Page 1 of 8 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style

The Ultimate PS1 to PSP guide (including conversion process)

So you have your homebrew firmware and have upgraded to Dark Alex's v3.03OE-x firmware, now you have all of those PS1 games you've kept since you had your PS1 all those years ago, but you don't know how to convert them for playback on the Sony PS1 emulator for the PSP? Well this is the thread for you.

But before I tell you how to do this, what I want you guys to do is to test as many games out as possible and post what the compatibility is like, so something like this:

game name - region - works? - details

So for an example I'll use Grandia:

Grandia (Disc 1) - PAL - Works - Speech stutters frequently otherwise fine so far (have not tried a battle)

So now that you have that here's how to rip your PS1 games for the PSP:
    1. Download CDrWin, Auto Popstation 4, and Zapper 2000.
    2. Install CDrWin and extract the other two applications in whatever directory you like.
    3. Put your desired game in your optical drive and load up CDrWin.
    4. Select "Extract Disc", make sure that Disc Image/Cuesheet is selected, the correct optical drive, RAW readin options, and the rest left at deafults.
    5. For the filename press the [...] and browse to where you want to put the image (desktop is easer), then for the filename put the game code for the filename (it makes it easier later on), so for Grandia PAL it would be SLES02397.
    6. Hit Save then Start the rip. Once done you can close CDrWin.
    7. If you have an NTSC game then you can skip to step 11, for PAL then continue to read.
    8. Open up Zapper 2000 and select Pal to NTSC, then click "Search", navigate to your BIN file that you just created and click OK, the program will now scan the BIN.
    9. Once done it will ask you to save a zap file, click yes and save it to your desktop, don't worry about the extension as it automatically adds one for you.
    10. Now click "Apply ZAP" and use the zap file you just created, then select the BIN on the desktop, it will ask you if you want to backup the game, do so and save it elsewhere or as another filename.
    11. Once the BIN is patched (or if it was an NTSC game to begin with) then move it into your Auto Popstation 4 directory.
    12. When the BIN is in the same directory as "AutoPopstation4.bat" then double click "AutoPopstation4.bat".
    13. You should now get a DOS window, type the name of the BIN, for me Grandia's BIN was SLES02397.bin, press enter. Type in the name of the game, again for me I put in GrandiaD1 (for disc 1), press enter again.
    14. It will now ask you for a fragment, as we know the game code type it in to see if it comes up on the list, if you don't know it then type the name of the game and search till you have found it. If you did not find it press "y", if you did then stop the search with "n".
    15. It should now ask you for the game code, so here I put SLES02397 for Grandia PAL, next it will ask for a compression ratio where 0 is none and 9 is high compression, sometimes some games don't compress well or they don't work after being comopressed so you may want to try multiple times when the game works, so start at "0" first.
    16. Next it will ask for a Document.dat creation, personlly I prefer using the Core Doc Maker as it's straight to the point, though if you want to use the right image for the game then remember to replace the PNGs that are added. So press "d" and then let the program do its magic.
    17. Depending on the size of the game and your processor speed, the conversion can take anything between a minute and 10 minutes. Once done it will open up a directory and show you the newly create files.
    18. Attach your PSP to the PC and go to the PSPROOT://PSP/GAMES/ directory and move the newly created directory to here (so for me the directory name that was created was named after the BIN, so it was SLES02397.bin).
    19. Once finished copying over you can disconnect the PSP from the PC, go to Game --> Memory Stick and load your game!

Congratulations you've now got your own PS1 game on the PSP!

Below I'll add the games that have been tried and tested by us, the P3F members.

=C=
    • Crash Bandicoot 3 [gamecode?] [9] - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.
    • Crash Bandicoot Racing [game code?] [?] - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.

=D=
    • Delta Force: Urban Warefare [gamecode?] [9] - PAL - Works - No problems reported so far.
    • Driver 2 Disc 1 [gamecode?] [0] - NTSC - Some graphical glitches (Map sometimes does not work *the location you are at becomes tiled so thats all you can see on the map screen).
    • Driver 2 Disc 2 [gamecode?] [9] - NTSC - Works, though needs to test switching to this disc from disc 1.

=F=
    • Final Fantasy 6 [SCES03828] [0] - PAL - Works - Works perfectly, turn off power saving mode in the XMB as inactivity cause this game to have unplayable slowdown.
    • Final Fantasy 7 Disc 1 [gamecode?] [9] - NTSC - Works - No swirl effect before battle. Flickering text in battle.

=G=
    • G-Police Disc 1 [game code?] [?] - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.
    • Gran Turismo Arcade Disc [game code?] [?] - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.
    • Gran Turismo Simulation Disc [game code?] [?] - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.
    • Gran Turismo 2 Arcade Disc [game code?] [?] - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.
    • Gran Turismo 2 Simulation Disc [game code?] [?] - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.
    • Grandia Disc 1 [SLES02397] [0] - PAL - Works - Speech stutters frequently, the odd drop in framerate but nothing serious.

=M=
    • Metal Gear Solid Disc 1 [SCUS00594] [9] - NTSC - Sometimes getting strange sounds during Codec Conversations.
    • Metal Gear Solid Disc 2 [SCUS00594] [9] - NTSC - Sometimes getting strange sounds during Codec Conversations.

=R=
    • Resident Evil Director's Cut [SLES00969] [9] - PAL - Works, slight small black bar at the bottom.
    • Ridge Racer Type 4 [SCES01706] [9] - PAL - Works - No problems reported so far.

=S=
    • Suikoden 2 [SLUS00958] [9] - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.

=T=
    • Tenchu 2 [SLUS00939] [9] - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.

=V=
    • Vigilante 8 - PAL - Works - Viewing distance problems, slight black bar on top.

=W=
    • Wipeout 2097 [SLES00327] [0-9] - PAL - Game loads, runs the intro, then freezes.
    • Wip3out SE [game code?] [9] - PAL - No Music.

=X=
    • Xenogears Disc 1 [SLUS00664] [?] - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.

Reminder: This is strictly for those that OWN PS1 games, we here at P3F do not condone any piracy whatsoever, this is kept strictly for those that want to play their owned, bought PS1 games on their PSP. Also you do this at your own risk, I provide the links to where to get the software, I however do not hold responsibility for whatever happens to your computer or PSP (e.g. viruses, BSODs), I do repeat, do this at your own risk.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Did everything the tutorial said:

Compression level 9: 480mb
    Vigilante 8 - PAL - Works - Almost 100%: Frame rate is better then on PSX which is amazing =D. Though, the view distance is cut off by pure blackness.. This could be the compression. Also the screen was a few pixels down, almost a perfect full screen.

Uncompressed: 600mb
    Vigilante 8 - PAL - Works - Same problems as above.

Conclusion: I was a huge fan of this game and I loved the co-op modes and i am used to the almost full view distance, this is barely playable on the PSP sadly.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dedicated Member

You can also download ISO's from torrent websites, and convert them via PSX2PSP which is a helluva-lot easier and faster to do.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    GoreTex, did you even read what my caution was? I am not promoting piracy, I strictly wrote YOUR PS1 GAMES in there for a reason, don't mess up this thread already. The reason why I put YOUR GAMES also is because this is to get a genuine list up, for starters you don't even know whether the games on the net are even patched and such, with your original PS1 games you know what they are, original, and thus can give true feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Did everything the tutorial said:

Compression level 9: 480mb
    Vigilante 8 - PAL - Works - Almost 100%: Frame rate is better then on PSX which is amazing =D. Though, the view distance is cut off by pure blackness.. This could be the compression. Also the screen was a few pixels down, almost a perfect full screen.

Uncompressed: 600mb
    Vigilante 8 - PAL - Works - Same problems as above.

Conclusion: I was a huge fan of this game and I loved the co-op modes and i am used to the almost full view distance, this is barely playable on the PSP sadly.
    Did you use Zapper for the screen centering? I must admit Grandia did also go slightly off centre as well though what you could do is change the Y to a negative to see if that works. Although it was off centre, Grandia did show the entire game with no lower pixels lost. Final Fantasy 6 was just perfect for me. How is it barely playable though? Is it the blackness in the distance?

=Added=
    • Final Fantasy 6 - PAL - Works - Works perfectly, turn off power saving mode in the XMB as inactivity cause this game to have unplayable slowdown.
    • Vigilante 8 - PAL - Works - Viewing distance problems, slight black bar on top.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Goretex, did you even read what my caution was? I am not promoting piracy, I strictly wrote YOUR PS1 GAMES in there for a reason, don't mess up this thread already.
    No you didn't even have a caution when I first read it.
    But anyway, sorry about that.

Games i've tested:

Final Fantasy VII [Disc 1]
    - Region: NTSC [US]
    - Compression Level 9: 531 MB
    - Works

The only problems that I have encountered:
    - The character text on the bottom half of the screen during battles constantly flickers..[Only happens if I set the screen size to fit the whole screen. If i set it to normal or standard it only happens with the name that's on top of the list. ]

- The 'battle swirl' [The effect that appears when you engage in a Random Battle] is completely missing, it just doesn't appear. I just hear the sound and the screen 'freezes' untill the PSP is done loading up the battle.

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
    - Region: NTSC [US]
    - Compression Level 9: 129 MB [!]
    - Works
    - No problems/glitches what so ever!

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Well as long as well all know now then that's all good. ^^;

Cheers for the additions.

=Added=
    • Final Fantasy 7 Disc 1 - NTSC - Works - Battle text flickers, going into battle, no swirl effect.
    • Crash Bandicoot 3 - NTSC - Works - No problems reported so far.

Actually I think a good idea is to get the game codes from everyone so we know which ones they are exactly.

Ultimate Veteran
    Yup already thought about that with Zapper, Very quick process too on my 1.8Ghz duel core PC. Your right about the Piracy thing, but i also feel if you buy the game once you shouldn't have to buy it again. The only difference from mine to SONY's would be they add a document and also their files are more compressed & perfect screen centering. All of which can be acheived with a little playing arround with the X and Y positions, no problem.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    That's exactly the way I felt as well, I don't want to buy something multiple times if it's exactly the same product, which is why I decided to downgrade then use 3.03OE-C, and then create this thread.

Tell me how the negative centering comes along, if it works then I'll do that with Grandia as well.

Apprentice
    sweet i never knew how to do this before...and i just did FF7.

playing it now.

PSN: nightfire8199

Ultimate Veteran
    You know the step where you use "AutoPopstation" to find the serial of the game? It's already on the top of the disc. Maybe not illegal copys but Originals i would assume all have it.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    They do all have it, the list supplied is for double checking that's all, unfortunately you still need to do the process.

Ultimate Veteran
    Delta Force: Urban Warefare - PAL - Works - 100%
    Compression Level 9: 130mb

You get the exact frame rate as the original, i would love 60 frames a second, but i don't think PSX ever went that high.

Apprentice

I have managed to fix my own problem with the jittering character text in FFVII during battle sequences. I am using 3.03oe-c firmware and I changed the battle speed all the way left (Fast setting) and this has alleviated any jittering that I was having before. Also, I am playing with it set to fullscreen.

Hope this helps someone else... I always played this game on max battle speed on my original psx anyways so I like that this has fixed this issue for me hehe.

Let me know if this fixes anyone elses.

Master Guru
    Cool! When I've upgraded to the modded firmware, I'll try Crash Team Racing, Driver, and a few others!

Brian

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Chers guys, updated FF7 NTSC and Delta Force:
    • Delta Force: Urban Warefare [gamecode?] [9] - PAL - Works - 100%
    • Final Fantasy 7 Disc 1 [gamecode?] [9] - NTSC - Works - No swirl effect before battle. To remove flickering text in battle, set battle speed to fastest.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Chers guys, updated FF7 NTSC and Delta Force:
    • Delta Force: Urban Warefare [gamecode?] [9] - PAL - Works - 100%
    • Final Fantasy 7 Disc 1 [gamecode?] [9] - NTSC - Works - No swirl effect before battle. To remove flickering text in battle, set battle speed to fastest.
    Hey Varsh, im not trying to be a **** ...but eh..
    I've set the battle speed to FASTEST and the flickering of the text in battle still happens.
    What everyone should do is try out one of Tifa's Limit Breaks (With the slots) ..and then you'll see that the flickering of the text is still there. It's a real pain in the ass to perform Tifa's Limit Breaks thanx to this glitch

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Ok I'll pop that back in then. o_O

I'm going to make a quick script for me on my site so I can add this SO much easier!

Master Guru
    Ok. Crash Team Racing NTSC Seems to work perfectly. 0 Compression and not sure what the gamecode was. I just entered in the name Crash Team Racing, and it found the code for me.

Thanks for sharing this guide. Man, it feels good to dig up some of my PS1 games and give them some life again.

Brian

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    What is the game code and what's the compression you used?

Superior Member
    what about when your Y's dont line up or something like that
    26" Samsung - GAP Member
    PS3 - RFOM,FNR3,ES4,Mstm,Warhawk,COD4,AC,DMC4,NGS,Unchar ted
    Bluray = 15+, Modded PSP - FFCC and GOWCOO
    Modded 360 - Top 15 games-Mass Effect, Halo 3

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Use Zapper to change the X and Y axis.

Remember that unlike graphs, the X and Y start from the top left instead of the bottom left, so the negative goes upwards and not downwards.

Apprentice

Hey guys, I was wondering how games with multiple discs work out? For example, let's say I got to the end of disc 1 on FF7 and was asked to swap out with disc 2. Would I simply just hit X button and if the 2nd disc image was in the same game folder, it would automatically go on to the next disc?

I'd like to know this before I spend 20-30 hours playing one of these games just to find out I'm stuck at the end of disc 1... cause that would suck!

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Usually at the end of every disc, the game asks you to save the game (I think this maybe every game), in this case if the particular game doesn't allow for switching to the subsequent disc then all you need to do is load the sebsequent disc and load the saved game from the end of the previous disc.

I'm currently playing through Grandia at the moment so I'll be able to tell you guys what happens, I'm already 14 odd hours through it so I'm nearing the end of the disc.

Apprentice
    What alternative do you recommend to CDRWin? cdrwin doesnt work on my computer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Well Nero doesn't create ISOs, Blindwrite ISOs for some reason refuse to work, I'm going to try out Alcohol later so if that works then you'll have another option.

Thread Information