Latest PSU headlines:

$e73n

PS3 driving Blu-ray movie sales, outpacing HD-DVD

Finally some numbers that back up the Blu-Ray sales and the superiority over the HD-DVD.

Sony has made certain that recent Nielsen VideoScan sales figures would not go unnoticed, today heralding PlayStation 3 as a driving force behind a growing appetite for Blu-ray movie consumption. According to the Nielson data, during the first two weeks of January, sales of Blu-ray movies outpaced those of HD-DVD movies by a wide margin; in week one, 47.14 HD DVD titles were sold for every 100 Blu-ray titles; in week two, the margin grew to 38.36 HD-DVD titles for every 100 Blu-ray titles. High-Def Digest suggests that, despite HD-DVD's head start, overall sales of the two formats could be equal in a matter of weeks; while Sony is already confident that "Blu-ray has surpassed HD-DVD in cumulative sales."

It should be noted that during those first two weeks of January the only high-def titles released were two Blu-ray movies: The Covenant (Jan. 2) and Crank (Jan. 9). Also, if we are to credit PS3 for the Blu-ray sales spike, we should notice that not a single PS3 game was released during that two-week period (see: PS3 release schedule). There's reason for Sony to be proud that allegedly 90% of PS3 users have watched a Blu-ray movie; but from our perspective, we'd be just as willing to applaud if that percentage dipped in favor of deeper gaming experiences.

Perhaps the game drought has worked in Sony's favor, generating greater interest in Blu-ray movies, while early PS3 adopters wait for the software library to grow. No doubt Microsoft is also closely watching high-def movie sales; and if the current trend continues, a jump to Blu-ray is always possible.

Master Poster
    As we knew this would happen.

Forum Elder
    I'm sure the game drought isn't the reason, cause if you can't find games, you buy PS2 games, not movies.

They have been outselling HD DVD for a while now... i dunno, it seemed like they didn't know...

Forum Guru
    Doubters will always doubt, but many of us in the Playstation camp knew this would happen. It's just going to snowball from here, so bye-bye HD-DVD. Make way for the larger format.
    Now writing: two Ratchet & Clank novels, a Sly 4 novel, and two rock albums
    PSN ID: Tetsumura/Tetsumaru019
    Pray for this planet! And I don't mean the environment

Angelfan27
    HD-DVD was in trouble from the start and this pretty much confirms it.

Veteran
    I want to see BD sales after the Euro launch.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    I want to see BD sales after the Euro launch.

Yep, like I wrote somewhere before, Europe and the rest of the world are still on the VERY begining of Hi-def formats (hd-dvd and blu-ray).
    So the Ps3 will push more that anywhere else blu-ray over there. I'm 100% sure about that.
    HD-DVD had a head start here in the US or Japan and is already getting outselling by blu-ray.
    Everywhere else it's a different story....so : goodbye hd-dvd.
    Quote Originally Posted by a member on slickdeal
    hey guys, The PS3 sounds great but I don't know if my computer could handle it. It's a 1.5GHZ processor and 512GHZ ram according to the box. Could I run the PS3? Thanks.

Superior Member
    Also, companies like Universal selling DVD/HD-DVD combo discs discourages people from buying them. I mean, Give people the option, dont make a combo disc and force them to pay extra for it.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TofuOnoPhD View Post
    Also, companies like Universal selling DVD/HD-DVD combo discs discourages people from buying them. I mean, Give people the option, dont make a combo disc and force them to pay extra for it.

LMAo!! now this is funny

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think the nice thing about the PS3 is that not only does it give BluRay a major head start in 2007 but it also gives other manufacturers a chance to bring down production costs in standalone players significantly.

2007 will belong to BluRay, that is just a given, but 2008 will see an onslaught of standalone sales as well. That's my prediction. The BluRay Association has played its cards very well so far, and it looks like it's a format that is here to stay.

Superior Member
    i knew from the start that blu-ray would win the war over hd dvd

Thread Information