Latest PSU headlines:

$e73n

HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc Copy Protection Fully Hacked

And finally it has been done and confirmed.....took longer than i thought.

A hacker by the name of Arnezami has now found the processing key used to decrypt ALL HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc movies.

It is no longer needed to use an individual encryption key per title, this new crack provides a media key, a processing key and the volume ID that allow any HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc film to be copied.

SlySoft has announced that the hack is working on a spiritual successor to AnyDVD and CloneDVD that will allow the back-up of any HD DVD movie. Even more, the utility will automatically remove messages such as the FBI warning
    Source = http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-25194.aspx

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by $e73n View Post
    And finally it has been done and confirmed.....took longer than i thought.

Source = http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-25194.aspx

I already posted that....do a search before posting new thread
    Quote Originally Posted by a member on slickdeal
    hey guys, The PS3 sounds great but I don't know if my computer could handle it. It's a 1.5GHZ processor and 512GHZ ram according to the box. Could I run the PS3? Thanks.

Master Poster
    heard about this yesterday. doesnt make much a difference to me though. its just another one of those milestones that ya know is gonna be reached sooner or later

Have an AV/Home Theater question? Send me a PM and I'll be glad to help!
    Blu-ray.com - My HT Setup
    AVSForum - My HT Setup

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielh View Post
    I already posted that....do a search before posting new thread
    Search doesn't always work.

And is this really a surprise to anyone? It was inevitable.

Apprentice

Fully hacked? Well, AACS appears to have been hacked, however the master keys mentioned in the article are probably application specific keys, which can be blocked in future hd/bd releases, iirc. Also, Blu-Ray has BD+, which studios have been reluctant to use thus far, but this might be a perfect time for them to roll out with it.. Regardless, all anti-copy schemes are pretty much just temporary stopgaps for determined hackers, but bd+ may make hacking take a little longer if/when it's used.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Opaque Sheen View Post
    Fully hacked? Well, AACS appears to have been hacked, however the master keys mentioned in the article are probably application specific keys, which can be blocked in future hd/bd releases, iirc. Also, Blu-Ray has BD+, which studios have been reluctant to use thus far, but this might be a perfect time for them to roll out with it.. Regardless, all anti-copy schemes are pretty much just temporary stopgaps for determined hackers, but bd+ may make hacking take a little longer if/when it's used.
    Exactly. The reason movie studios sided with Blu-ray and not HD-DVD was because Blu-ray had one hell of a anti-piracy system on top of the fact 25-50GB ISOs aren't very internet friendly.

In a nutshell, the thing Blu-ray can do specifically that HD-DVD can't is reject known hacked discs (like the guy did above) or new discs can reject known hack player firmwares until the player's firmware is updated rendering the hacked keys useless. Blu-ray's anti-piracy measures are actually more complex than this, but this is the best I can explain it. If you can find and read the anti-piracy specifications of Blu-ray you'd get a headache trying to comprehend it all at once and that's just what blu-ray will become to hackers is a headache to keep hacking.

In this internet enabled world with devices being able to update via the web piracy just has a hard time keeping up. As soon as something is hacked a patch is out that renders the hack useless and if you don't get the update you forfeit all your rights to use future releases for your hardware. It's a very evil form of copy protection, but pirates have pushed the movie and game industry to take such drastic measures.
    Like my post? Show your support accordingly.

"Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Karate master, and Microsoft is still not black belt." - Ken Kutaragi on XBL

Thread Information