Super Elite

Can you download demos to a USB drive and transfer to another PS3?

I am curious to see if there is any trick to get the demos you download onto a usb drive so that I can get them to my friend that doesn't have his PS3 online. Have any of you heard of any possible ways of doing it or is it just not possible. Thanks.

I severely doubt that. That sounds CRAZY.

Apprentice
    If I'm correct, there is no, I repeat, absolutley no way of saving a downloaded game to any extractable media, such as USBs or SD, CF, etc. These games are downloadable to your PS3 and only usable in it. No way you can share your game with your buddy. Imagine that being able to happen, not very good for sony, don't you think.

Super Elite

PSN ID
    chainclutch
    no you cant.. the only "downloadable media" that you can save on a USB flash drive(media) are the trailers, when you click to download a trailer from the PS store it askes you where do you want to save it to. the demos automatically download to your HDD.

Super Elite
    Well, I figured it was that way. Thanks for the help guys.

Superior Member
    I had heard a while back (just before launch) that copy protected media such as game demo's and movies could be transferred via Sony memory stick's only.

kinda as a reason to make you want to use a memory stick and not one of the other cards.

haven't tried it though.

Elite Member
    Couldn't you hook up the drive to your computer?
    PSN ID: solinent | I accept all friend requests! |
    *insert generic quote about the ps3 taking over including bold for maximum effect (colors and size changes also apply)*

branden1979
    Try using a portable Hard Drive. Not an external or internal. A portable one it use's a usb wire.

Super Elite
    I go into the demo options and there is no option to lets say copy the demo to another drive. I might have to try the memory stick option.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TidusX View Post
    I go into the demo options and there is no option to lets say copy the demo to another drive. I might have to try the memory stick option.
    I'm not even sure if that'll work. it was just something that was talked about right before launch. Because the article also mentioned that you could copy stuff up to 5 times to ditribute to friends.

I doubt it'll work because I haven't heard anything about it since, but if you have a memory stick it can't hurt to try it.

Apprentice
    well i tried to download the demos, it straight to download, didnt tell you where to save it, after download, it install straight away. so i dont think that's a chance. I believe it also have copy protection on the demos.

Super Elite

PSN ID
    chainclutch
    exactly.. you CANNOT choose to copy(via pressing triangle on the game to bring up the options) nor CANNOT choose where to save your downloaded demos. it automatically downloads them to your HDD without any options.

THE ONLY OPTION you CAN do is backup(with the latest firmware).... its under settings>system settings. you can backup your stuff on your PS3's HDD which includes the demos to a external HDD.

Super Elite
    Thats too bad that you can't share demos, it would be nice to take them to friends PS3 to have them try it. But oh well, maybe they can take it to my place and get online and download it.

what happens it you take your hard drive and put it in their ps3? does it recognise it is in a different machine than before?
    unless otherwise stated, my posts are lacking in true wisdom.
    there are only 2 things that are infinite. the universe and human stupidity. and im not sure about the former...

Supreme Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Does anyone who's been here for more than 3 months remember Sony discussing that sharing with 5 friends idea they had, were they going to implement that?
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

I haven't been here 3 months but I believe you could log onto your account on a friend's PS3 and DL games that you had paid for onto up to five unique machines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

burgniel
    First off... why would you want to do this?

The demos can only be played on PS3... anyone with a PS3 can download them... so it is kinda pointless to copy them to an external memory source.

Second...
    You can backup your harddrive to an external USB harddrive... but it is only able to be restored on your PS3.. no one elses.

Third.. if you buy a game online... (like Blastfactor) you CAN go to someone elses PS3.. log into it with your online ID and password.. and then download it to their PS3 for free for them to play as long as they log in as you. You can do this on 5 different PS3s.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burgniel View Post
    First off... why would you want to do this?

The demos can only be played on PS3... anyone with a PS3 can download them... so it is kinda pointless to copy them to an external memory source.

Second...
    You can backup your harddrive to an external USB harddrive... but it is only able to be restored on your PS3.. no one elses.

Third.. if you buy a game online... (like Blastfactor) you CAN go to someone elses PS3.. log into it with your online ID and password.. and then download it to their PS3 for free for them to play as long as they log in as you. You can do this on 5 different PS3s.
    For people who want the demo's but don't have their PS3 hooked up to the internet. This way if they have friends who have the internet they could just down load the demo for them and bring it over on a memory card instead of having to pack up their PS3 and lug it around.

Superior Member
    didn't realize my last post made it through. this can be deleted.

Thread Information