Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    -Damien-

Blu-ray surpasses HD-DVD in life-to-date sales number

Disney says 'Game Over'

http://www.videostoremag.com/news/ht...ticle_id=10323

The scales tipped in favor of Blu-ray Disc the week ended Feb. 18, according to preliminary data.

““Game over. We see that the consumer is voting with their dollars with a clear preference for Blu-ray,” Chapek said. “This clear, objective measure shows the writing is on the wall.”

“Seeing HD DVD in our rear-view mirror is no surprise to us,” added David Bishop, worldwide home entertainment president, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

“As we noted at CES, the format war is in its final phase,” said Steven Feldstein, SVP of marketing communications at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. “It’s never been a question of if Blu-ray will pass HD DVD, but a matter of when.”

Superior Member
    No doubt Blu-Ray wins, but this soon?

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Does this mean a SONY brand Blu-Ray DVD add-on to the X360? or will they just screw and give up? lol.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Apprentice

I kind of feel sorry for all the folks who have wasted their hard earned cash on HD DVD, but in a way they get what they deserve. All the evidence pointed to BD winning from the very beginning, they should have made a more educated purchasing decision.

Supreme Veteran
    All this time HD-DVD has been saying they will win because they are cheaper. Obviously aren't cheap enough

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibie View Post
    All this time HD-DVD has been saying they will win because they are cheaper. Obviously aren't cheap enough
    Its classic, i've heard so many times . . . .

Donating for me is always welcoming . . ., please donate me

Apprentice

Ken Graffeo, the executive in charge of the HD DVD effort for Universal Studios Home Entertainment, said, “Given that the life-to-date title sales ratios are close to 1:1, and given that Blu-ray has a 5:1 ratio right now on the hardware side due to the PS3, why aren’t Blu-ray software sales outpacing HD DVD by a similar ratio?

“In fact, HD DVD players continue to have an attach rate (life to date) that is more than five times that of Blu-ray players.”

Graffeo added Blu-ray has simply released more titles. Indeed, industry newsletter The DVD Release Report shows that, in 2006, there were 129 Blu-ray titles released to HD DVD’s 140. However, so far this year, through Feb. 16, the Blu-ray suppliers have released almost double the number of HD DVD titles. There have been 35 Blu-ray releases to 19 for HD DVD, many of which have been HD DVD/DVD combo discs.
    I have a feeling that any day now Universal is going to announce Graffeo's dismissal from the company. I hope for his kids college fund's sake he wasn't the one to convince Universal to solely support HD-DVD. Maybe Toshiba will have an oppening for him.

Apprentice

Good News...Good News
    I don't think Universal will roll over as easily as we all hope they will, but the definite trend is certainly tilting the scales more and more into the blu ray camp.
    Once a few more top movies are only released on Blu ray, I think that will start the end of the end. I mean, it has to be a slap in the face that Pirates Blu Ray is outselling most HDDVD titles and its not even available for months..!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MERCCLASS View Post
    I have a feeling that any day now Universal is going to announce Graffeo's dismissal from the company. I hope for his kids college fund's sake he wasn't the one to convince Universal to solely support HD-DVD. Maybe Toshiba will have an oppening for him.
    i think its funny that in one quote they will say that "you cant use ps3's when counting #'s of BluRay players because not everyone uses them" then 5 minutes later they say that the attach rate is low even though bluray has 5x the amt of players out.

Its quite funny really, and pretty emabarassing.
    Playstation Network ID - LordFarquaad

Setup - HLS5087W, Denon AVR987, Sound Dynamics Loudspeakers, Paradigm Sub

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcubed View Post
    i think its funny that in one quote they will say that "you cant use ps3's when counting #'s of BluRay players because not everyone uses them" then 5 minutes later they say that the attach rate is low even though bluray has 5x the amt of players out.

Its quite funny really, and pretty emabarassing.
    Yea well that doesn't really matter because in comparison Bluray standalone players sell almost as much as HD-DVd standalone players with the ratio being about 48% to 52% respectively.

Anyway, I'm really shocked about this..........not. HD-DVD will be a forgotten technology by the end of 07/beginning of 08.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCell View Post
    Yea well that doesn't really matter because in comparison Bluray standalone players sell almost as much as HD-DVd standalone players with the ratio being about 48% to 52% respectively.

Anyway, I'm really shocked about this..........not. HD-DVD will be a forgotten technology by the end of 07/beginning of 08.
    whats a HD-DVD? Im confused @_@
    PSN ID: Pasawarrior
    Games: GoW Collections---Warhawk---COD:MW2---MGS4---PJ Eden---PJ Mosnters---Locoroco Cocoreccho---Mortal Combat 2---UT3---Killzone 2---Uncharted 2

resstealth
    both formats are gay, too damn expensive

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    haha there goes $200 down the drain just becaue MS said jump they JUMPED, well i think its time to jump out! viva la blu-ray

Apprentice
    HD DVD is pretty much going to be stuck in last place from now on.

Master Poster
    lol, I feel like the article was a waste of my time... because it had no bias lol..
    They need to have a conclusion or something... What's the editors opinion?
    Nos Locos kick your ***, Nos Locos kick your face, Nos Locos kick your balls into outer space!

Forum Overseer
    I have not seen a movie that was said to be on HD-DVD on TV for a very long time now. It's usually Blu-ray. Surprisingly, PS3 has played a big part in BR's success yet.

jakncoke
    Now the question is , how long will it take BR to take a decent market share from DVD

Dedicated Member
    Its strange, all I see on TV now is movies coming to DVD and Blu-ray.... I haven't seen anything come to HD-DVD in a while.
    PLAYSTATION®Network Online ID - MistahRoth

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbay View Post
    Now the question is , how long will it take BR to take a decent market share from DVD
    a while...but i would guess not as long as most people think. Consumerism is a monster in this country.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MERCCLASS View Post
    Well, IMO Bob the dinosaur just oughta deliver a wedgie to that pointy haired executive Graffeo.

Apprentice
    it's funny. people up here in Finland don't even know what blu-ray is. i asked my local videofirma makuuni whitch is a pretty big movie-renting-chain of stores here if they will have blu-ray movies up for rent for me when ps3 launches and the worker there hadn't even heard about it. can you imagine that=)?

i think dvd will be big here for several decades since people here are so oldfashioned. though stores here says that hdtvs are selling like hotcakes everywhere so i guess that means something too. we'll see...

Elite Member

Attach ratio's are BS numbers invented to tide stockholders and such in place a lil longer...

Fact:
    1 Million players installed: Attach ratio 2:1 = 2 million units of media sold
    100,000 players installed: Attach ratio 5:1 = 500,000 units of media sold...

It's all about software sold: What sold more software there?
    It's all about hardware sold (for potential software sales): What sold more hardware there?

If that ratio constantly expands on both sides, what's still going to show higher softwares sold?

This war is nearing it's end already... It's a shame Sony haters have to eat some salt... but now they can concentrate on bashing the Playstation 3!!!

videl
    blu ray is awesome! and it is nice that it will win !!! yeahhh....

Forum Guru
    looks like that PS3 infiltration into the BR market worked out just fine for Sony huh?

Trojan Horse FTW!!!!! (Again!!! )

Superior Member
    By the time PS3 arrives in Europe, I'd find hard to believe HD-DVD could stand a chance when it's already struggling to keep up.
    How big will the sales ratio bee then?

Thread Information