked the actual question he was thinking about in the last paragraph. Things like that result in hijacked threads and threads with multiple conversations.

You'll notice the difference with a 50+ inch tv...

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    Hmm.

You know, I bet you're right. I am sometimes careless, and inclined to imagine that Microsoft would sometimes do things that a rational actor would choose as being in line with their stated goals.

Come to think of it, there was a fair amount of discussion at the time about their intentional creation of scarcity... I guess the real thing would be to look at the sales charts and compare.

In which case, there's a delicious irony; it may be that MS failed to make some of their goals in obtaining a lead over the PS3 specifically because they were trying to create artificial scarcity.
    ha, yeah, according to most stories there wasnt a 2nd major shipment until Feburary. The lack of product is what caused the precieved demand, whereas the truth is, there just werent any 360's being sent out. The PS3 has outsold the 360's from launch to Jan 1st.
    Playstation Network ID - LordFarquaad

Setup - HLS5087W, Denon AVR987, Sound Dynamics Loudspeakers, Paradigm Sub

Yeah there were quite a few at BestBuy tonight in Florence, Al but that's not really a surprise.

The big selling game around here is NCAA football. It's actually huge in this area with most game stores having midnight releases and if you don't have a pre-order, you're not getting it. Since NCAA isn't out on PS3, there's no reason for anybody to buy one.

Wait until the killer apps come out for PS3, then the average gamer will want one.

Elite Sage

Quote Originally Posted by gcubed View Post
    ha, yeah, according to most stories there wasnt a 2nd major shipment until Feburary. The lack of product is what caused the precieved demand, whereas the truth is, there just werent any 360's being sent out. The PS3 has outsold the 360's from launch to Jan 1st.
    That's sorta comforting.

Still, the game drought can't be good.

(But hey, I get to laugh it off; I get Wario Ware tomorrow. And Burning Crusade. And Phoenix Wright the day after that. Anyone wanna do my job for the rest of the month?)

Apprentice

Sony may have trouble selling their system right now. Some areas are selling out but some areas are not(It depends on where you live). It is a testament that Sony did get shipping ramped up and is more accesable everywhere.

However, the system is still not selling as fast as it should be. When March hits and there are more games(and the Europe launch), will definitely help push things Sony's way. But, and I still can't believe this; Nintendo's Wii may actually outsell the PS3 and xbox 360 hands down.

When the average family with children is offered a 249.99 system(known to be children friendly) Wii or the 499.99 or 599.99(advanced system); I really belive that parents will pay for the Wii, and like it or not, the casual gamer makes up the majority of buying consoles, not the hardcore gamer. Yes, Sony has a Blue Ray player and can do a hundred things the Wii cannot. But at the end of the day, does a casual player really need all of this? or do they just want a game system to play video games on(or their children to play games on?).

I will be honest, I am actually a bit nervous for the PS3, I am sure it will rebound, no doubt. But I only see this happening with price drops(thereby taking a big hit per console but selling more consoles), or having a stellar library. Eventually the PS3 will have a great library, but I worry if the PS3 doesn't sell more units that some developers will cancel productions on some games. I will hope for the best.

P.S. Nintendo???Taking the lead again??? Did anyone see this coming? The last time Nintendo ruled the world was with the SuperNes, does anyone here remember this? This was years ago. When they lost ground to Ps1, I thought they would never reclaim their glory. And now, in 2007, they produce the most graphically basic machine out of everything available, it doesn't do much and probably has 1/4 the power of the cell. And yet the masses can't get enough of it. X-box 360 I can sorta see(pc cloned games), but Nintendo Wii? Damn this blows my mind, proof that people just want to play fun games? You be the judge.

yea thats pretty scary to think about- obviously its way to early to make any judgments but right now the statistics are scaring a lot of people- myself included...
    PS3 20gig
    Resistance Fall of Man
    NBA 2K7

Besieged
    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    The thing is, the 360 ramped up production after their launch, but stayed sold out ANYWAY. The Wii is still ramping up production, with no end in sight.

The problem isn't that production shouldn't be high; it's that, with the production that's going on, failure to sell out is a little nervousmaking for a product that needs to have marketshare to attract developers.
    If 360 ramped up after launch then why did they sell less in Dec 2005, Jan 2006, feb 2006, than the launch month Nov 2005. Either they had supply issues, or it sucked, which is it?

Elite Member
    Sony's PS3 has outpaced the Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 when comparing each system's respective launch window. I don't know how one can be so doom and gloom when They've been down this negative press/lackluster launch road twice before and managed to move 100 million consoles each time. Just enjoy the games and let the business take care of itself.
    Bunch of sensitive crybabies on this forum

Superior Member
    Are you kidding me?! An abundance of PS3's and no buyers....There would be more than enough buyers if we had them here...they should all just send it here!
    I have been looking for one for months and i know tons of people here who are also doing the same. So if you have a lot of PS3s over there and no ones buying it, tell them to ship it here. They ll be gone in 1 hour. Our futureshop/bestbuy recieved approx 100 PS3s a little while ago. Within half an hour all of them were gone, and it was not an online sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear Shenyu View Post
    Skipping school to get the console is advised...I'm dead serious, those who choose school over PS3 either are Xbox fanboys, really really GTS or don't have the money.-Shenyu

whoa- looks like you guys are missing out on all the excitement! ha just kidding- if i had any pull in shipping these consoles out to those ps3 hungry fans id absolutely do it- sadly enough though- i dont so youll have to suffer until you get your hands on one...unless you already do!
    PS3 20gig
    Resistance Fall of Man
    NBA 2K7

AFSOCOM
    PS3 available! OH KNOWS!!! I have the perfect reason to why. Apparently everyone here has seen these huge stacks, or what was a huge stack laying around stores, right? Well maybe, just maybe, and this might sound a little crazy, these stores just received a fresh shipment of these systems recently. If I'm not mistaken making them available will allow the customers to purchase one and increase sales correct? I always thought making your product available to the general public for sales was good? Basic economics perhaps?

Superior Member

I agree Sony should be commended that they have don't a decent job of getting production ramped up but at the same time the production nunbers aren't so awesome that they have already outstripped demand. I'm pretty sure that Sony has concern right now that the price point is having more of an impact on sales then they originally estimated. Let's do the math here, they only 500K in the US in December and by the end of the month PS3's were easily obtained. They claim they are on track to sell 6 Million units by the end of March so that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 million a month for the next 3 months. Even if the Euorpean launch happens on March 1 it seems extremely unlikely they will come anywhere near 6 Million sold by March and that has to be a concern to Sony. The next 3 months of sales figures are going to be quite interesting.

OMGashleysimpson
    WHEN WILL IT STOP!!!

I saw my first PS3's on the shevles this week (the one i got was from a friend) so besides the one i got it was my first time seeing another PS3, there were 4 and they just put them out 1 guy bought 1 that minute, came back an hour later and there was still 1 left. There probally would of been a mad rush if they annouced over the spreakers they had some in stock, the people didnt know they had 1.

I was there to buy a controler but the were sold out, so was BB, mijier, and gamespot. Any idea when they will start making more controlers?

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    sigh...

no games = slow sales

its not rocket science fellas
    good and valid point well see how it goes once games like mgs4,lair,heavenly sword,and motorstorm comes out those are console sellers i imagine having another shortage once theres games people actually wanna play im glad i already have ym baby plus all those games preordered so when they do come out i will be in gaming heaven/nirvana

Might as well save me the trouble and put your face in my cross-hairs, Why delay the inevitable?

AFSOCOM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrut View Post
    I agree Sony should be commended that they have don't a decent job of getting production ramped up but at the same time the production nunbers aren't so awesome that they have already outstripped demand. I'm pretty sure that Sony has concern right now that the price point is having more of an impact on sales then they originally estimated. Let's do the math here, they only 500K in the US in December and by the end of the month PS3's were easily obtained. They claim they are on track to sell 6 Million units by the end of March so that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 million a month for the next 3 months. Even if the Euorpean launch happens on March 1 it seems extremely unlikely they will come anywhere near 6 Million sold by March and that has to be a concern to Sony. The next 3 months of sales figures are going to be quite interesting.
    Well if you think about it, it's possible. By the end of the month of January there will probably be about 2million PS3's sold between NA and Japan. It's not that improbable that it'll sell another million throughout February. Gives us a total of 3 million sold to consumers. Then come March we have the launch in Europe and abroad which is easily gonna be 2 million units off the bat, and then some. Add that up with maybe another million between NA and Japan, and you'll have about 6 million sold to consumers by the end of March. Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not. I'm staying optimistic about it though since we're gonna be seeing many more highly anticipated titles hitting the PS3 market. Plus people won't be hurting from the holidays anymore.

Forum Sage

Where I live you can't even buy a PS3 because almost all the stores are still trying to get their customers who pre-ordered taken care of. The only two stores that get them occasionally are Best Buy and Circuit City and they usually don't sit for very long. My brother works in Circuit City and they get shipments every Wednesday and Saturday and he tells me that between 10 and 20 come in each and every time. Problem is they get sold out in no more than a half an hour's time every single time Meanwhile I go to Best Buy and see 50 to 60 Xbox360's at the front of the store each and every time I go there, and they're always having a bundle sale. That just goes to show what items are really in demand. As far as the Wii is concerned I won't even go there because we all know it's a smashing hit.(I meant that in both terms.) But seriously, I think Sony is doing exactly what they promised and as long as they deliver on that promise, they have nothing to fear from their competition.

As far as the difference between component and HDMI goes. HDMI's performance over component is comparable until you reach resolutions greater than 720p and 1080i, then you get a noticeable increase in quality. The quality is also affected by screen size. I'd say if really wanted to take full advantage of what HDMI has to offer then I suggest a TV with that supports 1080p or greater and a screen size of 40" or greater.

Quote Originally Posted by jason551 View Post
    Sony may have trouble selling their system right now. Some areas are selling out but some areas are not(It depends on where you live). It is a testament that Sony did get shipping ramped up and is more accesable everywhere.

However, the system is still not selling as fast as it should be. When March hits and there are more games(and the Europe launch), will definitely help push things Sony's way. But, and I still can't believe this; Nintendo's Wii may actually outsell the PS3 and xbox 360 hands down.

When the average family with children is offered a 249.99 system(known to be children friendly) Wii or the 499.99 or 599.99(advanced system); I really belive that parents will pay for the Wii, and like it or not, the casual gamer makes up the majority of buying consoles, not the hardcore gamer. Yes, Sony has a Blue Ray player and can do a hundred things the Wii cannot. But at the end of the day, does a casual player really need all of this? or do they just want a game system to play video games on(or their children to play games on?).

I will be honest, I am actually a bit nervous for the PS3, I am sure it will rebound, no doubt. But I only see this happening with price drops(thereby taking a big hit per console but selling more consoles), or having a stellar library. Eventually the PS3 will have a great library, but I worry if the PS3 doesn't sell more units that some developers will cancel productions on some games. I will hope for the best.

P.S. Nintendo???Taking the lead again??? Did anyone see this coming? The last time Nintendo ruled the world was with the SuperNes, does anyone here remember this? This was years ago. When they lost ground to Ps1, I thought they would never reclaim their glory. And now, in 2007, they produce the most graphically basic machine out of everything available, it doesn't do much and probably has 1/4 the power of the cell. And yet the masses can't get enough of it. X-box 360 I can sorta see(pc cloned games), but Nintendo Wii? Damn this blows my mind, proof that people just want to play fun games? You be the judge.
    The most troubling thing for Sony: Nintendo Wii Remotes are much harder to find than the PS3.

But yeah, the people are choosing and they're choosing gameplay over graphics. The PS3 is a great machine that can do some absolutely incredible things, but it's just too far ahead of its time. At this moment, the industry doesn't need a prettier FPS, racer, or sports game, it simply needs a new game. The Wii readily invites people to concentrate on new ideas and developers love it.

The PS3 boasts great hardware, all HD, Blu-ray, and it is impressive, but it is just too much. Look at it however you want, but the PS3 is a toy, nothing else. When parents are buying their kids a new toy, $500-$600 is a lot to choke down and it's just too much to ask. In a few years when the PS3 is cheaper and it gets a price drop, it will be much better and people will be ready for it, but I just don't think people were ready for it yet. It is way too much money and the majority of people can't even take advantage of it. I go to a school of gamers, none of us actually have a PS3 and most of us don't even have an HD TV. Sony simply jumped the gun a little bit, gambled on their Blu-ray, and they are paying for it. They can still pull out of their rut, but it isn't going to be easy.

As for sales, they are very troubling. The console has been out for two months and many many places have stacks of unsold PS3's collecting dust. March will bring some more good games, but nothing that would be considered a system seller by far. The system seller games themselves are very far away (only one of which even has a release date) and I'm not so sure a game is going to sell the PS3. Developers see this and when they decide what platform or platforms to develop for, they take this into account. If they want to try something new or cheap, the Wii works great and it has a large following. If they want graphics, the XBox 360 can do most everything they want to do and it has a large following. If sales don't pick up quickly for the PS3, exclusive games are going to start dwindling away (and exclusives are what it needs most next to casual games).

AFSOCOM
    Quote Originally Posted by twesterm View Post
    As for sales, they are very troubling. The console has been out for two months and many many places have stacks of unsold PS3's collecting dust. March will bring some more good games, but nothing that would be considered a system seller by far. The system seller games themselves are very far away (only one of which even has a release date) and I'm not so sure a game is going to sell the PS3. Developers see this and when they decide what platform or platforms to develop for, they take this into account. If they want to try something new or cheap, the Wii works great and it has a large following. If they want graphics, the XBox 360 can do most everything they want to do and it has a large following. If sales don't pick up quickly for the PS3, exclusive games are going to start dwindling away (and exclusives are what it needs most next to casual games).
    You need to refrain from making comments such as this. Just because PS3's aren'y flying off the shelves as soon as they hit the sales floor certainly doesn't mean they're sitting there "collecting dust". First of all it all depends on the area you live that will predict how fast the console will sell. Secondly it's not like the console has been sitting there for weeks untouched. Most shipments in most stores sell out within a few days, if not within the week. Basic economics will tell you you're gonna need fresh shipments in so that you can SELL the system. HELLLOOOO MC FLY, ANYBODY HOME???

Dedicated Member
    If its such a problem having excess stock in stores then the best solution would be to ship them to the UK and Europe, if they done this I dont think there would be many on shop floors much longer
    "Ever since I started working each day has been worse than the one before, so no matter what day you see me its the worst day of my life".

haha i dont think its much of a problem although im sure a lot of people would appreciate that in Europe- im sure those PS3's will sell sooner or later its just a shocker seeing, in my area at least, the amount of PS3's unattended by a HUMAN! especially here in NJ
    PS3 20gig
    Resistance Fall of Man
    NBA 2K7

Thread Information