Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Super Elite

Things are looking up for HD-DVD

Universal is going to release 100 movies ONLY for HD-DVD. They still are not supporting Blu Ray. The war for the next generation of movies has only begun and will likely rage for years. There have barely been any stand-alone Blu Ray players sold. Almost all the blu ray players have been sold as a trojan horse via the ps3.
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...to_Blu-ray/449

Master Guru

nice. although not really bothered about the whole blu-ray hd-dvd fiasco.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Elite Member

Personally I just want one to die out, don't care which it is. But I'm not buying a next-gen DVD player until there is a clear choice.

Superior Member
    Interesting, I keep hearing that HD DVD was already buried.
    "That was left handed" - best line evar from commando from Command and Conquer.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pump Action Pimp View Post
    Interesting, I keep hearing that HD DVD was already buried.
    Thats because this is a ps3 forum and majority of us have ps3's while most of them probably havent been able to compare them side by side and only seen blu-ray and jumping to conclusions
    If It Ain't Broke, I'll Fix It Till It Is.

RickyDeHaas
    god why dont universal see that blu-ray will wil wit its more capacity and big studios after it(BLU_RAY)

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyDeHaas View Post
    god why dont universal see that blu-ray will wil wit its more capacity and big studios after it(BLU_RAY)
    that comment wasnt needed here
    If It Ain't Broke, I'll Fix It Till It Is.

Elite Member

Well the format war might just be getting started... Which sucks IMO. Well at least it will be interesting to watch.

Maybe I'll just buy the 360 HD add-on, it's not a huge investment.

justintheman99
    I know for me that add-on is getting more tempting with every passing day now that I have a 1080p capable TV. It is just to find one as it seems next to impossible!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by justintheman99 View Post
    I know for me that add-on is getting more tempting with every passing day now that I have a 1080p capable TV. It is just to find one as it seems next to impossible!
    I've only seen one on a store shelf. They must be selling at least decently.

I have a 1080p TV too but it's a Sony SXRD which can only accept 1080p via HDMI. Sucks for me...

justintheman99
    That does suck actually....Yah I have been looking for one for quite some time now and so far I have not been successful at all. The Wal-Mart here since its release has only gotten a total of 5 of them! Come on MS and meet demand!!! This is a chance to really get HD-DVD out there with these add-on drives.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickyDeHaas View Post
    HD-DVD currently has the highest capacity disc at comes in at 1gb over Blu-Ray's highest capacity functional disc.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedscorpion View Post
    Thats because this is a ps3 forum and majority of us have ps3's while most of them probably havent been able to compare them side by side and only seen blu-ray and jumping to conclusions
    That's because you got your head in the sand as well.
    Go look at other forums.

Universal will realize their mistake soon and release their titles on blu-ray.

Don't be a troll.

The ratio of studio support for Blu-ray is way higher by a factor of 3 than HD-DVD but don't worry Microsoft will release a blu-ray add-on for you next year...oh wait...I forgot..Xbox360 doesn't have HDMI output...ooopps.

Master Guru
    I really don't want to have to buy another player. I have seen both side by side and I have seen both on my TV. At this point, I just want the movies I want on HD, either format!

But I would rather have Blu-ray b/c that's what I already own!

justintheman99
    For me I dont care all that much about what format. I just want the cheapest route and for now that is HD-DVD as I own a 360 so the add-on is cheap. What else is a big factor is the movie prices....as of now which are cheaper to buy anyways HD-DVD movies or blu-ray?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by justintheman99 View Post
    What else is a big factor is the movie prices....as of now which are cheaper to buy anyways HD-DVD movies or blu-ray?
    The prices are almost identical at Amazon.com. "The Departed" on blu-ray and HD-DVD went up for preorder yesterday, and the HD-DVD is $4.00 more due to the fact that it's a combo disc (one side HD-DVD, the other side in standard DVD).

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by consoleboi View Post
    Don't be a troll.
    ...oh wait...I forgot..Xbox360 doesn't have HDMI output...ooopps.
    Anybody else see the irony here?

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Master Guru

That's because you got your head in the sand as well.
    Go look at other forums.

Universal will realize their mistake soon and release their titles on blu-ray.

Don't be a troll.

The ratio of studio support for Blu-ray is way higher by a factor of 3 than HD-DVD but don't worry Microsoft will release a blu-ray add-on for you next year...oh wait...I forgot..Xbox360 doesn't have HDMI output...ooopps.
    lol do you realise how much you just contradicted yourself there. its ok though because you probably didn't notice.

Rubics Cube
    This is great news. Just solidifies how well HD-DVD continues to do.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pez_555 View Post
    lol do you realise how much you just contradicted yourself there. its ok though because you probably didn't notice.
    No, I failed to see your point!
    Oh well..that's what you get for having your head in the sand I guess and supporting an inferior format.

Look luck with your dead weights.

Super Elite
    LOL I think this is funny people saying the PS3 users are the only ones buying the Blu-Ray when I know for a fact people are buying the PS3 simply because its a blu-ray player for 499.99. The other selections for players are around 1000.00 so why not get the PS3

So thinking that blu-ray players are not selling is because they cost twice as much as the PS3.. Trojan horse or not thats a better deal

And Universal will have to join Blu-Ray or they will suffer they can not swing the race based on there movies, too many Big names on Blu-Ray..

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoia13 View Post
    HD-DVD currently has the highest capacity disc at comes in at 1gb over Blu-Ray's highest capacity functional disc.
    wow, i didnt know that HD-DVD had 8 layer discs out? Last i checked, they had a functional 200gb Bluray disc, and a user has verified that it was able to be read on his existing bluray player.

Or maybe you just dont keep up with the news?

Sorry, Universal, while it has decent movies, isnt enough to keep a format alive all by itself.

Sony, Disney, Fox, MGM... all have a total of 0 releases on HD-DVD. While 100 movies on hd-dvd is nice, Bluray has countless more releases, plus better releases that wont be available on HD-DVD

The war hasnt just begun, its starting to wind down. The thread title is a little too optimistic. The "only" studio that is exclusive is releasing titles... that not "things looking up" thats, "well hell, we need to do SOMETHING to squeeze out every last cent we can"
    Playstation Network ID - LordFarquaad

Setup - HLS5087W, Denon AVR987, Sound Dynamics Loudspeakers, Paradigm Sub

Apprentice

Oh well..that's what you get for having your head in the sand I guess and supporting an inferior format.

While it's true blu-ray discs have the greater potential for quantity, thus far the image quality of their releases has been well below that of HD-DVD. Maybe if they would start using something better than MPEG-2, they could make some progress in sales. So maybe you should consider letting it go and stop talking now, chief.

Master Guru

if you saw my first post to this thread you would see that i have no concern who will win the format war. i was referring to what sparc quoted you on.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpburk2 View Post
    While it's true blu-ray discs have the greater potential for quantity, thus far the image quality of their releases has been well below that of HD-DVD. Maybe if they would start using something better than MPEG-2, they could make some progress in sales. So maybe you should consider letting it go and stop talking now, chief.
    Maybe if you did some research on the same titles that were released on both formats, you'll find experts have said their quality difference is not discernable.

Some parts of the movies where mpeg2 did better than AVC/VC-1 and vice versa.

I doubt the avg viewer would even notice and all this babbling are usually done by hardcore videophiles.

Thread Information