Super Elite

PSN ID
    chainclutch

Two Million for Gundamn Musou?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/767/767135p1.html

Two Million For Gundam Musou?
    Bandai Namco wants to sell a lot of copies of its latest PS3 game.

by Anoop Gantayat

February 23, 2007 - PS3 software hasn't exactly been crowding the top ten sales charts over in Japan. Even Virtua Fighter 5 made a one week appearance at the top (just barely beating out Wii Sports) then fell to oblivion the next week.

The question is, when will a PS3 game hit the top 10 and remain there until it's sold a billion copies?

That answer could be ours next week when Gundam Musou sees Japanese release. Bandai Namco and Koei held an insiders-only (that's the industry kind of insider, not the IGN kind) event in Tokyo today to mark the completion of this unlikely combination of Gundam and Dynasty Warriors. At the event, Koei cofounder Keiko Erikawa had this to say about the upcoming title: "We've made a fantastic game. Gundam Musou is the most ordered PlayStation 3 game, but it's just one tenth of the sales we're thinking of. For us, Bandai's Gundam is one million , and the Musou series is one million. We'd like to sell a total of two million copies."

A Bandai Namco rep later lowered that forecast to one million worldwide sales.

Sony Computer Entertainment Interactive Chairman Ken Kutaragi was also at today's event and, speaking about Gundam Musou, said "Second generation software has already come out. While a variety of things were said early on, including that development is difficult, we've already crossed into the second generation in half a year."

Kutaragi also touched briefly upon the impending European launch of the PS3, stating that Sony has already shipped a million systems for the late March launch. It's still a bit early, so we presume that "shipped" doesn't mean shipped out to retailers.

But before that, we'll apparently be getting a look at "second generation" PS3 software when Gundam Musou hits Japan next week. Check back here for impressions.
    personally i think its LAME!!! im not a gundam fan and after seeing how HORRIBLE Cross Fire reviews where, why would people buy this next Gundam game? its only been 3months since the first one came out? i can imagine how horrible this title will be, only people in japan will buy this crap as usual.

Apprentice
    ehh, it's a completely different game. It's like saying that one WW2 game sucks = all WW2 games suck...

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneIII View Post
    ehh, it's a completely different game. It's like saying that one WW2 game sucks = all WW2 games suck...

What he said,it's a different game,I may buy it since I play Dynasty Warriors,here's to it being a hit and most of all........................A good Game.

Dedicated Member
    Actually gundam musuo looks ok. Its not a graphical masterpiece by any means but it looks really smooth and playable unlike crossfire.

Apprentice
    japanese crowds are going to dig this and for the PS3 that's all that matters, if it sells 2 million units, that means that there will be 2 million units...which is good...i expect most of the sells to be in Japan. This will definatly drive Japanese PS3 sells..

Super Elite
    I don't agree with how harsh you're being about it, but I do not like gundam games myself--or any mech games for that matter.

PS3 games owned
    Resistance fall of man
    Tekken 5 DR
    Motorstorm

Industry Insider
    Westerner's think Gundam is crap...the rest of the world thinks WW2/Same ole western ( we have no creativity ) shooters are crap. A lot of crap on both sides if you ask me. I understand it's not your cup of tea, but to each his own. Only people in Japan would create crap like the PS3.

Breaking Beta Builds Since 83

Elite Member
    this looks like a good game but if koei actually thinks it is going to sell 2mil they must be on crack.

i think it might sell 500k but even that is pushing it unless the bundles sell a lot of units in JP

Apprentice
    I will buy it , Im fan of Musou .

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LexusIS350 View Post
    Westerner's think Gundam is crap...the rest of the world thinks WW2/Same ole western ( we have no creativity ) shooters are crap. A lot of crap on both sides if you ask me. I understand it's not your cup of tea, but to each his own. Only people in Japan would create crap like the PS3.
    You must not know alot of people then, Gundam is probably one of the more popular animes outside of Japan. In Japan it's a beast, which is why the crap games sell great, and along with Dragonball Z, it was a show that helped anime get it's footing in the US and other nations. Are you being sarcastic about that claim about the PS3 being crap?
    P L A Y S T A T I O N 3
    I N
    2 0 10

Lupe Fiasco; this generations most lyrical, deepest and best rapper! True Hip Hop

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm getting this game. I guess I like crap.

It's important to understand that the Musuo series is pretty huge in Japan - likewise for Gundam. So, it probably is generating some interest among Japanese gamers.

It could sell two million eventually, just not in a short period of time. Also, for those of you saying you're going to get it, are you importing (or are you currently residenced in Japan)?
    The Goalie Thong (for soccer/football fans with girlfriends and/or have female reproductive organs themselves): http://www.cafepress.com/soccball.105943022

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Travaughn View Post
    You must not know alot of people then, Gundam is probably one of the more popular animes outside of Japan. In Japan it's a beast, which is why the crap games sell great, and along with Dragonball Z, it was a show that helped anime get it's footing in the US and other nations. Are you being sarcastic about that claim about the PS3 being crap?
    AGREED this kind of game is massive in Japan especially, another huge game like VF5 to shift consoles, Sony has software to appeal to all nations...
    Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Polyphonic, Incognito, Studio London, Studio Liverpool, Evolution Studios, Guerilla Games, Digi-Guys, Factor 5, Sony R&D, Media Molecule there why I own a PS3... Thanks guys...

Superior Member

I'll buy it. Any word of a NA release? Maybe I'll import it to get the full feel...

jakncoke
    I wonder how consoles this game can push in JPN , Do you guys think its big enough to sell out all Ps3's over there?

Thread Information